It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ELENIN on STEREO-B test roll. 22-JULY 2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

Just found this video on the STEREO-B footage of the latest test. STEREO-B done a 135 degree spin to take a peek at ELENIN. Check this video for more.

STEREO-B test elenin

Please feel free to embed or screenshot.

I want to know what you all think
edit on 24-7-2011 by MasterAndrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Don't know what to make of that. Could be an amazingly bright elenin or just glare.
Time will tell though.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Not sure what I should see - as above stated it's just a really big bright light?!
Someone with more knowledge in the area could perhaps enlighten us?
Should it be so large and brightens if so why - I thought was a small comet?

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
The dude that posted the video (NOT the ATS OP) needs to understand the difference between the terms "roll," "pitch," and "yaw," because he's failing at it miserably.

A "roll" maneuver is like a plane doing a barrel roll. The plane continues flying in a forward direction, but "rolls" left to right or vice-versa. The important thing to remember is that during the maneuver, the nose of the plane is pointed in the same direction. In the case of the satellite, during the roll, the camera never deviates from looking at the Sun.

This is knowledge I gained when I took flying lessons while attending military school. If NASA uses the terms differently it's news to me.

ETA: Apparently these terms are STILL being used as they were 30 years ago. Have a graphic. Or two

Hope that helps.
edit on 7/24/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/24/2011 by OldCorp because: Spellin an punkshoeation

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
According to the schedule
stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...
today was a test
Behind: Test of 135 degree roll for comet Elenin, 12-14 UT
observation is
Aug 1-12 Behind: Spacecraft rolls to observe comet Elenin

Whatever that was, it was only one frame.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
The dude that posted the video (NOT the ATS OP) needs to understand the difference between the terms "roll," "pitch," and "yaw," because he's failing at it miserably.

A "roll" maneuver is like a plane doing a barrel roll. The plane continues flying in a forward direction, but "rolls" left to right or vice-versa. The important thing to remember is that during the maneuver, the nose of the plane is pointed in the same direction. In the case of the satellite, during the roll, the camera never deviates from looking at the Sun.

This is knowledge I gained when I took flying lessons while attending military school. If NASA uses the terms differently it's news to me.

ETA: Apparently these terms are STILL being used as they were 30 years ago. Have a graphic. Or two

Hope that helps.

Liar and fraud.. i take no notice of your posts anywhere whether correct or not, you should focus on your own unfinished threads before trying to contribute to others,...fraud

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by RadicalRebel

Originally posted by OldCorp

Hope that helps.

Liar and fraud.. i take no notice of your posts anywhere whether correct or not, you should focus on your own unfinished threads before trying to contribute to others,...fraud

Pfft. Whatever.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl
Whatever that was, it was only one frame.
Either the sun exploded, or there was a glitch in one frame.

It looks like the sun is still there, so that means it was probably a glitch.

And the person who made the youtube video should find a more constructive use of their time because they don't seem to have any idea what they're doing.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Its official STEREO-B NASA test specifically to look at elenin. How about you understand what you're talking about. the links are provided in this thread.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MasterAndrew

I do understand that. What's that got to do with the flash in the video?

Or are you talking about something besides the flash?

EDIT to add: Here is the NASA explanation for that type of flash during a roll:

stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Welcome to the STEREO Learning Center
Image artifacts - Spacecraft rolls
Periodically, the STEREO spacecraft are rolled around the Sun-pointed axis for calibration purposes. The result can be some very odd coronagraph images as shown below. This is because the processing algorithms don't work properly during the roll.

edit on 24-7-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by MasterAndrew

As pointed out by Pauligirl, it was a test roll. As pointed out by OldCorp, a roll manuever keeps the camera aimed at the Sun.

Elenin is currently outside the orbit of STEREO B, not in view of the camera.

As pointed out by Pauligirl, the actual observations of Elenin by STEREO B will begin in a week.

spaceobs.org...
edit on 7/24/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
The video man actually says that the sun 'visor' is still in place, I don't know if it can be moved out of the way. whatever, there is going to be stuff you can't see dead ahead.

As for videoman talking about a roll, it actually says that in the forum he's on, so not his own words anyway, and the brightness of the light is most likely light saturation, and from the sun.

Now can we all start again ffs.

top topics

join