It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom convicted in son’s jaywalking death will (?) serve more time than her son's Killer!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Thank you very much. I'm re-posting the petition url to make sure it doesn't get lost in the thread.

SIGN THE PETITION

Petition to free the innocent!

peace

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The mom shouldn't have been where she was. If she obeyed the laws the who knows, her kid might be alive.

When I cross the street with my child I make sure its at corner of the street with a street light on each side and wait until that little green walking man comes on, I then look both ways to make sure some idiot doesn't plow into us.

Thats what a responsible parent would do anyways.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I signed the petition and will get others to sign as well.

Some people are just heartless and ignorant (not a good combination). I live in NYC and "jaywalking" is a way of life out here. Jaywalking is as much of a crime as smoking a cigarette in the park (which actually IS a crime out here). To justify giving someone three years in PRISON for jay walking is absurd. Do you actually believe that this woman was endangering her child by not crossing in a crosswalk?

Do you know the neighborhood? Do you know the layout of the street? Do you know the traffic pattern there?

This is this guys THIRD hit and run. Not third accident or third time driving drunk, HIS THIRD HIT AND RUN
Why was he even allowed to drive in the first place!!

Can anybody in this thread actually declare (truthfully) that they have never crossed a street unless they were in a crosswalk?

CAsey Anthony is found not guilty and this woman can get three years.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mnshooter

Originally posted by mnshooter
reply to post by KnightFire

You're are completely wrong about drunk drivers not getting the punishment they deserve. There is only one group that lobbies for or against drunk drivers and that is MADD.

I'm sorry friend, but you are wrong. It is your right to refuse the sobriety test via the machine, you do not have the right to refuse a physical sobriety test. Also, if an officer can smell alcohol and you have the visible signs of being intoxicated, it is their duty to remove the suspected person from endangering others. What you don't know is, if you are taken into custody by an officer, you will take the test at the jail before being processed, and if you are not legally drunk, you are returned either to your vehicle or taken home because at that point there is no grounds to retain you further.

More times than not, a person refusing to take the sobriety test are intoxicated.

MADD is just one of many organizations fighting against drunk driving. You don't see the others, because MADD is the most vocal and have the financial backing to advertise.

Here is a list of other organizations and a link to their website.

IDDPA - IDDPA Website
SADD - SADD Website
The Century Council - The Century Council Website
AADD - AADD Website

Here is another useful website with a ton of good information "DUI Foundation" DUI Foundation Website. It also tells you about all the other organizations promoting drunk driving.

There is no one arguing for intoxicated drivers rights.

Here again, you are wrong. There are multiple attorney firms fighting for drunk drivers.

But, what you are correct about is, there are no big organizations fighting for the right to drive drunk. Kind of sounds stupid doesn't it? An organization that fights for people to drive drunk and endanger lives. WOW. Might be a money maker. Take donations from drunks and fight for them in legislation. "Speaker of the house, I would like to pose a bill that allows all intoxicated persons to legally drive drunk and endanger the lives of others. Can we vote on this?"

Almost forgot this website. DUI laws and Penalties. The following statement can be found for each state so don't tell me I'm wrong about their punishments:

Alcohol learning and prevention program, treatment for alcohol abuse, and assessment of a person for possible alcohol or drug craving can be required for DUI offenders in Ohio. These steps are often suggested instead of serving a sentence of incarceration or paying fines.

edit on 25-7-2011 by KnightFire because: Added content

edit on 25-7-2011 by KnightFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

You might be a responsible parent but you're sadly lacking in compassion.

You have NO IDEA the life this woman leads.

For you to infer her child's death is her fault when the KILLER is a repeat DUI offender?

Enough said. And, if I say more I'll be in contempt of ATS T&C.

peace

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by silo13

Honestly can't believe this, I mean I could see charging her for reckless endangerment or a more minor crime and then letting her go without any jail time at all but several years seems a bit steep. No offense but she does hold a fraction of the responsibility here (though not near as much as the driver), jay walking is a stupid idea considering how some SOBER people drive.

In one of the articles I was reading it shows that the nearest legal crosswalk is almost a mile away, the bus stop is right across the street from her apartment. The article also talked about many other people crossing at the same time as she did.

Why doesn't the town/city make more crosswalks? My understanding was that it would take quite a lot of time to ride the bus to the crosswalk, and then walk home with her children. She could have transferred to another bus until it finally came to her apartment, again, on the other side of the street.

No way IMO should this woman be convicted. The drunk driver? Yes! The city for not having decent crosswalks? Yes! A parent trying to get her children home before dark? Nope!

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Petition gladly signed. (Excellent, the signature count is really clicking at a furious pace right now.)

This is yet another case of how the hell did our priorities get so whacked?

An interesting tidbit on the page of the petition, if it is true:

Raquel Nelson of metro Atlanta faces up to 3 years in jail after her child broke from her side and ran in front of a driver who may have been impaired.

Three years in jail? The kid broke away from the mother's side. Oh sure! She is definitely one to blame.

