It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Just In - Physicists Prove That Time Travel Is Impossible

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
if time travel is not possible, how am I able to go to sleep now and wake up in the morning. We are all time travelers...

That's not time travel, that's time absence. And that's only relative to you at that moment.

You’re talking more about consciousness and its perception of time; he's referring to manipulating time not perceiving it.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Well, I hate to plug my thread...But my thread kind of... You know.. contradicts this claim.

It is a thread that suggests it is possible. and explains how.

You don't have to travel the speed of light or faster to time travel anyway. According to the theory, the faster you move, the more time slows for you.. The more time slows for you and remains the same for everyone else.. the slower you will age and the faster they will.... Putting you in the future....

How about going back in time? Also possible theoretically... Using wormholes....

Now granted we are along way off from this happening,but I think the only thing keeping us from doing it is the lack of technology.

I say it is possible.... But not yet achievable.

My evidence:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yep, a complete amateur is standing here saying that the physicists are wrong.

Oh and by the way. We are already traveling through time... at the blazing speed of one second per second.

edit on 24-7-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Bull Spit.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
These physicists are revealing nothing new at all here.. It's been known a long time that matter can't travel through linear space-time faster than light..

It would have to take shortcuts through space and "cheat" time, but this doesn't address real time travel still..

With how little mankind really knows about things, to hear him/her say ANYTHING is impossible, is just a laugh

Remember, the speed of sound could never be broken, and before that many other things couldn't be done, but are now..

There are probably more than a few ways to really time travel, but doing it is far above humanities paygrade most likely..

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

All truth right there. I also hope we never figure it out, we're to destructive towards each other.

Unless we have a global shift in consciousness before we figure it out, then I wouldn't care.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Hong Kong physicists say they have proven that a single photon obeys Einstein's theory that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light -- demonstrating that outside science fiction, time travel is impossible.
But travelling faster than the speed of light is most certainly not the only way to achieve time travel. And in fact it's probably one of the last methods I would try.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
forget the speed of light, I think that conciousness can traverse this parameter, think out side of the box. Back to simplier equations..

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I'm pretty sure the article was referring to it being impossible to travel back in time (into the past)

"The study, which showed that single photons also obey the speed limit c, confirms Einstein's causality; that is, an effect cannot occur before its cause," the university said.

Everyone here appears to not have read the Article *sigh*

I'm not really 100% sure about its plausibility of time travel into the past since its all up to our speculations

But logic implies this to me IMO

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ok a hypothetical Scenario

If anyone in the future of humans and/or an aliens did 'invent time travel and went back in time then we would have infinite amount of time travellers visiting us at infinite amount of locations all the time.

Time Travel into the past doesn't make sense. Unless we imply time travelling to other universes that are on a different time frame as us but in sync sort-of with our past and /or future.

edit on 24-7-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
time travel is only half possible because of the grandfather paradox you can only travel forward in time time travel backwards would be impossible because if u traveled back in time and killed your own grandfather than you would not exist so who would have gone back in time to kill your grand father

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

This is probably going to confuse a lot of people, but my point was that the very nature of the experiment and the assumptions supporting it are unfounded due to Einstein's formulas. The scientists are a) attempting to equate time travel with one possible method, i.e. velocity (which itself is relative and not absolute), and b) they are conducting an experiment that, according to the theory they reference, cannot show anything but the very result obtained.

There are theoretical ways to travel in time... hidden within Einstein's equations no less... but they have nothing to do with absolute velocity. And they may not be possible even. I do tend to agree with your statement that if time travel were ever possible, it would be known of from the beginning of time due to the time travelers themselves.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Light can't travel faster than light?

Sorry, that's how I read it. All it seemed to do was re-confirm current theory as though it had been threatened by something.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
the thing i like about science is. Its always being advanced.

I'll be using that line in the future ^^

As for time travel...time does not really exist as we know it. Take 10 minutes when you are stressed out, and take 10 minutes when you are relaxed. There is a huge difference in the "time felt" as opposed to the "time passed". Same goes for near-death experiences. Those having had a true experience of that nature generally report that time went into a near standstill, with every detail being in clear focus. "Time" is but a measurement.

That being said...impossible to travel back, but obviously possible to travel into the future(or more accurately, slow time).

And as for not being able to break the light-barrier, sorry, I was born into a world where everything is possible.

--hoblescotch

EDIT:
[solving my contradiction of: backwards time travel = impossible; nothing = impossible;]
Impossible is only something outside of the realm of possibilities. Therefore anything "unreal" or truly "illogical" is indeed impossible, because they exist outside of the realm of possibilities. Time is not linear, nor real, therefore travelling backwards on a non-existent track is impossible. However, time-travel forwards is possible because it isn't time travel, but age retardation.
*whew*
edit on 25-7-2011 by hoblescotch because: [solving my contradiction of: backwards time travel = impossible; nothing = impossible;]

edit on 25-7-2011 by hoblescotch because: sp

edit on 25-7-2011 by hoblescotch because: sp

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
They're wrong....Not only is time travel possible...it happens every time we send someone to orbit!

(on a very small scale but still true)

www4.ncsu.edu...
www.time.com...
astrowright.wordpress.com...

The longer you stay in orbit, the more your "time" is sped up compared to our "time" on Earth...

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

And this came from china huh? I remember a few months back, the chinese began censoring topics /movies that involve time travel. They also began to arrest people who believed in such.

Sorry, their actions lead me to believe that they are covering something up.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Text

who said time traveling required traveling faster than the speed of light? if your a believer in parallel universes and multi dimensions like my self it doesn't require traveling faster but AT the speed of light. At this speed your body wont age ;D

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
long time lurker, after reading this thread didnt see a link to this article, it kinda suggests that time travel may be possible at some point in time in the future after more research.

science.nasa.gov...

you might also try google for time travel and michio kaku...

have a good day

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jademonkey2k

I think thease scientists have forgotten one very simple principle. If time-travel is impossible.....how do any of us move from one second of time to another? DUH?! Magic?

Reminds me of this:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
D'oh!

The chr0naut's probability wave collapses with a pop.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Lol, Scientists saying they've proven something? I immediately award them 0 credibility. You can't "prove" something. You can "show" it and support it, sure, but prove? Eh... that's pretty risky language for a scientist.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

Nothing is random, there is a thing called pseudo random, but nothing truly random. If there was, physics wouldn't work at all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join