It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme Heat:Preparedness and Response, from the CDC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
What happens to the body as a result of exposure to extreme heat? So far this year we have 12 heat related deaths in the US so lets not add to those numbers, shall we...

People suffer heat-related illness when the body’s temperature control system is overloaded. The body normally cools itself by sweating. But under some conditions, sweating just isn't enough. In such cases, a person’s body temperature rises rapidly. Very high body temperatures may damage the brain or other vital organs. Several factors affect the body’s ability to cool itself during extremely hot weather. When the humidity is high, sweat will not evaporate as quickly, preventing the body from releasing heat quickly. Other conditions that can limit the ability to regulate temperature include old age, youth (age 0-4), obesity, fever, dehydration, heart disease, mental illness, poor circulation, sunburn, and prescription drug use and alcohol use.

The CDC has this practical advice on Heat Stroke

4.What are the warning signs of a heat stroke?

Warning signs of heat stroke vary but may include the following:
•An extremely high body temperature (above 103°F)
•Red, hot, and dry skin (no sweating)
•Rapid, strong pulse
•Throbbing headache
•Dizziness
•Nausea
•Confusion
•Unconsciousness
If you see any of these signs, you may be dealing with a life-threatening emergency. Have someone call for immediate medical assistance while you begin cooling the victim. Do the following:
•Get the victim to a shady area.
•Cool the victim rapidly, using whatever methods you can. For example, immerse the victim in a tub of cool water; place the person in a cool shower; spray the victim with cool water from a garden hose; sponge the person with cool water; or if the humidity is low, wrap the victim in a cool, wet sheet and fan him or her vigorously.
•Monitor body temperature and continue cooling efforts until the body temperature drops to 101-102°F.
•If emergency medical personnel are delayed, call the hospital emergency room for further instructions.
•Do not give the victim alcohol to drink.
•Get medical assistance as soon as possible.

Heat exhaustion is a milder form of and the CDC has this to say on the subject

The warning signs of heat exhaustion include the following:
•Heavy sweating
•Paleness
•Muscle cramps
•Tiredness
•Weakness
•Dizziness
•Headache
•Nausea or vomiting
•Fainting

The skin may be cool and moist. The pulse rate will be fast and weak, and breathing will be fast and shallow. If heat exhaustion is untreated, it may progress to heat stroke. See medical attention if symptoms worsen or last longer than one hour.
What steps can be taken to cool the body during heat exhaustion?
•Drink cool, nonalcoholic beverages.
•Rest.
•Take a cool shower, bath, or sponge bath.
•Seek an air-conditioned environment.
•Wear lightweight clothing.

The CDC's Extream Heat Web Page
has a lot more useful information on things like heat cramps, heat rash, heat fainting...etc,etc etc... so I urge you to visit the link when you can
edit on 25-7-2011 by DaddyBare because: tweeking a tag

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Thanks for the post. It toook me only a few minutes to read that. So why is the MSM covering this heat wave so much? Lets leave weather to the weather channel and Al Roeker

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by markrob23

as to why it's become news worthy
you might want to check out a thread I started last week
www.abovetopsecret.com...
funny how MSN is always behind ATS when it comes down to the big news

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Good thread, tons of people out there have no clue on the early symptoms, and pass it off as being just overheated (but fine still they think). Staying hydrated is paramount. First step to take in prevention. Even if you are not thirsty, drink, drink, drink that water.........I've been over to the middle east more than a handful of times when I was in the service, and we would always see 5 or 6 noobs drop out do to this type of thing. BTW thanks Daddy Bare for the tip on the leatherworking thread./

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by markrob23

as to why it's become news worthy
you might want to check out a thread I started last week
www.abovetopsecret.com...
funny how MSN is always behind ATS when it comes down to the big news

I can see why it's newsworthy, it's a shame that I had to hear this from an ATS thread and not the MSM

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Let's not forget to make sure our wonderful pets are cool and have enough water, too! It's always best to bring them inside during extreme hot and cold weather.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f10c613e4dd1.jpg[/atsimg]

Yeah... this is important...
especially when you realize the temps will be going up this week... not down...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
A very timely post.

Good information.

top topics

join