Truly a miscarriage of justice. Here's to hoping the petition accomplishes its goal.

ETA: The petition has just hit 100K signatures. Five minutes ago it was at 95K. Five thousand signatures in five minutes! Go America! You know this is a travesty. Now let the authorities realize it as well.
edit on 25-7-2011 by Hessling because: ETA

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becoming
The mom shouldn't have been where she was. If she obeyed the laws the who knows, her kid might be alive.

When I cross the street with my child I make sure its at corner of the street with a street light on each side and wait until that little green walking man comes on, I then look both ways to make sure some idiot doesn't plow into us.

Thats what a responsible parent would do anyways.

Hind sight is 20/20. The woman made a mistake. If she was in a transit bus stop area, the normal speed limit is 25-35 mph. Statistics say no alcohol, no problems. He was drunk. She will spend the rest of her life reliving the mistake she made. When do any of us do what's right over what's easy? That's how this country came to where it's at. Petition signed.
edit on 25-7-2011 by Hillbilly123069 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnshooter
If you refuse to take their test you are admitting to being guilty. If the people at MADD have their way you will be locked up for a year and never be able to drive again for washing your mouth out with mouthwash.

You say this like it's a bad thing. I think the fact people get even one warning is ridiculous. If you are too dumb to call a cab, you shouldn't be drinking to add to that stupidity. And this is coming from somebody who LOVES to drink. You should permanently lose the privilege to drive if you get caught drinking and driving.

Personally I know a guy who's been arrested FOUR times for DUI and he still has a license. Far too lenient.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
convicted of homicide?

So if the guy was sober, it would still be apalling?

There are designated crosswalks and Laws like 'Jaywalking' for a reason. So stuff like this can be avoided.

Edit: Ok, the Kid broke away, and this whole thing was an accident. But the Judge and Jury felt differently.

edit on 25-7-2011 by emaildogs because: failure to read every page

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Wow, this is just appalling. This goes to show you how unfair and corrupt our judicial system is...when a drunkard driving a vehicle, delirious with intoxiation can hit a child and kill him, and the mother ends up doing the prison time...how dumb can people be. These are the kinds of people who think 2+2=5. Maybe the jury needs to go to school for the mentally handicapped. Even if she was jaywalking motorists are REQUIRED BY LAW to YIELD to pedestrians.

I guess this happened in the kind of state where the drivers test is nothing more than circling the courthouse and stopping at 4 stop signs around the block....Just when i think i cant find anyone more moronic than the lst dumb person i've heard about, something like this happens.

Marietta Ga...? Figures...somethin' in the water along with leftovers from the 60's...ya know?
Insanity...Then again...a lot of towns pad their pockets with J-walkers...big cities too.

Remember...the second link had a statement in it that the City Transit always puts their stops up to a mile apart.
My 2cents? The transportation dept. is in cahoots with the Police at making a little extra pocket money.
Lady also stated that she and her kids were not the only ones crossing in the middle of the road...other passengers were too.

Down south, for what ever reason (heat, humidity, or both) Lady Justice just seems more blind.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reaper2137
Don't blame the drunk driver if the stupid mom hadn't been herding her kids across the streets than he wouldn't have hit him. Geeze Its all the sober peoples fault these days don't you know that?

I mean really drunk driving is now lower than any thing else replaced but just as bad if not worse distracted driving. seems like your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Still this is just retarded but she did break the law if she had not and crossed the street at the cross walk at the light than chances are her kid would still be alive.

unless of course the guy went out of his way to hit than kid than it really doesn't matter one way or the other.

I think they should get the same amount of time the both of them. with out ones screw up than the other couldn't have happened..

The first major cause of death in the U.S. is by drunk driving. Point blank, if you've been drinking and then get behind the wheel, you should be taken into the woods and shot in the head because youre so irresponsible that you would endanger not just your life but the lives of everyone around you with your reckless behavior. The fact that he has done wthis on 2 prior occasions further adds to my case. These people will continue their destructive behavior until we start eliminating them.

You should be put to death if youre a rapist, murderer, psychopath, sociopath, or repeated offender. These people prey on the mercys of society. Then by refusing to eliminate these deviants, they go on to wreak more havoc on innocent bystanders, or survive to proliferate and pass on their deviant genecodes. The Ancients long ago discovered the remedy of eliminating threats to society by targetting social deviants and criminals and exacting the highest penalties. In our advanced society we think we know better than our forebears. All our technology has done has weakened our species into a false sense of security and ignorance. The ends justify the means, i promise you if you go into prison and start executing these people, crime will diminish to almost nothing, because its the repeat offenders that keep driving up the crime rate, and you will make a statement that will tell these deviants, that if you do these crimes you will pay with your life. Criminals will never take you seriously until you take off the kid gloves and show some tough love. Once you go down that road, there is no returning. Once you begin a life of crime it will never end until you're in your grave, it has been proven time and time again.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Originally posted by Reaper2137
Don't blame the drunk driver if the stupid mom hadn't been herding her kids across the streets than he wouldn't have hit him. Geeze Its all the sober peoples fault these days don't you know that?

