It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The extraordinary creatures that live in the freezing waters of the Russian Arctic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

The extraordinary creatures that live in the freezing waters of the Russian Arctic

Naked Sea Butterfly from the White Sea in the Russian Arctic

Resembling eerie beings from a far-off planet, these see-through jelly-like creatures cruise the waters of one of the most remote and inhospitable seas on Earth.

The pulsing orbs and tentacled balls of flesh live 130ft underwater, encased under the ice sheets of the White Sea in the Russian Arctic, in temperatures only just above freezing.
S ource

'Most people think that pretty, colourful animals can't live in the dark and cold water in the northern seas beyond the Polar Circle. The White Sea show you another world with its own aliens, and some of them are really amazing creatures.
So urce

An Amphipod Hyperia Galba that was eaten by a Lion's Mane Jellyfish.

Dryodora Glandiformis

See the source for more: Th e extraordinary creatures that live in the freezing waters of the Russian Arctic

I've always enjoyed seeing pictures of deep sea creatures. The transparent 'beings' from the depths.. More to add to my list of fascinating rarely seen creatures.

edit on 26-7-2011 by dreamingawake because: more

edit on 26-7-2011 by dreamingawake because: sp

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
S+F from me, some of the creatures that live in our waters are truly fascinating and it makes you wonder..

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Indeed!
The Naked Sea Butterfly almost looks like it's suspended in space with stars in the background and galaxies inside of it.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

To be honest, it looks more other worldly than a lot of things I've seen, I created a thread a while back with similar sort of pictures and I remember being just as in awe, like I said makes you wonder

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
My thread on similar:

In Pictures: Icy Jellies

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Seeing stuff like this really makes you wonder what lurks in the depths of the Mariana Trench, huh?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

Exactly, I'm sure even more interesting then what was found in the past...

The clams, mussels, tube worms, and other creatures at the vent have a symbiotic relationship with bacteria. The giant tube worms, for example, have no digestive system - no mouth or gut. "The worm depends virtually solely on the bacteria for its nutrition," says microbial ecologist Colleen M. Cavanaugh of Harvard University. "Both partners benefit."
Source

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
i thought the first one looked like a flying penis with horns

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

It does have a .... Sea 'cucumber'

new topics

top topics

join