It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese fighter jets 'repel' US aircraft

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Chinese fighter jets 'repel' US aircraft

www.ft.com

Two Chinese fighter jets crossed an unofficial dividing line in the Taiwan Strait late last month in pursuit of a US spy aircraft, according to defense sources in Taipei and Beijing.

The incident marked the first time in more than a decade that Chinese military aircraft have entered Taiwan’s side of the 180km-wide strait. According to Taiwan’s defense ministry, two Chinese Su-27 fighter jets briefly crossed the so-called “middle line” on June 29.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I wonder if they were trying to make the US aircraft land on the mainland? Or if they were prepared to actually shoot it down.

I'm sure that the US naval CAP was inbound in addition to the Tiawanese fighters, by the the time they broke off. But things seem to be getting tenser in the region on a weekly basis.

www.ft.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 25-7-2011 by TDawgRex because: Big Fingas

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I doubt they were trying to force a landing or trying to shoot the plane down. I believe they were trying to scare the pilot into leaving. An attack from China would come on their terms so that we would have little to no time to prepare. This is more us invading them then the other way around.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Stuff like this was common between the U.S. and Russia back in the days of the Cold War. The Chinese want to show they are willing and able to put up a fight - but neither want to really be the first to cause a problem.

I highly doubt the Chinese were going to do anything more than fly up and participate in various rituals involving the issuing of certain gestures. It's a time-honored tradition among pilots - any foreign aircraft in your territory is free game for showboating and later crashing your aircraft (which then you try and blame on 'interference' from this foreign aircraft).

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
when the chinese stealth fighter is operational, the spy planes won't know what hit 'em.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BrianC

I tend to agree. We all spy on one another as nations. As a old Soldier, I actually miss the Cold War. Things seemed more stable then.

But if we think that the Chinese are the of same mindset as the Russians, we have another think coming.

They will at some point, try to provoke a response. All the while trying to make us the bad guys in the UN.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Any Country not spying and intelligence gathering would be insane. Security is part of any Government job and in fact is likely the most important, ranking with things like food, water and energy.

In this case with Taiwan in the mix, this is old meaningless news.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Why? Because they will actually shoot them? That would be the dumbest thing ever. China-come get ya some!!!!

Originally posted by randomname
when the chinese stealth fighter is operational, the spy planes won't know what hit 'em.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

The Chinese have harrassed US aircraft before. In the incident detailed below an unarmed EP-3E was intercepted and had to land in China after losing its nose in a collision with one of the interceptors.

Here's an extract from a website by David Lednicer "Aircraft Downed During the Cold War and Thereafter" :

"1 April 2001 A US Navy EP-3E Aries II (BuNo 156511) of VQ-1, with a crew of 24, was damaged in a mid-air collision with one of two intercepting People's Republic of China PLANAF J-8 II Finbacks off the coast of Hainan Island. The EP-3E made an emergency landing at an airbase in Lingshui China. The pilot of the J-8 II (81192) involved in the collision, Wang Wei, ejected and was lost at sea. Wang Wei was a pilot in the 25th Regiment of the 9th Division of the People's Liberation Army Navy Air Force, based at Lingshui. The pilot of the second J-8 II, Zhao Yu, returned safely to base. On April 11th the USN crew of Shane Osborn (pilot), John Comerford (co-pilot), Richard Bensing, Steven Blocher, Bradford Borland, David Cecka, Shawn Coursen, Jeremy Crandall, Josef Edmunds, Brandon Funk, Scott Guidry, Jason Hanser, Patrick Honeck, Regina Kauffman, Nicholas Mellos, Ramon Mercado, Richard Payne, Kenneth Richter, Marcia Sonon, Jeffery Vignery, Wendy Westbrook, Rodney Young, Mitchell Pray (USMC) and Curtis Towne (USAF) was released and flew home on a chartered Continental Air Micronesia Boeing 737. The EP-3E was disassembled and returned to the US in a Polyot An-124 Condor in July 2001."

David's website lists intercepts and shoot-downs 1945 to 2005, here's the link to it:
Intercepts and Shoot downs etc

Here's a Wikipedia link with more detail of the EP-3E incident, with a photo showing some of the damage :
Hainan Island Incident

Hope this is of interest !

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I didn't think that we still used Spy planes I would think that they all all retired. Than they should have used the SR-71 Black bird she maybe old but she still fly's higher and is faster than any thing else on the planet.

