It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Meteorite Discovered in China

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Here is a link to some other meteorites for some more info.

I have always like the smooth iron ones.

meteorites

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Oh, about the lead type, maybe it was an alloy, the oven didn't have to be over 700ºF for me to pour (that was it's MAX). I would begin to clean the oven at 600º when it was largely liquid, (dropping in some canister of blue something wrapped in a lead casing), it smoked like hell for about 20 minutes, (one leaves the room), and gets the dirt to float on top so I can skim it off and throw on the floor.

Pure lead as an element has a melting point of about 622º F. I know I can melt thin solder with a match. Only tin, and 'phosphorus' have lower metal melting points than lead, unless you count mercury.

I wouldn't be surprised if the lead I melted was a tin alloy lead, but mostly lead because it was very heavy and tin isn't. I'd wager to guess that a cubic foot (easily one of the 'dump trucks') I had to empty weighed over 700 pounds. Water is about 62 pounds per cubic foot. I'm sure you can look up tin.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Inspectors find metorite in China
edit on 30-7-2011 by amongus because: chinese oppression

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Lead is beautiful because it always holds it's gleaming silvery sheen. I used to paint some small ingots with gold metallic paint to tell my friends (we were kids OK) that I have real gold bars. Of course gold is heavier, but kids really didn't know by how much. A tiny palm sized ingot would be a sizable weight, like 5-8 pounds. OK, I'm done hijacking this thread, sorry.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join