It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: News Blackout in Najaf?, Iranian Journalist Arrested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Iraqi police announced that all reporters must leave the city of Najaf, and said they could not guarantee the reporters' safety should they not heed the request. One Iranian reporter was arrested during a live report.

www.abc.net.au
Iraqi police brandishing rifles threatened to arrest journalists unless they left the Iraqi town of Najaf, raising fears among local reporters they were attempting to impose a news blackout on the holy city.

At least 20 reporters had travelled to the southern Iraqi town, where Shiite militiamen fought fierce battles with US and Iraqi forces, after the collapse of peace talks aimed at ending fighting that has killed hundreds.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Total news blackout imposed, sounds like something nasty is about to happen and they want no coverage. I will update as news becomes available.

Related News Story
Iraqi government evicts reporters from Najaf as fighting resumes
[edit on 8-15-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 8/15/04 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
This is different from a "news blackout" in that the reporters are being told to leave because they cannot be protected. It's an unwritten rule in journalism that you can remain behind without being dragged off after a warning like this but you do so at your own peril.

I'm sure some will stay... theres always one.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Total news blackout imposed, sounds like something nasty is about to happen and they want no coverage.
[edit on 8/15/04 by JacKatMtn]

I think it is shady. I wonder if they will or do have freedom of speach.
Its not america they have there own rules. I also wonder are us troops there? If so, it has stopped the news from being in the war any time before this. What has changed?

join