It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'd rather die than settle for a life as a Rock Star.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

Wait.. what do you mean didn't buy into the drugs? Bowie and the Stones? They were strung out of their minds.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by curious7
Question I have to ask is this.

Despite Nickelback being a fairly boring band to listen to, wasn't this song written as a tongue in cheek thing since everybody wants to be one at some point in their lives? With lyrics representing the kind of things that regular people associate with being a rock star even if none of it is true?

Add to that getting ordinary people as well as celebrities from various fields in the music video miming along to the lyrics, helps establish that notion that it's something everyone dreams of being.

Wow, it was a fair way down the page before we got to somebody who put a bit of effort into understanding what the song was about.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Yeah, I took the same thing out of that song as well, totally sarcastic. I think it was Kieth Richards that said not too long ago that if you want to be a successful rock star these days you have to live the clean and sober life. I don't think think he agreed with it too much, but he was resigned to the fact that this is the way it is now.

It's a different ballgame than the 60's and 70's because most of the coperate people who draw up the contracts don't want drug addled, booze soaked liabilities who may do god knows what at any given time. Every now and then a Kid Rock will slip through the cracks and give his handlers nightmares, but people like him are in the minority these days.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
You sir are an idiot who is generalising an awful lot. Look at nikki Sixx from Motley Crue who were one of the most arrogent self indulgent bands ever. He know helps homeless children in poverty stricken countries, drug addicts and the homeless with a number of charities, some that he has personally funded and set up.

The kind of person you label a rockstar as being could just as easily be an office worker who acts the same but just has a different day job. It sounds to me that you are jealous of the attention that they get and you want to slag them off to make yourself feel better.

Who wouldn't want to make a living out of being a rock star? Playing music for a living is a dream itself without the huge money involved. Loadsa people do jobs that dont benefit society or humanity at all but you probably dont care about them because you arn't jealous of them.

Btw I play in a rock band an have had the time of my life doing so for the last few years and I used to indulge in the lifestyle a fair bit along with others I knew and many of them were the kindest most giving people I have ever met. Many gave up their time to raise money for charity doing gigs where costs wernt even covered as all money was donated, not even large charities do this very often!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
The only truly evil thing about that song is that it was ruthlessly used in a British advert to sell sofas - thus it ruined many a rock night!
edit on 25-7-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Very different thing having a day job and doing weekend gigs. A number of us on this thread have had that sort of experience. A rush working with other musicians to produce a different dynamic than one can do solo, and another rush to perform for an audience - some that came to hear the band and not just a bunch of bar-drunks. That's as close as many of us get to "Rock Star" and it is a great rush but it is a long way from those who made a contract with the recording industry devils and have to go on the road promoting their current release with several more LP's on their contract to produce yet, with those devils just pushing you to default the contract so they can take everything you did, claim it as their own, and leave you indebted for life.

I've had a hell of a blast with garage bands, weekend gig, or the occasional high school dance while being a student of said high school. Still a rush, close as I've had to rock fame but a whole long way from the life and death of my former almost-cousin-in-law.

edit on 25-7-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by fooks

Wait.. what do you mean didn't buy into the drugs? Bowie and the Stones? They were strung out of their minds.

well they either trumped up their party image and/or handled it quite well, seeing they been in biz for 40+yrs.

the rest of them met untimely deaths. rip people.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by LazerTron

Why not? You can post a song in the creative writers forum, or put a link to your stuff in your sig. Or just throw out a link in a thread like this where it will be on topic.

Mine's in my sig, and we are as far from Nickleback, or even Metal as you can possibly get and still have guitars and drums in a band.

It's all good, if you do what's right.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

I really enjoyed your music! Great production value, catchy lyrics and nice I IV V hooks.

one plug coming up....

soundcloud.com...

join us over on soundclik as well.

And let's keep this thread alive by giving it generous bumps

www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=11896405#pid11896405

Many thanks Curious7 !!

edit on 25-7-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious
You sir are an idiot who is generalising an awful lot. Look at nikki Sixx from Motley Crue who were one of the most arrogent self indulgent bands ever. He know helps homeless children in poverty stricken countries, drug addicts and the homeless with a number of charities, some that he has personally funded and set up.

The kind of person you label a rockstar as being could just as easily be an office worker who acts the same but just has a different day job. It sounds to me that you are jealous of the attention that they get and you want to slag them off to make yourself feel better.

Who wouldn't want to make a living out of being a rock star? Playing music for a living is a dream itself without the huge money involved. Loadsa people do jobs that dont benefit society or humanity at all but you probably dont care about them because you arn't jealous of them.

Btw I play in a rock band an have had the time of my life doing so for the last few years and I used to indulge in the lifestyle a fair bit along with others I knew and many of them were the kindest most giving people I have ever met. Many gave up their time to raise money for charity doing gigs where costs wernt even covered as all money was donated, not even large charities do this very often!

I hope you aren't talking to me. Because I never said these 'Rock Stars' were bad people. It's also a horrible assumption that I could be jealous of something I claim to feel would drive me to suicide. Oh, and you call me 'SIR'? For what reason? My gender isn't listed here. I'm not even calling you a bad person with the statement I'm about to make, but you've played yourself the judgmental fool in this reply.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Yea, I think the song is totally sarcastic. I don't think Nickelback themselves are this truly shallow. But, that doesn't change the fact that so many rockstars live this way. I'm saying that if I were in their place, well, I would kill myself. This may very well be yes, the reason Kurt Cobain ended his life if he did, in fact do so. Jury's still out on that, so I'm not getting in on that.

<< 1  2   >>

join