It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

450? Low Magnitude Earthquakes Recorded On El Hierro In The Canary Islands

page: 1
6

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
There has been a recent increase in earthquakes on El Hierro, which translates to "The Iron" at the Canary Islands which has prompted the government there to action to improve the location of the seismic events, even though they are saying to the population that there is nothing to worry about yet.

According to the following website the total number of earthquakes which have been recorded is 450.
www.irishweatheronline.com...



The following is a view of the western side of El Hierro.



Here is where the last earthquake was recorded according to the Irish source.



The above photos are from the following link.
www.irishweatheronline.com...

Now, I have been trying to find original sources in Spanish that corroborate this amount of earthquakes have occurred, the number that I found which is close to what the article from Ireland says is from 3 days ago, and it says that so far there have been registered 386 earthquakes since July 17th.

buscandoladolaverdad.blogspot.com...

All of the Spanish articles I have read so far do say that the number of earthquakes is very unusual, but that they are still giving a green light to this unusual swarm of earthquakes, and they are telling citizens to be calm that the situation is normal.

Let's hope it is true and nothing comes out of this.

Here is the original report given to the press by The Scientific Committee of Pevolca, it is in Spanish.
www.02.ign.es...

edit on 26-7-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)




posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Here is another article in English that says there have been over 400 tremors of low magnitute at the island of El Hierro.


The Canary Islands Government has said it is monitoring an earthquake swarm on the small island of El Hierro where in excess of 400 tremors of low magnitude have been recorded in the past four days.

On Friday, the Ministry of Economy, Finance and Government Security Canary convened the first ever meeting of the Steering Committee and Volcanic Monitoring, reflected in the Specific Plan Protection Civil and Emergency for Volcanic Risk, given what it described "the significant increase in seismic activity".
...


One fact that I didn't know until now and it is very telling is the following.


According to ElHierro.com: "Although over 200 years have elapsed since the last eruption, El Hierro has the largest number of volcanoes in the Canaries with over 500 open sky cones, another 300 covered by the most recent outflows, and some 70 caves and volcanic galleries, notably the Don Justo cave whose collection of channels surpasses 6km in length."

www.sott.net...

So let's really hope nothing comes out of this.



posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Also found this very informative video about this event and some more information about the island of El Hierro.




posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Worth watching this I'm feeling! .... if it goes off in a big way in this area ....... will the surf be up? ... lets hope not.



posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I know what's causing the swarm and it's nothing to be alarmed about (unless you actually see it).....
They've started a branch of weight watchers there and it's just a load of fat people doing star jumps

(sorry for the appalling humour there)

Being serious, this is something to keep an eye on, it seems something is going on down below.



posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by yellowbeard
I know what's causing the swarm and it's nothing to be alarmed about (unless you actually see it).....
They've started a branch of weight watchers there and it's just a load of fat people doing star jumps

(sorry for the appalling humour there)

Being serious, this is something to keep an eye on, it seems something is going on down below.


"nothing to be alarmed about",,,"just a load of fat people"

guess thats sticking to the topic and informative.

u must know the Mods i guess.

sad



posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This is something definately worth keeping an eye on.

Perhaps the Island is beginning to wake up, seems very unusual however but may just be some groaning to remind people how the island was formed



posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
There has been a recent increase in earthquakes on El Hierro, which translates to "The Iron" at the Canary Islands which has prompted the government there to action to improve the location of the seismic events, even though they are saying to the population that there is nothing to worry about yet.

According to the following website the total number of earthquakes which have been recorded is 450.
www.irishweatheronline.com...



The following is a view of the western side of El Hierro.



Here is where the last earthquake was recorded according to the Irish source.



The above photos are from the following link.
www.irishweatheronline.com...

Now, I have been trying to find original sources in Spanish that corroborate this amount of earthquakes have occurred, the number that I found which is close to what the article from Ireland says is from 3 days ago, and it says that so far there have been registered 386 earthquakes since July 17th.

buscandoladolaverdad.blogspot.com...

All of the Spanish articles I have read so far do say that the number of earthquakes is very unusual, but that they are still giving a green light to this unusual swarm of earthquakes, and they are telling citizens to be calm that the situation is normal.

Let's hope it is true and nothing comes out of this.

Here is the original report given to the press by The Scientific Committee of Pevolca, it is in Spanish.
www.02.ign.es...

edit on 26-7-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)


According to this website the number of quakes is even higher, @ 620

Regardless this is an area to keep an eye on.

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...



posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Disconnected Sociopath

According to this website the number of quakes is even higher, @ 620

Regardless this is an area to keep an eye on.

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...


Yep, according to the Irish newspaper they upgraded the number to 620 earthquakes. Thanks for the heads up.


620 Earthquakes Recorded On El Hierro In The Canary Islands


By Mark Dunphy - Tue Jul 26, 1:22 pm

The Canary Islands Government has said it is monitoring an earthquake swarm on the small island of El Hierro where in excess of 620 tremors of low magnitude have been recorded in the past week.
...

www.irishweatheronline.com...

Here is a google picture that shows where most of the earthquakes have occurred.




posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
BTW, the real bad news is if this activity affects La Palma, a large chunk of Cumbre Vieja could crumble into the sea and cause a massive tsunami.

The following pictures are from a simulation done by Stephen N. Ward and Simon Day.



www.tsunami-alarm-system.com...

The East coast of the U.S., as well as the Caribbean islands and parts of Central America would have about 7-8 hours notice, meanwhile South America would have about 6 hours notice from the time the tsunami forms due to Cumbre Vieja crumbling. Most people would not have enough time to leave the east coast and would result in the worst natural disaster in the known history of mankind.

Let's cross our fingers and hope the activity quiets down and doesn't affect Cumbre Vieja in La Palma.

The two islands are at the western most side of the Canary Island chain.

La Palma is on the top left side, and El Hierro is on the bottom left side of the following picture.



The pictures can be found at the following site.
www.worldatlas.com...


edit on 26-7-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
6

log in

join