It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just saw somewhat large meteor/shooting star

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Here I am sitting in front of the computer at around 3:14 AM in Portland, OR.

Out the window I see a pretty large looking meteor/shooting star, whatever you care to call it. It was, by far, the largest I have ever seen. Holding my hand out at arm's length, the glow from it was bigger than my thumb, and I have a pretty big sized thumb.

It lasted for about 4-5 seconds, and had an extremely bright yellowish flame around it. It looked really close, as I could see little pieces coming off it and burning up. Just an amazing site.

Anyone else happen to catch it? I'm a little doubtful being nearly 3:30 in the morning, but figured I'd ask.

OK, I was just about to end this post, and I just saw a pretty large flash that covered the whole sky, almost like a lighting strike, but it's perfectly calm outside, and there was no thunder. WTF is going on?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
And several more LARGE flashes outside.... getting a little freaked out heh

Maybe it actually hit the ground and hit a power station or transformer or something? Reminds me of the flashes you saw in those videos on youtube of a bunch of power transformers blowing up.

EDIT:

A bunch more flashes, all coming from the exact same area, I heard one extremely deep "boom" kind of sound, but it was only once, not after each flash.

I'm getting really curious, I might go driving around to figure out what the heck this is all about, I'm exhausted though as its 3:30 in the morning. Very odd!
edit on 25-7-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Careful don't get too close .....Might have radiation or is something else.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Very interesting indeed, what do you mean boom? Like far off thunder? A gunshot? Someone slamming a truck door? How vexing...

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I didn't see anything (not looking out the windows), but I'm down here in Southern California and something is really messing with our electricity over here tonight. About 3 or 4 times tonight, I'd say within about the past hour or so, it's almost like the electricity is going to go out, but it hasn't yet.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by RenegadeScholar
Very interesting indeed, what do you mean boom? Like far off thunder? A gunshot? Someone slamming a truck door? How vexing...

Not a gunshot, at least not a gunshot from anything a person could carry.

I mean it's possible it was thunder, but it's extremely calm out, I saw at least 10-12 flashes, all in the same area, and only heard the noise once. It sounded much more muffled than thunder, no sharp crack or anything, just a really deep rumbling kind of sound. The flashes appear to be pretty close, so I wouldn't think it's just thunder.

Could be totally unrelated to each other I guess, I just found it pretty crazy that I saw a huge fireball, and then a few minutes later see a bunch of flashes coming from the direction the fireball went.

I guess I'll have to watch the news tomorrow, I'm sure something like a meteor hitting a power station would make the news.

I really hope something does make the news, otherwise people might think I'm just another ATS trickster. Although if you checked my posts, you should be able to tell I don't make sensationalists posts about crazy stuff.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
The object must be putting out alot of radiation or has damaged power lines.

We need someone ton investigate this quickly.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Man, I always miss the action. Jealous now. How come you didn't take pictures or get that camera rolling after that the first shower?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

thats awsome!!! maybe it was an alien that crashed! haha just kidding. maybe u should check it out? i would. although i would be a little afraid of radiation or something but u never know. thanks for posting that though. its very interesting.

update us about if u hear anything. cant wait to hear what it was.
edit on 25-7-2011 by drok6661 because: just wanted to update my post

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
go for a look, and take a camera!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Quick!!! Meteors bring in big $$$$$$ !!!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
you got my attention, but i am almost certain, it will be nothing more then thunder and your wild imagination :p

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Just odd you should mention about the flashes of light with no thunder. I took the dogs out last night at around 10pm EST and saw unusually active 'heat lightning' (we used to call it-- though this looked different somehow, unnatural.)

The 'light show' was in the direction of NW-- as are you, from my perspective. Clearly across the continent, of course, since I am on the East Coast. But the flashes of light I saw in the sky were notable enough to respond to your same description.

Have a great day!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Well, I am pretty certain that it was just a huge coincidence.

I checked out the news online, apparently we did have lightning here really early this morning, which would have been when all this went down.

It was just extremely freaky as I see this huge fireball, which I still can't find mentioned anywhere online, and then I see a ton of flashes in the direction the fireball went, with no thunder. And we haven't had lightning here in a long time, it seems.

Oh well, although my initial reason for starting this thread wasn't even about the flashes, just the fireball, so I guess I still got to share that!

Still hoping someone else saw it though, it was quite amazing looking.

top topics

join