It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reason I created an ATS account is for some advice on enlisting in the US Navy...�

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Point to you. The military itself is not necessarily evil and serving your country can be a good thing.

Counterpoint against you - the military-industrial complex is overgrown and self-serving, and currently not a thing to lend aid to, and the actual leaders at the top are self-promoting ongoing activity to fulfill an agenda. Additionally, the republic is not best served by going out on constant larks and raising the ire of the rest of the world for reasons that don't really support our national interests and in addition dilute our forces and leave them weary from multiple and extended deployments.

Thanks, Kro - I would have less of a problem supporting the military if it were in the hands of people and motives I could trust and were actually acting presently in the best interests of the united States. I believe Ike spoke well on the risks of the military industrial alignment and the founders quite presciently on the risks of standing armies. Be well.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DeVIAS

I say "Ov the man you claim to be, I will become higher than any Ov"

link   
reply to post by MrChaos999

I've read a number of stories in the past couple years where the military has been complaining that they can't deploy troops because of payday lenders. The underlying reason being heavy debt and impossible finances creating a security clearance vulnerability. Wouldn't your situation create problems for you joining the military or have they pretty well put aside concerns like that at this point?

link   

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
don't do it !

if you don't want to hurt or kill people or if you don't want to die.

Don't be the weapon. Be the cure. Be a doctor.

Oh... hell... who cares anyway... just follow your heart.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I would recommend against it. There definitely are a host of benefits, but the forecast at present is ongoing engagement and the judgement of those in control - and the likely outcome - is in question.

Some go in with promises of domestic desk work, and end up in the various theaters. The alignment and outcome at present is morally ambiguous at best. You are in effect selling your soul to a liability of service or imprisonment if you decide you have qualms with orders that might be given.

Tread carefully, here. If we were a more upstanding nation in current reality with a more sane foreign policy, it might not be a bad idea. As is...you might get more than you bargain for.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
*** ATTENTION ***

GET ON TOPIC, we're not discussing grammar.

NO name calling.

link   

Unless things have changed, you cannot join law enforcement in the Navy(Master at Arms) until you make E-5. Firefighting(Damage Control tech unless they have changed) or EMT(hospital corpsman) you can start immediately. Do you have any college? If so, try to get E-4 immediately. Life as a petty officer beats the hell out of life as a non-rate.

link   

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrChaos999
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Thanks for the sensible reply, poster. I do want to get into the Office/admin. fields because that's about the most ov my work history, most ov my life consists ov being behind desks and secretarial work and I did notice that the Navy does have office support positions, but if those jobs are fully occupied for more than a 6 month wait, I'll probably go law enforcement or firefighter, basically whichever one sends me out first. and yes I do agree, I will be using for my advantage, to push my life further up then what it is, despite people's judging attitudes and negative views. They need to be in my shoes first before making their paranoid allegations on me. What do you think about the timing though?

If you want admin work you can go into personnel. They have it made. But like I said get an airman rating, you will have a lot more work to keep you busy keeping up with files on 6,000 people.

No matter what rating you get you can always come out and be a firefighter. You get fairly extensive training in fighting fires both in boot camp and the fleet.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The Navy is a pretty good bet if you compare all services. Assuming you don't fancy yourself a macho SEAL or something, it's a lot safer than being a boot on the ground. The Navy has tons of schools--should you pass the aptitude tests. The key is to choose and qualify for the right school because if you screw that part up, your experience will go south fast. For example, in my case I chose Machinist Mate--bad mistake. You stay below decks the entire time. My daughter chose interpreter. She never even got on a ship and stayed land-bound her entire enlistment--never left CONUS. On the other hand my brother became a corpsman and wound up embedded with the Marines. I would argue that's a lot more dangerous.

Go ahead an take the ASVAB because your score there will tell you what you qualify for. There's no obligation so go ahead and take it. That might be an eye opener for you. It will definitely narrow your focus. If you're having problems with "ov" vs "of" that will definitely point it out. AFTER you get the results that might be the time for a go/no go decision. PM me if you want. It might be easier than taking the flak here.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

I agree with you strongly, you are one ov the reasons I created an account. To get this kind ov feedback and help me question the bigger questions. Thanks

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

To be honest..

I would only take the opinions of people here who have served. Good or bad, it's better to talk to people who have been in the military.

Half of ATS seems to be composed of hippies.
The other half thinks the military is destined to enslave them.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

Unless things have changed, you cannot join law enforcement in the Navy(Master at Arms) until you make E-5. Firefighting(Damage Control tech unless they have changed) or EMT(hospital corpsman) you can start immediately. Do you have any college? If so, try to get E-4 immediately. Life as a petty officer beats the hell out of life as a non-rate.

You can go into damage control right out of boot camp now.

As far as Master at Arms you have to be an E-4.

A-schools are fairly extensive now and you can go into just about any job as an E-1 or E-2.

Life as a petty officer is better but you don't get a lot of respect from airmen when you enter the fleet as an E-4.
edit on 25-7-2011 by megabytz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Hey poster, I would like to talk to you about this more...I'm and brand new to this so how does PM-ing on here work
lol sorry

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

*Hands tissue. Just make sure whatever branch you decide to enlist in, which I advise you should, don't tell your recruiter that you're only in it because you hit rock bottom. They want dedicated people. Believe it or not, tons of people with college degrees are enlisting these days. There really isn't that big of a need for people in Navy or Airforce, even the Army has got non stop people signing on. So if you need any sort of waiver for anything, it's highly probable that a Navy or Airforce recruiter aren't going to want to go through the hassle.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by megabytz

Yeah, when I got out they were still splitting off HT's to become DC men so I was not sure how that worked. When I worked private sector, there were no navy guys(well a couple EOD) mostly army and other private sector types. They let MAA's start at E4 now? That is a pretty big change.

Life as a petty officer is better but you don't get a lot of respect from airmen when you enter the fleet as an E-4.
Maybe not, but you do get sea pay and a lot more freedom then E1-E3 usually gets.

edit on 25-7-2011 by sonofliberty1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Another member asked a similiar question, so I would tell you the same.

After serving 30+ years and recently retired, I would not recommend the Army at this time. It is going through way too many changes right now and everyone I know that is still in, are hating it. (One of the reasons I retired)

I would however recommend that you look into the Air Force or Coast Guard. Both have para-rescue units, considered to be the elite of their branches. You will more than likely be fired upon in these units, but you will save more lives as well. You get all the adreniline rush that goes with doing what they do as well.

And when you get out, there are well paying jobs for those with that training. (LifeFlight)

edit on 25-7-2011 by TDawgRex because: Just to tired to play today.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

I agree with you strongly as well, I really am only looking for military experienced feedback, I do know all the paranoid freaks will come out ov the woodworks with this topic, but so will the one's whose feedback matters to me and so far its been about a good ratio ov replies...and to all the posters "Ov" is how I do it, look up some history.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join