It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*snip*washington hashtag takes Twitter by storm

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
A number of alternative sites are reporting this.

www.rawstory.com...

Most suddenly-popular Twitter hashtags refer to events or celebrities that currently are in the news. But every once in a while, one erupts out of nowhere to capture the mood of the Twitterverse.

The hashtag *snip*washington is currently making the rounds in just that fashion. As explained in a post at tagdef.com, "Thousands of tweets erupted in a matter of hours on #Jul23 protesting the US's failed debt ceiling talks and general policies. Spurred by @JeffJarvis . Seen by some as part of #WorldRevolution or #USRevolution."

A second post helpfully adds, "Our discontent with the way things operate. It's gross."

Although the tag may have been inspired by the current impasse over raising the debt ceiling, it seems to have released a much wider sense of frustration. Within a few hours, message boards like Democratic Underground were gathering some of the best tweets using the tag.

"*snip*Washington For Forgetting WHO you represent, Families, Elderly,Moms,Kids, WORKERs..NOT the CoporatePigs who you cater to...#ShameOnU" one reads.

"*snip*washington for sending our soldiers on 6, 7, 8 tours to combat zones yet thinking it's too much to ask the richest to pay taxes" say another.
And @YourAnonNews -- a Twitter account associated with Anonymous -- tweeted, "*snip*Washington for thinking activists are the same as terrorists."

(,,,,)

Fabulous!

edit on 26-7-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

Mod Note:
(This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread ?... Look Here First.
edit on 7/26/2011 by maria_stardust because: removed profanity from thread title and throughout the post

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I don't use twitter.
Could someone tweet ##youwashington for deciding internet poker is not okay but arming ruthless Mexican crime syndicates is okay.
Thank you.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
For non Twitter users, you can see live updates on the tweets on this link:

opendna.freeshell.org...

Some more tweets:

@TheNewDeal: Nothing Terrifies the Top 2% More Than the Thought of the Bottom 98% Refusing to Take it and Revolting. ##YouWashington #p2

@CaptJackWolf: ##youwashington for wasting our #time #money #people and #murder ing innocent civilians. #WeThePeople want our country back for #liberty

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

edit on 26-7-2011 by lernmore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Sad thing is twitter blocked it from trending almost immediaetly while the hashtag blamethemuslims went on for hours....smh

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
f#ckyouwashington is great! I think tweeting is stupid but everyonce in a while i find stuff interesting like this. How come nobody ever brings up the fact that maybe we shouldn't be worried about the troops heading off to so many tours?Is it because they did sign up for the job. I take that last statement back.
How come we place so much blame on the career politicians? Afterall isn't it our job to keep them in check?
Gee am I missing something or are we getting played by the sheepherders we elected as a whole. If I hear the saying that we live in a democracy again....I am just going to shake my head and kick cans down the street. lol.
We can do better, we can actually use democratic means to overhaul the Republic form of gov't to put it back on track the way it should be. Interesting concept isn't it? Its even written in our constitution! Whats that you say? Why its the "LAW OF THE LAND". The constitution ensures that we the people have the power and not the Corporation of the USA. Plain and simple, get off the tweet box and start making it happen people! Our founding fathers of this country were brittish terrorist because they believed in a better system. Heck they could also be considered freedom fighters too. I guess sheep don't realize that there is only one shepherd and many sheep. Only obediant sheep take abuse because they are too stupid to realize that they are the only ones responsible for their destiny. So in the spirit of blogs and twitter or whatever social media....Fo(kwashington and get off your butts and lets bring the governing back to its roots
BTW i am protesting tomorrow up and down interstate 44 in missouri. I'll encourage the same to YOU to speak out if you don't like what is going on
edit on 26-7-2011 by agentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Unfortunately the Twitter generation don't want to know the truth. Last time I looked a few moments ago, it was 'Kenan & Kel', 'Sister Sister' and a bunch of other crappy mainstream 'idols' I've never heard of.

From my own experience, every time I tweet the 'truth', Twunfollow informs me that an average of 3 people have unfollowed. People are happy to run from the truth all day long, anything that might remotely affect their cosy little bubble is rejected.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

(sniff sniff sniff)
smells like revolution...

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Thats just awesome and brilliant!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

Of course, you can guess why...

