It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is peak oil is a fabricated myth?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Take a read of these 2 links on the theory of abiotic oil...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.viewzone.com...

"Proponents of so-called "abiotic oil" claim that the proof is found in the fact that many capped wells, which were formerly dry of oil, are found to be plentiful again after many years, They claim that the replenished oil is manufactured by natural forces in the Earth's mantle. "

So, basically we could manage wells like farming, and how we handle fields and grass by moving the animals to different areas to allow the ground to regrow/recover..

The more I read into abiotic oil... the more peak oil seems to be a lie.

I am all for new clean energy but let's try to understand the true nature of oil.

edit on 25-7-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Doesn't matter how oil is made, is still comes from a finite resource one way or another like EVERY other thing on this planet. Overuse and there will be no more... eventually.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by fenceSitter
Doesn't matter how oil is made, is still comes from a finite resource one way or another like EVERY other thing on this planet. Overuse and there will be no more... eventually.

Did you read the part where the capped dry wells replenished?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by zookey

What is the rate of consumption VS the rate of replenishment + current oil supplies? Also factor in the fact that consumption will continue to increase rather quickly. Chances are this equation will end up looking like peak oil theory.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by zookey

I don't know. Peak oil could be a myth or maybe the myth could be abiotic oil.

So is abiotic oil still a reason to not research into other ways of producing fuel and plastics (such as hemp) and ween us off this dirty oil addiction?
Also if we are not oil peaking then why is every major conflict involve a oil rich nation? Seems almost like a land grab.
If these oil rich nations have plenty oil then why are they moving operations out to sea with the more expensive oil rig setup? Is this only in order to let there land wells fill back up? I guess it could be.

As crazy as it may sound I kind of wish oil would dry up. Then the Earth wouldn't be over run by the filthy rich who own everything due to oil. We, if united, would survive.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Its as well reasoned as peak whale, peak salt, peak wood or peak copper.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by zookey

Yep - read that. That doesn't mean it will continue to replenish. Could be that excess oil seeped through over time. It in no way proves the theory of abiotic oil.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I think it does matter how it is made, purely for the understanding rather than the crap the news puts out fearmongering.

Yes there is many ways to make oil, but I do like to try to understand how something works and I don't get that from watching CNN/Fox etc.

I am not saying we shouldn't use other energy sources, I am simply saying, this is another theory on how oil is made. I guess there really is few open minded people on these forums, but that is not MY problem
That is theirs.

Ironic that those that believe dinosours made their oil, are infact the dinosours today themselves

Well, back to CNN/Fox, that's where real science is taught. There is only one theory allowed. That is the american way

Bash those that think differently.
edit on 25-7-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

You didnt actually believe that part did you -- if oil was magically created that quickly the earth would be 75% oil and we would be worried about water spills.

All my inlaws are oil people geologists and mapping -- the have explored all over the world. We are past peak oil.
edit on 25-7-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by zookey

I didn't quite mean it in that context. I do agree, people tend to act before they have a full understanding on how things work and knowing the consequences of their actions. It is very important how it is made simply because we all do need an accurate understanding of the planet to figure out how our actions are impacting it.

My thought process on 'debunking' peak oil is similar to the climate change naysayers. Anyone who doesn't believe we are having such a negative impact on the planet simply won't do anything because in their eyes there is nothing to fix. Same here - no peak oil so just keep burning it. That attitude is fine if their assumptions are true. Nothing will happen so we didn't waste our time!

My concern is what we'll do if the naysayers are wrong. I always hope for the best but plan for the worst. IMO convincing anyone that peak oil doesn't exist will just lead to more consequences down the road. Nothing against your opinion of course.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I have heard of those claims, although they are by no means corroborated by numerous independent groups. They are just claims.

And how fast do they 'replenish'?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
if oil wells were 'replenishing' at a reasonable rate, then why would oil companies be spending more and more money going after oil that is harder and harder to extract, like deepwater platforms, oil sands, fracking, etc?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Did you even read the first line from your first link?

Abiogenic petroleum origin is a largely abandoned hypothesis that was proposed as an alternative to theory of biological petroleum origin. It was relatively popular in the past, but it went largely forgotten at the end of the 20th century after it failed to predict the location of new wells.[1]

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I'm with the crowd that sees these military ventures in oil rich nations and extreme deep water drilling as a hint and a half. We (as a nation) are desperate for the remaining oil and we'll take it if we have to in an attempt to preserve our current way of life. Won't be sending too many rockets into space on hay bales will we now. I thinking train service may become popular again.

Oil replenishing itself? I'll file that one away with a Saudi Prince making a public announcement to order of "We have to keep these Americans addicted to cheap oil" and the drooling masses say to themselves "Oh thank God, we don't have to wake up yet. Back to sleep everybody".

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by zookey

Peak oil is not a myth, it's a mathematical fact. Infinite use of a finite resource inevitably means that said resource will run out.

That said, there's another peak oil that deserves more attention than it gets: peak oil demand.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
if oil wells were 'replenishing' at a reasonable rate, then why would oil companies be spending more and more money going after oil that is harder and harder to extract, like deepwater platforms, oil sands, fracking, etc?

1) They can't drill near the shore line because of eco-terrorist's(environmentalist's to average leftist **** faces).
2) Oil Sand is economical right now and Canada is a big country with a small population, thus fewer eco-terrorist's to muck things up.
3) Fracking is to get natural gas. A different energy source then petroleum.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Let us assume oil is abiotic in nature and generated by some process as yet unknown. So what could be the rate of generation of oil by this process? Given that many wells have dried up after drilling and extraction, it can't be anything significant even if some of them have been found to have "replenished" after being left untouched for a few years. So with a rate of replenishment near zero (for abiotic origins) if not zero (for organic origins), it makes no difference for peak oil calculations.

Peak Oil for wells and fields is observed fact. No disputes about it. Have we reached a global peak oil? Many think so.

Speculating about the origins of oil is interesting in itself, but doesn't alter the peak oil story, which is certainly not a "myth".

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

if oil wells were 'replenishing' at a reasonable rate, then why would oil companies be spending more and more money going after oil that is harder and harder to extract

The wouldn't.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

They can't drill near the shore line because of eco-terrorist's(environmentalist's

RIght, the oil companies have millions of acres of leases on public land that they won't drill because they want to keep the prices high.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join