It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15yo Daughter's personality change

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Get her committed somewhere excellent, right away. Somewhere where they can get her medicated to an appropriate amount and get her sorted out. I'm speaking of a psychiatric facility. By the time she is 18 you will have lost her - you're running out of time.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SecretGoldfish
reply to post by Lacyisarobot

Sounds very familiar, and is what I'm afraid of.

Did you ever notice a pattern to your moods?
edit on 26-7-2011 by SecretGoldfish because: typos

No, I don't think I noticed any kind of pattern besides the typical highs and lows of addiction.

Perhaps your daughter could benefit from hormonal birth control. If she is experiencing a hormonal imbalance it could solve her problems in just weeks. I stopped feeling like I needed to be medicated almost immediately when I got pregnant with my daughter, and never used hormonal birth control until after her birth. These past three years have been the easiest, emotionally that I've ever had although for the first time in my life I have actually had a legitimate reason to be depressed.
Also, when you're depressed and don't know why and can't make any sense of your feelings it can be very hard to talk to a therapist. It used to leave me feeling worse. Like in any field, there are people that are no good at their jobs. I would suggest that you screen any mental health professional before having your daughter see them.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Lacyisarobot

Yes, BCPs are one of the first things we want to try, honestly. Interesting that you noticed a stabilizing effect from them, that's precisely what we hope to see from them.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
As easy as it would be to blame teenage hormones, you need to look into bipolar II disorder.
You said the cracks were there for years, they are symptoms, not cracks. And mental illness often fully manifests itself in the teenage years. 15 is about right.

She needs a full psyche workup, a mood stabilizer and an anti depressant, and a therapist who knows what they are doing.
All the things you mentioned, the drug use, the bad decision making, the depression, are all symptoms of bipolar disorder. They are not the cause.

And you can do your daughter a big favor and accept she is sick instead of trying to pin it on every outside influence you can think of.
edit on 26-7-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
As easy as it would be to blame teenage hormones, you need to look into bipolar II disorder.
You said the cracks were there for years, they are symptoms, not cracks. And mental illness often fully manifests itself in the teenage years. 15 is about right.

She needs a full psyche workup, a mood stabilizer and an anti depressant, and a therapist who knows what they are doing.
All the things you mentioned, the drug use, the bad decision making, the depression, are all symptoms of bipolar disorder. They are not the cause.

And you can do your daughter a big favor and accept she is sick instead of trying to pin it on every outside influence you can think of.
edit on 26-7-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

Sorry, I didn't realize that I *had* tried to pinning this on every outside influence I can think of. All I've done is suspect there might be more going on here than the doctors have been inclined to see so far.

Let me make it clearer then: I don't rule out anything. She is going to continue w/ therapy and meds.

When I see a monthly cycle following her menstrual cycle though, I suspect there might be a hormonal component.

You locking on BPD-II is no different than her last doctor locking in on depression and anxiety disorder.

Could be, but maybe not.

Thanks though

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretGoldfish

She locked herself in a tent for six weeks. No amount of hormonal problems cause that. You have blamed hormones, you have blamed vaccines, but it is everything except the child herself.

Finding a doctor is even remotley competent in mental illness is hard. Most claim to have experience but they do not. Regular physicians are not your answer. An incompetent doctor can send someone with a mental illness spiraling even further. You have to tread carefully.

Most doctors lock onto depression and will stick with that diagnosis as if a life depended on it.
If you see a new doc, do not tell them the diagnosis, let them figure it out for themeselves.

If it were hormonal, you would also notice complexion changes, extreme weight gain or loss at a quick rate, hair changes, sleep disturbances, etc. Hormones effect every part of the body and will manifest themselves physically.

edit on 27-7-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

If it were hormonal, you would also notice complexion changes, extreme weight gain or loss at a quick rate, hair changes, sleep disturbances, etc. Hormones effect every part of the body and will manifest themselves physically.

Not necessarily, it depends which hormones the individual is 'reactive' to and why. It would be worth her while keeping a diary of her menstrual cycle, noting anything mood wise, or physically, that seems unusual, different or just worth noting. Even if her problems aren't primarily due to hormonal inbalance or her reproductive cycle in general, they could be exacerbated by them, making it much harder for her to cope at those times. The diary will highlight any other patterns too, and possibly give her a physical manifestation of her 'illness' to focus on, and a sense of control, which can be more important than anything. Especially when trying to communicate it to others.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

edit on 27-7-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

You're wrong about this. It can be far more subtle, non-systemic.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I would highly suggest that the usage of her "pot" to control mood swings be stopped. At least until a later age. That young of an age, really screws with the development of a child's brain, not to mention what it might be causing on a hormonal level. That would be my recommendation. It is too much of a crutch at that age, when she should be figuring out how to cope with stresses and whatnot, not looking for a quick release for a short period of time.

Other than that, I really don't have much advice. Show lots of love (i'm certain you do already), and let her know you are there no matter what. She won't believe a word, lol, but that's what teen girls are notorious for. Good luck and keep the chin up!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Then it wouldnt' be enough to cause such major mood changes.

Hormones regulate the body. They won't selectively just choose to alter the mind.
If it were reproductive hormones enough to alter personality, she would be having major reproductive issues.
If it were other hormones regulating other systems such as temperature or sleeping cycles,any amount of those would alter her physically as well.
And one wrong amount of hormone will affect another, causing obvious physical problems, either never sleeping, always sleeping, eating too much, not eating enough, fatigure from raised heart rates, growing hair where you shouldn't, losing a lot of hair, etc.

there are not only hormones that only affect teh mind.

Typical male, always wanting to place women's problems on the reproductive issue.

<< 1   >>

join