Twitter is not owned by Muslims. ;-)

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Sure its a nice sentiment to tell washington what you think however keep in mind that it wont change a single thing. No matter how many people retweet this or facebook about it or make google+ posts about it nothing will change because these are just hollow words. The only thing that will create real measurable change is action, and that'ts not something most people are willing or capable of doing on a scale that gets the point across to those in power.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
lol niice!

Here is Jeff Jarvis's (guy who started it) blog. Jeff Jarvis
www.buzzmachine.com.../

and here's a map showing all the F.Y.W.'s
trendsmap.com...

ohh yeah..
Ef You wa$hington.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by AussieAmandaC

(sniff sniff sniff)
smells like revolution...

Indeed it does. Social media working at its best.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

'Bout time it was used for something other than furthering the 'nasties' agenda, who incidentally ARE a minority.

The world is watching guys...don't forget that

Very exciting times indeed....

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
Sure its a nice sentiment to tell washington what you think however keep in mind that it wont change a single thing. No matter how many people retweet this or facebook about it or make google+ posts about it nothing will change because these are just hollow words. The only thing that will create real measurable change is action, and that'ts not something most people are willing or capable of doing on a scale that gets the point across to those in power.

I agree, this is just pure silliness. It's amazing that people can tweet some idiotic comments and think that they are somehow involved in a revolution by doing so when in fact no one but their fellow tweetheads are listening. And does anyone think that silly little tweets that start with profanity are really going to be taken seriously? Those kids need to grow up, there are avenues for telling Washington what we think and tweeting isn't one of them.

"##youwashington for sending our soldiers on 6, 7, 8 tours to combat zones yet thinking it's too much to ask the richest to pay taxes" say another.

This is typical of the ignorance, the top 5% of the wage-earners in America pay 45% of the tax burden. Clearly they're paying taxes, and more than their share at that. Besides, what in the world does that have to do with soldiers being called on for multiple tours? Apparently one must leave logic at the door to engage in tweeting.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

I can't disagree with you more when you stated that using Tweets isn't one of the avenues that should be used to tell the government what we think.

We need to use every single avenue available to us. We need to echo our voices every which way possible so they can hear our voices reverberating off the walls of their offices and bedrooms! I'm not a tweeter, but I'm glad that there's people who are and I commend their efforts. Wasn't Obama attempting to tweet to Americans in the past couple of months? If he can send the American people his ideas and words through Twitter, the American people can use Twitter to communicate with him.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
What is really funny to me is that I am a 37 year old adult am apparantly not mature enough to be able to read the word
#. It has to be replaced with symbols.Has ANYONE stopped to think about how #ING rediculous that is????

What purpose does that serve??
This is a news story that is vedry relevant to events of today, and we aren't even able to
gather the information as it is without some modification because it is offensive???
We all know what the word is anyway! Why can't I be allowed to read it as is???
Am I a child?
Are there children on this website?
Give me a break!!!
Start questioning reality!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I'm reading the Twitter Live right now, one individual called for a general strike, at least proposed the idea. Another individual proposed something similar, storming government buildings of some sort, but all in all, it shows that the anger is growing, and the rage is there, if change doesn't come now, that rage could lead to explosion of violence.

That being said, the hashtag has reached MSM
, I think one Tweet said that it is playing live in MSNBC right now, but I don't watch these channels, so can't confirm.

ETA:

The Google web results show a massive spike in results for the hashtag, 1 minute ago it was 8000 results, now it is 12,000. This could lead in to something bigger, but just a baseless assumption, after all, didn't the Arab revolutions start similarly?

Also let's not forget that this coincides with the news that thousands of soldiers that are being deployed in American soil, that is an article I read here in ATS.
edit on 26-7-2011 by confreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AussieAmandaC

'Bout time it was used for something other than furthering the 'nasties' agenda, who incidentally ARE a minority.

The world is watching guys...don't forget that

Very exciting times indeed....

I agree, and yes, they ARE a minority, in fact they are a TINY minority............such a tiny minority it's ridiculous that they have been allowed so much power. See the video below, it's a paradigm changer:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
And then Homeland Security decides that everyone who writes such things are terrorists, thousands are rounded up, and the jails get even more crowded. Meanwhile, nothing changes. But maybe, just maybe, it would be the last straw for everyone else.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join