It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fears that the Hendra virus has crossed species.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I don't know too much about Hendra virus, Living in Brisbane, I know a few years back there was massive steps taken into investigating this Virus, and all seemed to be in control after the last outbreak until about a month or so ago, and it's popped back up, 5 horses have died (as said on Courier mail), and as reported in the news today, a Kelpie (dog) has contracted the virus whilst living on a property with an infected horse.
Courier Mail article

Here is some other info on the Hendra Virus (Although this link was only updated to Feb 2011, not including the recent horse deaths)
CSIRO on Hendra Virus

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Sad how it kills so fast. Even more tragic if it now spreads more through humans as it is zoonotic, seven people in the past died from it. Articles say it spread to dogs in 1994 as well. Hopefully it can be further contained as they said it has been and this is only isolated.
Article:news.smh.com.au...

Symptoms of Hendra Virus

The list of signs and symptoms mentioned in various sources for Hendra Virus includes the 8 symptoms listed
below:
* Respiratory illness
* Flu-like illness
* Fever
* Drowsiness
* Coma
* Seizures
* Inability to breath
* Paralysis
symptoms

Symptoms may share with other animal diseases as well as with people but make sure to be have your pet/yourself checked out if you're near the place/s of infection and notice the symptoms.
edit on 26-7-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

I remember the last outbreak....not long before Spring racing season. Is this the same area as the last outbreak? I don't have a problem with culling of bats, in fact I hate the little diseased bastards.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I bet there are no reports of Hendra virus or anything like it before the first outbreak a few years ago. Now we have hi security bio-tech labs full of the stuff. Bats and horses have been sharing airspace for years. Now all of a sudden we have a trans species virus. I don't believe it for a second. This is something that escaped from a lab. Who knows how it will mutate and how virulent it will become. Smells like an NWO population control experiment to me.

As for the bats they are not endangered, kill every last one of the mofos that even looks at a race course or a horse farm.
edit on 26-7-2011 by AusiAnarchist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Unholy batsh** ...the greatest threat to mankind may be starting near my own backyard.
In this part of the world bats are everywhere they leave presents on your car your driveway your verandah, its spooky looking through a telescope here as the threat of contracting the Hendra virus could be a side affect from star gazing.
Its truly a red alert event.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
We just went through something similar here; keep your livestock home. Don't take them off your place and don't allow other animals on your place. There is no other way to keep your animals safe and healthy. Once infected death soon follows but it will be safe enough two to four weeks after the last animal gets sick.

Good Luck, you'll need it.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AusiAnarchist

Being a beginner astronomer myself I also get scared by the bats at night, I imagine one flying down the tube of my Dobsonian and messing up the optics.
They are a strange breed alright put pity those who take bat eradication into their own hands, the Bat Gestapo don't take kindly no not at all.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Sorry guys! forgot this was here, my 1 year old is keeping me busy that's for sure! I haven't really heard anything else, at least since last week where they ended up putting down the kelpie that was found with it in its system.

bluemirage5, it does seem to pop out close to spring racing season, or at least preparation for it - maybe it's no coincidence? (I said that with my conspiracy hat on, of course
)

Either way, it's either being downplayed, or it would seem the threat has passed - or my local news sources are crap!

new topics

top topics

join