Combat Hunter: Always the hunter, never the hunted!

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The US Marine Corps was the first to put a name to it “Combat Hunter” Originally the concept was to instill the skills of hunting and tracking for use against insurgents. Of course it also had the side benefit of allowing these skilled young men and women to supplement their ever so tasty MRE’s or in a worse case, feeding themselves and their respective units.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Originally this thread was to be about of small piece of the “Combat Hunter” equipment; their issued Binoc’s, 10x42 mm leupold Cascades, a very nice and handy pair of general purpose Binoc’s you can own for under $300 USD by the way. (Yes that is a shameless plug for leupold and if anyone who works for them is reading this… message me so I can give you my address and you can send me free samples)…

But in all fairness to leupold I could not make this thread about a single piece of equipment without first telling you about the “Combat Hunter Program”.

Now take a moment to think about that, a person skilled in modern military arts of warfare who is also a skilled hunter and tracker!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Combat Hunter started as a Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory (MCWL) project initiated at the request of the Commanding General, I Marine Expeditionary Force (I MEF). The project seeks to improve the observation and hunting skills of the individual Marines operating in combat environments to enhance their lethality and survivability, and it directly supports the maturing concept of Distributed Operations.The project's goal is to improve combat efficiency, while reducing combat casualties, through the application of skills used by hunters as they pursue their quarry.

Combat Hunter's methods are based on three criteria--identifying skills that will make Marines more efficient !hunters in all environments (especially urban), examining and employing the skills used by individuals who have lived in disadvantaged areas of large cities, and developing training programs from skills identified during experimentation.

MCWL conducted limited objective experiments (LOE) on how to teach Marines to be better observers of their surroundings based on those methods. Key takeaways from these experiments included:

-Focusing on how to distinguish what is here that should not be here; and what should be here that is not.

-Better assessing situations and being proactive, rather than reactive to an immediate threat.

-Using something as simple as binoculars dramatically improves situational awareness and threat assessment.

The goal of these experiments was to empower Marines to routinely venture, outside the wire, with increased confidence and offensive sprit. Analysis of the data produced by these experiments indicated that the experimental training program (Combat Hunter) produced better results than those produced by just a man tracking training program, and significantly better results than the normal Marine Corps Training program.

Participant feedback was also an important part of the assessment process.

LOE 1 participant(Cpl)

I'm more confident because I feel the hunting skills I learned here were more useful than most of what I've learned up to this point. I feel extremely confident in the skills I was taught here. I only need more on the skills I picked up here.

LOE 2 participant(Pvt)
This course opened my eyes to a ton of new possibilities, and what to look for, how to look for it, and why we look for it, how to control your heart rate, in a serious situation.

Feedback from experiment participants was rolled into the formal program of instruction developed by the Marine Corps Training and Education Command, who now have the lead for implementing the Combat Hunter program. These experiments epitomize the Marine Corps approach to small unit and individual excellence; however, that approach is much more than just a mind set. The Combat Hunter Marine is more capable and confident, in effectively observing, moving and acting to better accomplish the mission by:

-Operating as member of the patrol with the skills and mindset of a ,hunter, and point man or flanker.

-Confidently seeking the adversary with the intent to engage, before being engaged.

-Understanding how to better employ the equipment of an infantryman.

Combat Hunter falls under the larger umbrella of distributed operations (DO) as one of several ?DO enablers. The Marine Corps is conducting a number of supporting experiments on these DO enablers with the objective of further enhancing the ability of the Corps, tactical units to conduct irregular warfare operations.
Learn more about the Combat Hunter Program here
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Savvy Platoon Sgts and Cmdrs have noticed and exploited for a long time, inner city kids from violent neighborhoods have had to develop a 6th sense about; danger, where to walk where not to walk, whats in & out of place, shiesty & shady characters. Because of this they often see things out of place that most people don't see, so they're often asked on patrols, "hey Jones, what do you see that I'm missing."...

On the flipside Cmdrs have noticed when out on Field Ex's patrolling setting up ambushes whatever, their country boys & I mean the ones from a real rural up bringing...not trailer trash...but the real mountain boys who spent years huniting & trapping are invaluable in patrolling & using the terrain for ambushing....

edit on 25-7-2011 by DaddyBare because: fixing a formatting prob

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Your dead on. The swamps in the northwest, north east, and southwest brought in all the prime skills for the Vietnam war. People that already lived in those environs were fairly close to the terrain and what to expect from the weather. Ironic the worst places on earth have everything you need to live and the most hidden dangers that can take you out.

new topics

join