It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking to buy a new computer on ebay...Help please.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
But there is so many. I really only a need a desktop computer that can handle my graphic programs. I don't want a single but I was thinking of going to quad that has a windows 7 on it installed, but then you have intel, athlon, phenom. and all these cpus and motherboards confusing me.

I tried to get help from my brother but he was traitor and went to a mac and he's really not helping me. So, if any computer gurus with the technical machine robust knowledge is out there, may you please help me pick out a decent computer within a 300 range that can hold the graphics that I do with daz3d, poser, photoimpact, and all the goodies I can come up with to add to my programs. [Renders]. I know how to put the computer together. I don't know the technicals about the parts of the computer and what system is better. I know I7 is robust and Phenom is robust but is that too much for my needs?

Pretty please.

Just want something simple to run fast so I can do my graphics. Can't play with my graphics until I get the new computer.

Thank you.
edit on 25-7-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Im a bit lost at the part where you know how to operate graphics rendering applications and even put the computer parts together yourself but you have no idea what the specs of a computer mean.

But I will help

300 bucks...wow....that's a bit of a challenge

The last time I did this, I found it was better to go to my local auction house instead of an internet auction. At the local Auction house they let you come in and test out the goods the day before the auction or the morning of the auction. Sometimes there are small problems with the machines that you can only find out when you are in front of one.

Typically, the cheapest computers you will find at an auction are ex-corporate. Usually some corporation has a deal with HP or Dell to supply their computers....but every 3 years, when the warranty runs out, they sell all the old computers and buy new ones. The computers are in good condition since they were under a full warranty for the last 3 years and the parts inside are plenty and easy to find with great source of download support from their websites.

really man....thinking about this more, wouldn't the shipping cost on that computer be more than 10% of the total price? that is a significant piece of your budget.....since most Ebay purchases require you to pay for shipping...i dont think its gonna be worth it for a $300 machine

tell you what you can do.....pick out the top 5 things you find that you think could be okay, and we'll have a look at them and tell ya which one is the best

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Yeah, I tried that, then I see something better than I let the auction go. Don't know if I want Dual, Triple, or Quad. Than they pull them up and don't know if I want, HP, Dell, Gateway, etc...

So, confusing. This is why I hate shopping. I can't ever make up my mind.

I can dismantle a desktop and put it all back together with no problem. Probably be cheaper if I do that. Make my own gaming system.

But, like, I don't know what the best parts are. CPU Processors, just too many decisions. just like Ram and Fans and motherboards. Oh, the insanity.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Go with dual core unless you do lot of number crunching, or have a need for raw power. I assume your renderings are done mainly on the GPU.
have at least 4GB of RAM, but more RAM is always better.
Choose a motherboard with SLI or crossfire, so even if you use just one card now, you can always upgrade to two.

Umm why cant you play with graphics until you get new pc? whats wrong? Graphics card? why not just replace the card? or whatever else is the prob? for $300 you are probably better off doing that.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
$300 will only get you a low end dual core pentium or athlon machine with integrated graphics. To do heavy graphics rendering requires nvidia quadro or ati/amd fire cards which easily hit $300 by themselves. Quad/tri cores like the phenom II or i7 are completely out of the question at that price point as some of those cpus cost $300 plus alone. Even higher end dual cores like the i3/i5 you won't get that cheap. You would have to get really lucky to get a first generation phenom system that works for that price, but again it will more than likely be an integrated graphics affair.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Then I got lucky getting the Phenom II, Quad, 3.2Gz, 4GB ram, 750 GB DDR

I'm just being a cheapo, Bah. Maybe it's the case design.

edit on 25-7-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   

My first tip is dont bother buying a second hand PC, even if it's new, dont buy it from Ebay

My recommendation is Dell, i have used Dell for the past 4 years and my PC is still as good as the day i got it and will probably last another 4 years.

www.dell.com...

Really great computers and they let you customize every part of your PC from start to end. They have both budget and high end PC's

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

If budget isnt a problem then go out and get yourself an Alienware desktop or laptop

That will handle any graphic needs you have
or a step down from Alienware are the Dell XPS systems.

But i would go with Alienware!

Meet the new Alienware Area 52 desktop -

Area 51 ALX -

edit on 25-7-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Phenom II, Quad, 3.2Gz, 4GB ram, 750 GB DDR

I'm sorry now i am also confused.... are you saying you have $300 to upgrade but then you already have the above specs....

So then why do you need to upgrade or buy a PC for $300... from Ebay of all places?

Perhaps spend the $300 on upgrading your current graphics cards if you do indeed have the above system. Twin SLI Invidia Geforce would be a start, or perhaps twin AMD HD cards.

Also consider getting yourself a SSD for all your hard drive needs

edit on 25-7-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Yeah, I don't think me and Alienware will get along. Too boyish for me.
Those covers look tacky.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

ok go with the XPS systems.

They are still affordable but offer good performance and the look is more sleaker and streamline.

or... if you dont like Dell there are plenty of other options, i am just trying to help and speaking from experiance with Dell systems.

They are far more reliable than many other mainstream PC manufacturer's.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Okay, thank you. No, right now I got a single core gateway that runs slower than a snail.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Whatever you buy and when you do, could you please try to buy from an individual who really needs the money? Do not give your money to the big corporate businesses.

I have a computer that I am selling as well as, well, Im looking at selling everything in my house. Any takers? I have nice stuff,...

edit on 7/25/2011 by mustangill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Simple. Dont! thats probably the dumbest idea ever... buying a computer on ebay. be smart and go to www.newegg.com you can get a brand new computer for factory prices. seriously check it out, you'll be saving yourself a lot of money and trouble.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Be careful buying on ebay. What you save on parts could cost you on shipping. Not all ebay sellers are on the up and up. With that said, if you are comfortable getting to know the inside of your computer you might want to take a look at where I get my computer stuff from:

3btech

They ship quickly and for free, have good prices and have never let me down. They do have a system configurator for bare bones systems with Intel or AMD parts, with or without the operating systems.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I purchased a brand new Dell 8 years ago and when it died I bought used from the $199 computer store on ebay. All refurbished and mine works great. Got 500 GB for $300 and it's really fast. Got a square trade warranty just in case.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
alienware is a total waste of money if youre going to drop money on a brandname go with Falcon North-West.

otherwise your friends are newegg.com and tigerdirect.com order the parts yourself.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I got my new computer and guess what happened when I pressed on??

BLANK BLACK SCREEN. Only my RGB showing up.

I'm sure not all the parts are bad, could be he forgot to load a bios system on it or even windows 7. Guess I'll find out. ugh, figures I would be 1/3 to get the system that wants to be trouble maker.

I checked all the wiring, and sata wires. Hmm,

Even my hard drive with windows doesn't work on it.

new topics

top topics

join