It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 Round mags not enough? cant make up your mind 5.56 or 7.62 ? then you need a MGI Hydra!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b9f2bf670028.jpg[/atsimg]

With a MSRP of 4,998.00 you wont see me with one any time soon... but this might just be the holy grail of ARs and possibly modern rifles! No more having to decide if you go AK or AR, .223/5.56MM NATO or 7.62MM/.308 or even 6.8 SPC and .50 Beowulf. It also supports .22LR and .22WMR for those who wish to train on the cheap with the same manual of arms and trigger setup, as I do. They supposedly have a 9mm variant in the works as well.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a2c624051e79.jpg[/atsimg]

their website MGI Military can be found here

below is the announcement vid of their Belt-Feed option

youtu.be...

Now if only someone from MGI would like to send me a free one... for... extensive testing... I'd be sure to writ up a good review

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

The ultimate survival weapon to have if SHTF. As long as you owned all the proper conversions you would never have to worry about what type of ammo was in the area. This is like having a small arsenal in your hands.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

Yeah but....
wonder what all the various add-ons and extra features would total up too...
I'm mean if you bought everything they offer...

what do think???
$20,000...more... to rich for me

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

That is one "BEAUTIFUL" piece of hardware. I built my 5.56 M4A1 a few years back.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
For the indecisive consumer, or for those like me who need one of everything

I know the ACR/Masada was similar with a magazine well and barrel changing system, I don't remember how they compared on price though, I also don't think it had so many options. Would love one with the .50 Beowulf though, that'd make for some fun.

I'm forced to wonder too about the shtf applications for this and similar weapon systems, one weapon that can be chambered for lots of calibers would proved useful if said ammo ever became a scarce commodity.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

That sure is a fancy contraption. Before you know it the ar will be adapted for butterfly triggers and shooting the .50 alongside ol Ma Deuce. Seems just about anything can be done on the ar platform now. Wanna look at a hot little shtf platform check out the kel tec sub 2000....takes 33rd glock factory mags and when loaded with 9mm +p rounds is a lil bundle of whoopass. And you can fold it in half to fit in a briefcase. Oh yeah!!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
ME likey. me wanty.

Oh to be back in an environment that gives you the ability to play with such fun toys.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
not good enough

i want a gun that i can load up with any ammo...

i mean from a bb pellet to a 50.cal round

i mean everything inbetween

i don't want any additional addons either

i want a gun with a empty case that i can empty any type of bullet i please and it will arrange them accordingly on the fly

hell i want to be able to mix and match bullets while im shooting

also a gernade launcher with laser site would be nice included with it

untill you have this gun ... all other guns are obselete primitive weapons

good day

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
This will be a great weapon to take from some over funded and geared wannabe. He will be pumping rounds at me with reckless abandon while I one shot him from my concealed position with a 20 year old M14 and 16x scope. Then his toy will be mine!

This might be good for a group to have as a suppression weapon if they know the point of suppression fire. However, I think one could do the same thing with a coordinated pair of individuals using any assault rifle in semi-auto.

Nice piece for a collector with 5K they don't need for anything else - my opinion only.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by mileysubet

Yeah but....
wonder what all the various add-ons and extra features would total up too...
I'm mean if you bought everything they offer...

what do think???
$20,000...more... to rich for me

You are most likely right about the price, I could not afford it either.

Now that I think about it a little more humping all that gear around would be a PITA as well.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
That's all fine and dandy but that belt fed mag well is going to add some serious weight to that AR platform.

In modern warfare a fighter must be able to fight in the field and yet still be able to navigate tight spaces such as office buildings etc... Then a weapon must be easily controlled to take a target as quickly as possible...

This Chopped down M-60 wannabe (IMO) might make a good suppressive weapon but when it comes down to all around tactical weapons I believe the MGI Hydra is left wanting...

Personally if I was in a fight I would prefer something like the Shootrite Katana (also said to be the ninja sword of the modern warrior)

The great thing about the Katana is it is uber light weight and simple yet elegant.. In fact I would say its elegance is in its simplicity.. Sure it doesn't hold as many rounds but it is a much better all around weapon..

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
sorry but if 30 round mags arent enough

and drum magzines arent enough

its time to upgrade to the minigun from which there is no reprieve.

it owns all just hope you can afford to keep it stocked up in ammo.

edit on 25-7-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
If you can still get weapons like this over the counter in the US then you are very lucky. Don't let anybody stuff around with your gun laws.

The best we can do in Australia is a 10 shot bolt action. The new Ruger Gunsight Scout .308 is selling here like hotcakes. So much so that there is a 4 - 5 month waiting list.
edit on 25-7-2011 by triune because: No reason

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Oh, forgot to add in my post above and now it’s too late. I realize that you can't outright buy an M249 very easy but It probably requires the same stamps and licenses as it does to get this knockoff AR platform.

The M249 comes in a PARA version and the SPW version which can support sights, front grips and other sexy add ons like lasers/flashlights etc.

God only knows how much one might cost you...M249 Para

You can even get a 200 round cloth bag for the ammo.

We had one in our team armory down range. Our Assistant Weapons Sergeant used it a lot for CQB work. It has a 16 inch barrel and can lay down some serious lead as all M249's can. I can't really remember if it was technically a PARA or SPW mode - not that it matters.

edit on 25/7/2011 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Just my initial thought here, but generall ALL purpose technology ends up not doing ANYTHING very well....
The weapons system as a whole would probably be impractical to carry around all the time for every purpose, and even if its all good....the changeover from one to some other cal will have to be fast and slick or you have potential problems.
There better be no small parts to fiddle f&&k around with and loose.
That being said, suppressive fire is an expensive way to keep em ducking while you counter move.and i hope this little honey dont get too hot to function after a belt....full auto...leaving you high and dry come show time.
I like my weapons simple as possible.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
WOW!!!! I think I am in love!!! that is an amazing weapon tho i as the OP will not be able to afford it, a guy can dream cant he?? hah thanks for shareing

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I have the strangest erection right now. No seriously, I'm building a bridge out of toothpicks
. I want one. I could afford the 5k but the add ons add up I assume. I had a little Kel Tec S2000 that would take mags from most any pistol chambered in the correct round and I loved the thing. Good little SHTF carbine. This would make my day though.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I want my old 7.62/.308 SLR back. How I loved that rifle.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

The cost of automatic guns is high because of stupid law. The full auto M16A2 had price $160, but that was for military.

edit on 26-7-2011 by piotrburz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I think I would just rather own both a dedicated 223 or 308 in the AR platform and then toss the extra money towards ammo.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join