Hello there ATS'ers,
First of this will be my first response as I have just registered with ATS. Next off I would like to mention to you that what I am about to tell you
is easily researched so please be so polite as to familiarize yourself with the subject before throwing hate comments my way.
While I was at University I have spent a lot of time studying Ecology, Biology, Chemistry and other
Earth Sciences thus I would like to say IMHO that I have a decent grasp on the Issue. In order to show you please visit one of the projects I have
published on the WWW as a result of the courses taken at Dalhousie University as it relates to this topic.
Now to make my point about the issue of population control I will provide you with some sound facts about nature concepts;
1st Ecological Overshoot
2nd Buffer System
3rd Biological Displacement
4th Gradual vs Exponential Growth
Now to explain how these four concepts relate to humanities presence on the globe. In order to guide to the point I will be making I will start with
concept # 4. The biggest problem humanity is facing is that we grow at an exponential rate of 2.5% I believe, which indicates a doubling time of our
population of about 15-20 years. This type of growth has started during the industrial revolution in the early 19th century. It was the result of
shifting population dynamics allowing for the growth of industrial and service complex. What I mean by that is prior to this event (industrial
revolution) about 85% of humans were “employed in food production” the other 15% percent made up industry and services. However in the years
following these numbers reversed allowing 15% of the human populous to produce enough food for the rest. This enabled sudden technological advance
(look around you), by doing so allowing for more efficient production of food, medicine etc. This in turn has increased population growth
substantially allowing for exponential growth rather than sustainable or gradual growth. Proper reasoning for that is presented on my website
Now to concept #3 Biological Displacement, what does this actually mean? In very simple terms for every bit of earth we occupy and use for our own
needs we take something away from another species/ecosystem. We change water flow causing droughts, deforest the rainforest drastically affecting
local eco- and climate systems, etc. What this means on a grand scale is that the assertion made earlier in this thread that we would eventually live
in a world populated by us and farm animals is essentially correct.
Which brings us to concept #2 a Buffer system; you might wonder now what that is? Here we go as I was though in so many chemistry classes, a buffer
system is a system which can withstand input into the system only showing minor change until the input reaches threshold levels. Once this level
reached drastic change in the system will occur. This concept applies universally in chemistry as well as in biology. But what significance does this
have to population control. Let me enlighten you! Due to our continuous need to maintain exponential growth of humanity our need of faster extraction
of resources from the ecosystem Earth is equal to the input into the buffer system, however as above mentioned that will only last up to a certain
Which finally brings us up to concept #1, and this is where it gets interesting. Ecological overshoot and the implications of this concept are hard to
handle as they indicate a rather fast collapse of our population and were not just talking about a few million were talking about billions. So this is
how it works:
One species goes into exponential growth (ie Humans) and by doing so is depleting the ecosystem it inhabits (biological displacement). This will last
for a while until the ecosystem in question experiences a collapse of the food chain as a result of the pass down effects produced by the strong
population growth of the species in question. When this collapse happens the population which grew exponential will collapse until it drops under the
production rate of the ecosystem and levels itself again.
What does that mean are you asking, well let me enlighten you again. Through the past 200-300 years humans have spread around the globe making it
productive for our needs. By doing so we have sped up extinction rates through several different processes explained on my website. Now we are at a
point where we are occupying ever piece of productive land on earth barely able to sustain the human populous and its need. Why am I saying “barely
able” well go to the WHO and look at the shrinking world food reserves.
This brings me to my conclusion about population control:
Nature will do it for us if we don't.
Thx for reading.
If you have any question concerning this I'll be happy to elaborate.
edit on 26-7-2011 by criticalthought because: (no reason given)