I mean really drunk driving is now lower than any thing else replaced but just as bad if not worse distracted driving. seems like your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Still this is just retarded but she did break the law if she had not and crossed the street at the cross walk at the light than chances are her kid would still be alive.

unless of course the guy went out of his way to hit than kid than it really doesn't matter one way or the other.

I think they should get the same amount of time the both of them. with out ones screw up than the other couldn't have happened..

The first major cause of death in the U.S. is by drunk driving. Point blank, if you've been drinking and then get behind the wheel, you should be taken into the woods and shot in the head because youre so irresponsible that you would endanger not just your life but the lives of everyone around you with your reckless behavior. The fact that he has done wthis on 2 prior occasions further adds to my case. These people will continue their destructive behavior until we start eliminating them.

You should be put to death if youre a rapist, murderer, psychopath, sociopath, or repeated offender. These people prey on the mercys of society. Then by refusing to eliminate these deviants, they go on to wreak more havoc on innocent bystanders, or survive to proliferate and pass on their deviant genecodes. The Ancients long ago discovered the remedy of eliminating threats to society by targetting social deviants and criminals and exacting the highest penalties. In our advanced society we think we know better than our forebears. All our technology has done has weakened our species into a false sense of security and ignorance. The ends justify the means, i promise you if you go into prison and start executing these people, crime will diminish to almost nothing, because its the repeat offenders that keep driving up the crime rate, and you will make a statement that will tell these deviants, that if you do these crimes you will pay with your life. Criminals will never take you seriously until you take off the kid gloves and show some tough love. Once you go down that road, there is no returning. Once you begin a life of crime it will never end until you're in your grave, it has been proven time and time again.

4 out of every 5 accidents (80%) are attributed to distracted drivers. In contrast, drunk drivers account for roughly 1 out of 3 (33%) of all accidents nationally.

www.edgarsnyder.com...

not the case any more my friend drunk driving is taking a back seat to Distracted Driving and its only getting worse.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I must beg to ask what kind of Jury would even support a charge against the mother....

Why is a jaywalking charge up to 3 years? That doesn't even make sense to begin with.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by silo13

I must beg to ask what kind of Jury would even support a charge against the mother....

Why is a jaywalking charge up to 3 years? That doesn't even make sense to begin with.

I saw this today and couldn't believe it. I read that her jury was questioned, during selection, as to if they commonly ride public transportation. Not one of the 12 selected did. So, what kind of jury? Not one of her peers.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Wow Casey Anthony and now this?

I guess if you ever want to kill children and get away with it, come to America!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Just a few observations.
1st Regarding the limited initial information, I was a wee bit skeptical on exactly what happened.

2nd The woman in question and her children crossed a 4 lane highway in the dark. This family was “black” and probably was wearing dark clothing. The operator of the car would be hard pressed seeing a 2 ½ foot dark obstacle on a freeway. Considering his speed at lets say 55 mph, by the time he would have observed the child he would not have enough time to apply the brakes and stop or avoid the child. The mother most definitely put her family in jeopardy by the decision she made.

NOW. More of the story.
The driver admitted to drinking and was guilty of hit and run. Since he left the scene of the accident it is impossible to tell his blood alcohol content (BAC). I watched the interview of the woman; she was well spoken and demonstrated incredible restraint to the point of forgiving the driver that killed her son. I was very impressed with her demeanor.

She is being prosecuted to the “Letter of the law” and not the “intent of the law”. The prosecutor is way out of line. This woman is guilty; however the prosecutor is way out of line and is an embarrassment not only to the court and the people he serves but to humanity as a whole. My thoughts and prayers go to the woman who lost her son. I will also be signing the petition..
As a matter of fact I am just flat out pissed at the system.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
well dont j-walk with your young child if you value their life.
she was probably one of those people who j-walks and literally walks making all the cars stop and wait for their fattness.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Seems like the "Blame Game" is hot and heavy on this thread.

How about backing up one moment?

I mean no disrespect to anyone but let's cover the basic facts for a moment (and please correct me if I missed something)...

1 - A woman crosses the street and apparently has her child break away from their side and the little one gets hit by a car and killed. Granted, they appear to have crossed the street illegally but let's move on.

2 - The child is hit and killed by someone who had been drinking. This driver then left the scene of a fatal accident. Said driver was a repeat offender when it came to DUIs yet still was allowed to drive.

3 - The mother of the deceased child potentially stands to serve a longer sentence than the impaired driver that drove off after most likely hearing a loud thump and probably a scream.

I can understand where some might want to shed a bit of blame upon the mother. Personally, I don't because I pulled the exact same stunt when I was about six years old and sure enough I got hit by a car and if it hadn't been for a split-second of time difference would have been killed.

Seriously though, do you really think the mother has done something worse than the driver?

Just asking.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Casey Anthony admitted she knew her child was dead, she hid the body in the woods and went clubbing. She admitted that.

Lied to the COUNTRY for more than a month. She was found not guilty.

Do you really stand by sending THIS woman 2 jail

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join