Like to see China try and shoot that down lol..

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Probably a U-2 flying in international airspace.

But of course the chinese claim 90% of the South China sea as territorial waters in a blatant case of resource grabbing, and are getting more and more aggresive about it with everyone as they become richer & more tecnologically advanced.

All part of the replacement of the USA as teh world's dominant power - nothng to worry about.....unless you live in hte Philipines, Borneo, Sarawak, Taiwan, etc.....

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Why? Because they will actually shoot them? That would be the dumbest thing ever. China-come get ya some!!!!

Originally posted by randomname

No, they'll be mad at us because one of their fighter jockeys managed yet again to fly into an unarmed ELINT aircraft and crash into the ocean. But then again, it may be yet another opportunity to force a heavily damaged spy plane to land in China for a stab at gathering counter intel.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Reaper2137

Salient point Reaper. I would venture to say it was likely a UAV. From what I've gathered there was no visual or audio identification, purely radar. The small signature given off by a UAV would easily be mistaken as a stealth aircraft.

Taking a ride up to max alt. and max airspeed in the SR-71 is second only to space travel on my to-do list
edit on 25-7-2011 by ateuprto because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ateuprto

Salient point Reaper. I would venture to say it was likely a UAV. From what I've gathered there was no visual or audio identification, purely radar. The small signature given off by a UAV would easily be mistaken as a stealth aircraft.

Taking a ride up to max alt. and max airspeed in the SR-71 is second only to space travel on my to-do list

Yes but I don't think that China is going to be able to hit it. but you do bring up a good point about UAV's but I would think that in this day and age. we would be using spy sats.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reaper2137
I didn't think that we still used Spy planes I would think that they all all retired. Than they should have used the SR-71 Black bird she maybe old but she still fly's higher and is faster than any thing else on the planet.

Like to see China try and shoot that down lol..

There are many spy planes still in use today.

The tried and True U-2 “Dragon Lady” is still in service, the P-3 “Orion”, RQ-4 “Global Hawk”, RQ-1/MQ-1 “Predator”, RQ-9/MQ-9 “Reaper”, RQ-170 “Sentinel”, RC-135 “Rivet Joint”, RC-12 “Guardrail”, etc. I am sure I have left many of them off this list.

However as sad as it is, the SR-71 "Blackbird" has been retired... Twice!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I agree, it seems a bit backwards given our operational capabilities. Makes me curious about the whole story actually. Could just be China blowing smoke. Could also have been a military aircraft that crossed the line unintentionally and max thrusted its ass on out of the airspace.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
So the US spyplane was over the Chinese mainland, obviously without permission?

Google earth not good enough for the yanks?

No, you cannot JUST go where you want. My next door neighbour got his dogs, the chinks got their SU's.

Same old.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
no need for racial slurs on here.

as to the op this aint nothing new china and the us have been playing cat and mouse for decades and yep just like we did during the cold war with the russians.
edit on 26-7-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Think of how many wars would be started if ALL nations armies were in DEFENSE of their homelands, and actually stationed in their homes waiting for an invader?.
All this spyng only has one purpose and thats to see if you can take advantage and invade to loot their resources, its never been about 'national security', its simply to make sure they won't beat you in what should be a fair fight.
Fairdos and respect to any armed forces for wanting to defend their homes and way of life ( no matter WHO they are) but they must be the dimmist people on the planet, if someone were to attack your home why on earth would you go to their country? all their doing is maintaining the profits of arms manufacturers, the're not changing anythng to their own or their families benefits but their more than willing to do someone elses bidding, someone who doesn't go to the frontlines and hold a gun and risk their own life.
Armies should DEFEND and not attack.
So go on, flame me you 'old' soldiers but you didn't know what you were doing back then did you?, you were just following orders.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by harryhaller
So the US spyplane was over the Chinese mainland, obviously without permission?

Nope - there's no evidence of that at all - just like the EP-3 wasn' over Chinese airspace wheh the Chinese fighter collided with it, and just like the old TU-95 Bears weren't over anyone's airsp[ace when NTO fighters used to intercept them in the North Atlantic.

Google earth not good enough for the yanks?

No, you cannot JUST go where you want. My next door neighbour got his dogs, the chinks got their SU's.

Same old.

Yep - some stupid poster on ATS blowing off about something they clearly know f-all about!!

Deny ignorance indeed!

edit on 26-7-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join