It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drowning in Emotion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
If emotions were a pool of water most of us would be drowning at sea, gulping down mouthfuls and spitting them back out at the world as we desperately tread, keeping our heads just above the surface. Because of our imminent drowning we allow emotion to control most of the actions we take every day. "How will this make me feel?" and so generate desire. We do our best to swim the currents we believe are leading to happiness but we spend most of our energy lost in currents of anger, lust, envy, shame, fear and disgust.

This isn't to say I support the concept of relinquishing all emotion, becoming emotionless. That's just another ego game in itself and I don't see it serving any purpose in this existence. Rather I would attempt mastering the currents by flowing with them. If I can cease fighting, stop expending needless energy, attempting to control the flow, I will float, allowing the currents to pass me along, observing the flow but not panicking and thrashing about trying to swim away from what I believe will make me uncomfortable. Of course it is common in nearly all species of life to avoid whatever brings discomfort, but when it comes to emotion the level of discomfort or comfort we experience is a choice.

To most of us that makes sense in terms of negative emotions. We understand that if we allow them to be experienced they will pass, but what about so-called positive emotions? Can we as easily allow them to pass and flow beyond us? To be detached from them? Because this is where most of us begin thrashing about in trying to stay in currents of positivity. And then we feel like we're drowning all over again. When we allow feelings to flow we find that every current leads to bliss.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Hmmm, I liken it to choice to some degree, we can choose the positive ones to harbor and feed on, but the negative ones we can recognize, neutralize, then let go. Emotions over all, imo, should be allowed/cultivated in moderation, and control over emotions begins with recognizing them as they arise, then reacting accordingly.
I have let politics drive me mad in the past, until I realized my angst only fed the beast and lowered my health. do I ignore anger anymore? No, I just don't let it fester and dominate my psyche.

Peace,
spec

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TravelerintheDark

To remain in the "flow of things" as experiences arise, in the boundless and endless stream of reality at all times, without grasping on to anything, is definitely key. When choice is present then so is division, thus conflict, thus suffering. If I choose to be happy at any given moment, even if there is the experience of something painful, I am thus grasping on to a past memory of what happiness is, and so then I will become deluded to the reality of what I am experiencing in the present moment. But if I remain completely aware of what I am experiencing in that very moment and make no judgment upon whether it is good or bad, no attempt at grasping for what I wish were happening, then it is nothing but another experience, another moment. Then what is there to be said about such an experience besides "what's next"? Nothing. It is neither good or bad, for, it no longer exists except for as a past memory that I am not going to grasp on to and carry into the present moment. Thus I remain calm and steady as a witness, a watcher, to the constant movement of thought, unattached to all that is happening.

Peace.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
So you're saying I should stop trying to pursue positivity, and just let what will be be?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
You are wise and a teacher....I can see! Namaste!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

I would like to address this...if I may.

Do not focus on one polarity over the other....that is not our nature or the nature of the universe. There is light and dark, good and evil in all things. Like the Yin and Yang...there are not two parts, but three...you must ride the center line...to know the dark is to understand the light.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Very thoughtful thread with some good responses.
I especially like the idea of to understand light you must know the dark. It makes sense spiritually and logically.
I battle with this constantly. Do you "go with the flow" and float as the OP suggested, or do you try to swim against the current in order to reach calmer waters?

Personally I have not yet reached a level where I can analyse or contemplate rapidly enough - I tend to react as I feel in a situation whether positive or negative. Hindsight is great but we don’t make decisions or emotions after the fact, we live them in the moment.

I am finding the philosophy and practice of Kendo is really helping me 'advance' in these areas. I am trying to be better but it’s not easy to re-train yourself as it were, I am constantly going back to the reactions/judgements that have served me fairly well over the last 30 years.

Thanks for the thread.

Peace

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by blazenresearcher

I would like to address this...if I may.

Do not focus on one polarity over the other....that is not our nature or the nature of the universe. There is light and dark, good and evil in all things. Like the Yin and Yang...there are not two parts, but three...you must ride the center line...to know the dark is to understand the light.

So just live in the moment?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Yes, if you believe the Universal Order is Love. That being the case then all currents lead ultimately to Love and there is nothing to fear. Including myself, most don't see it that way at all times even though it never changes. We focus on what we see as wrong in the world and interpret the Universal Order to be that and so struggle against the current trying to find what is already within our reach if we simply allow it to be.

But this does not mean not feeling or ignoring the world's imbalances. In fact I can't help but feel sorrow for the pain in the world, the suffering. Just as I don't keep myself from experiencing its joys. But I have to remind myself daily that these currents are in an ocean of Love, the Infinite Pool and that is where we truly reside. With that I can be at peace, if only for a short time.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
It is a quesion of ones state of mind - when I fall to denser levels, I discover that my lower selves are in a state of agony in some respects, and a state of happiness in others - when I reach levels that are more of equity, then the waveforms start to even out and congregate into a steady flow of mental frequencies.

However, sometimes I also feel anxiety in mental planes, and relief in denser planes - when you can see, it is all frequencies and sensitivities to different frequencies.

I imagine, that emotions are the product of frequencies that are either approaching an equilibrium (positive emotions) or emotions that serve to destabilise our current equilibriums (negative emotions).

The definition of "positive" and "negative" is simply what brings a sense of calm or discomfort depending upon the specific circumstances - for that reason, there can be situations, where an individual can be performing a positive and benevolant action in one realm, that translates to a negative and harmful action in another, and further still, individuals at higher levels can be in a state of battle at lower levels, and a state of friendship at higher levels, depending upon thier individual perspectives.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

Well said friend

Wu Wei to you...

Peace,
spec

new topics

top topics

join