It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's most humane jail set to host Norwegian killer Anders Behring Breivik

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

World's most humane jail set to host Norwegian killer Anders Behring Breivik

www .news.com.au

THERE are no bars in Norway's toughest prison and the guards do not carry guns.

Halden jail, a short drive from Anders Behring Breivik's native Oslo, could be the self-confessed mass murderer's home for decades, The (London) Times reported today.

Housing up to 252 murderers, rapists, drug dealers and other hardened criminals, Halden was designed as the world's most humane jail.

Read more: www.news.com.au... ye6AU
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 25-7-2011 by guessing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
So not only does he live after the attack but he will spend the rest of his days living better than most people in the modern world.

Where is the justice in a sytem where there is premeditated murder?

Where is the deterrant to not commit terrible crimes? Knowing that the worst that will happen is being sent to a prison for 21 years that has flat screen TV in your hotel like luxury cell.

Blows my mind to think how messed up the world is

Then again the media report is thrown out there to enrage people right? Part of this master plan currently in motion.

www .news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 25-7-2011 by guessing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Yes, here in Norway, it's quite a difference in prisonment compared to most other places. I don't know the explanation of this in English, but if they find him still dangerous for our society after he's served the 21 years, they can lock him up 5 years every time they make that decision. So in theory, he could spend the rest of his life in prison.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Propaganda. If it such a great place to live, why don't you offer yourself as an experimental participant to prove it?

There is no such thing as a "nice" jail, no matter what it looks like on the inside or outside.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
He will be sharing a common room with 11 other inmates with crimes that range from rape, murder etc.

Not to worry, he won't last long enough to watch his favorite sitcoms on that big ol' Flat Screen.

Housing up to 252 murderers, rapists, drug dealers and other hardened criminals

Each inmate has his own cell, which looks more like a mid-range hotel room, with an en-suite bathroom. The rooms have flat-screen television sets and a mini fridge. Some are allowed to have DVD players and limited access to the internet. Twelve prisoners share a living room. Read more: www.news.com.au... TpSNq

edit on 25-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I still don't understand why they didn't just splatter his brains all over the pavement.

Is there no crime so heinous that committing it deserves execution? Wheres the justice?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
A gilded cage is still a cage.

But only 21 years? OMG! Even if they don't have the death penalty, this guy should NEVER be let out of prison.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The areas from the article that are being quoted in this thread, that are not giving an accurate picture of reality.

Instead:

Judge Kim Heger ordered the 32-year-old Breivik to be remanded in custody for eight weeks - the first four of which are to be in solitary confinement - following a 30-minute, closed-door hearing amid tight security yesterday.

Read more: www.news.com.au... o1WZD

The maximum prison sentence in Norway is 21 years, but the sentence can be extended if a prisoner is deemed a risk to the public.

Halden jail, a short drive from Anders Behring Breivik's native Oslo, could be the self-confessed mass murderer's home for decades, The (London) Times reported today.

"Could be", could mean, he will see that place in 10-15 years, or he may never see it at all. This is not a clear depiction of Norway's justice system obviously, it is irresponsible reporting.
edit on 25-7-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

But only 21 years? OMG! Even if they don't have the death penalty, this guy should NEVER be let out of prison.

Canada has Maximum 25 year sentences (I think they recently changed that though), but in all the years it was that way, serial killers were not being released. They have safeguards from letting that happen.

Irresponsible reporting. Nothing more than that.

I don't know exactly what Norway's laws are, but I know they are more complicated than that article is pointing them out to be.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Yes, but like DrakeBlood said, they can lock him up forever because of the severity of his crimes.

It's kind of interesting seeing which countries still have the death penalty

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
He was trying to use terror to force a change on their system. If they do change, he wins. We gave into the fear here in the US I hope Norway does not make the same mistake....

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Text Ten years and 1.5 billion Norwegian kroner ($252 million) in the making, Halden is spread over 75 acres (30 hectares) of gently sloping forest in southeastern Norway. The facility boasts amenities like a sound studio, jogging trails and a freestanding two-bedroom house where inmates can host their families during overnight visits. Unlike many American prisons, the air isn't tinged with the smell of sweat and urine. Instead, the scent of orange sorbet emanates from the "kitchen laboratory" where inmates take cooking courses. "In the Norwegian prison system, there's a focus on human rights and respect," says Are Hoidal, the prison's governor. "We don't see any of this as unusual."

Wow, "There's a focus on human rights and respect"
Tell that to the victims.......

Halden Prison

www.time.com...

edit on 25-7-2011 by inthemass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
WOW!!! Lock me up for life!!! Shoot can I order in some Chinese food and strippers too???

PS3 24/7!!!!!!

This ain't jail, it's heaven..

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Maybe they can lock him up at His Majesty's pleasure.

Since Norway is a monarchy too, I don't see why this should be impossible.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by guessing

I know many poor people in the US who would welcome these conditions and consider this sort of a set up "assisted living." Many are elderly and don't get around well on their own anyway. They would be delighted to have 3 regular meals served to them and get to watch a TV. Health care and regular check ups would probably be the final selling point. For many this would be a step up from what they have here now.

I guess what I am saying is our poor, even the lowest incomes in the US do not have this same degree of human dignity and respect shown to the prisoners in Norway.
edit on 25-7-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Its an experiment. America's prison systems are obviously failing. If the prison environment is harsh enough the inmates won't know any better once they get released back into society. Prisons not only exist to punish people but to reform and deter them from criminal behavior in the future.

Let the Norwegian inmates live in luxury and they will have nothing better to do than think about what they've done and how they're going to change.

edit on 7/25/2011 by BirdOfillOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by inthemass

Wow he murders almost 80 people( most of them young adults and children) cold-blooded un-mercilessly and gets to live in a decent prison with many amenities and privileges

This is BS no Justice served the man should at-least never be released from Jail and be in solitary confinement for what he has done.

And i wouldn't shed a tear if this guy was executed. I know many others wouldn't either

He's an animal murdering that many people.

He needs to be put away forever.

It really irks me and i'm sure many others that this man can go out pre-meditatedly kill 80 people many of them children also.

Then he will eventually end up in this halden prison.

I hope to heck he isn't offered all of what the source you quoted says.

This is not justice.

P.S he even wrote in his manifesto that he would abuse the lax/lenient justice system in Norway.

This is despicable.

edit on 25-7-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
For psychos like this, he shouldn't spend the rest of his life in jail, imo... That would be a waste.

I believe all the parents that lost their kids from this madness should get 5 minutes in a closed dim room to do whatever they please. He'll most likely be permanently crippled or close to death. Next, don't give him any pain killers or medical assistance but give him some water. Then it's time for round 2 and 3 and 4, if he's still conscious.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen
Its an experiment. America's prison systems are obviously failing. If the prison environment is harsh enough the inmates won't know any better once they get released back into society. Prisons not only exist to punish people but to reform and deter them from criminal behavior in the future.

Not only that, but to teach the people through leadership. If you completely take away everything, and treat them horribly, you make them feel justified in their actions. The idea is for them to develop remorse, whether or not they are going to be released.

Edit to add: Most countries with relatively lax prisons, do not let people like the one in the OP enter them. They are usually kept in the strictest ones.
edit on 25-7-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join