It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Circumcision campaign in Africa reduces HIV infections 76%, study finds

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
LINK

Percentage decrease in HIV infections among a group of 20,000 men over age 15 from Orange Farm Township in South Africa who were offered free circumcision procedures as part of an AIDS prevention campaign that brought the proportion of circumcised men in the community from 16% to 50%. Previous clinical trials have demonstrated the protective effect of circumcision against contracting HIV and other sexually transmitted infections...

Genesis 17

We often wonder why God specifies the things He does in the OT. In this case, the answer is clear. It was to increase their numbers and to provide a healthier environment for childbearing. Most likely, it was also for the health of the woman as well. Yeast infections account for an entire host of problems which are solved with circumcision.

2 Then I will make my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers.”

9 Then God said to Abraham, “As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you for the generations to come. 10 This is my covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised. 11 You are to undergo circumcision, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and you. 12 For the generations to come every male among you who is eight days old must be circumcised, including those born in your household or bought with money from a foreigner—those who are not your offspring. 13 Whether born in your household or bought with your money, they must be circumcised. My covenant in your flesh is to be an everlasting covenant. 14 Any uncircumcised male, who has not been circumcised in the flesh, will be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.”

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I have no problem with a man getting a circumcision.

When you do it to a baby, without their consent, it is mutilating the genitals of a child, and your punishment should be death by fire.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

What absolute rubbish

There is no link between circumcision and any sexually transitted or any other venereal condiitons. Obviously the statistics are simply, botched and part of some agenda. The fact is, you trade bodily fluids with someone who has HIV, you are likely to get the condition.

Im uncircumsised and Im proud of it...and Ive never had one complaint

Could of done without the religious BS too

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I don't buy it for a second, the only way unnatural genital mutilation is cutting down on AIDS is by making those men who do get circumcised unwilling to have sex or unable to get sex partners. During the time it takes to recover from such a procedure I imagine those men aren't having very much sex and social stigma of getting a circumcision may exist (they did mention only 15% of them had the procedure done).

Why would the God that created mankind suggest circumcision for health reasons? Isn't that basically admitting he made a mistake when creating us to begin with? The idea is preposterous.

As mentioned by a poster above me it's also barbaric and horrible for people to do this to babies, rather than grown individuals who have consented to it. Luckily those in the article seem to be 15 and up. Still, can you imagine being that old and having it done? How soon after would you want to get busy?
edit on 23-7-2011 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It is genital mutilation plain and simple..

I'm not sure why my parents didn't do it to me but I'm glad.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
I have no problem with a man getting a circumcision.

When you do it to a baby, without their consent, it is mutilating the genitals of a child, and your punishment should be death by fire.

Are you kidding? So you think all the parents who've had their child circumcised should be executed?? Maybe I'm just crazy, but I was circumcised as a child and I'm actually thankful for it; especially that I don't remember the procedure and have had plenty of time to recoup. On-top of that I in no way think my parents deserve punishment for it, I love them all the more. And I'm perfectly happy with the way my cock looks/feels/functions; and so do the ladies. Simply put, I couldn't disagree with you more...but nice to know you think my parents should die by fire....

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I, personaly have no problem with it. I have been since..well I don`t know ...birth, maybe. I can`t remember
Well anyway aparently cutting the forskin reduces the surface area of the smegma producing mucosa hence reducing the chances of infection. Kind of makes sence. But who am I to say what`s good and what`s not. All I know is women LOVE it.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

And people that give their baby vaccines are violently assaulting them?

How about people that breast feed. Should we consider that sexual assault, since the baby is not consenting to having a breast in its mouth?

Give me a break.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

What absolute rubbish

There is no link between circumcision and any sexually transitted or any other venereal condiitons.

. . .

Someone failed to read the link in the OP

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

What absolute rubbish

There is no link between circumcision and any sexually transitted or any other venereal condiitons.

. . .

Someone failed to read the link in the OP

I read the OP

This is the reason why the article is rubbish

They found an average of 2.86 HIV infections per 100 uncircumcised men, compared with 0.42 per 100

Take 200 African men from one of the highest HIV infected areas in the world and survey them. How the hell how you base facts off a 200 person test? Huh? tell me.....you dont know how the HIV infected men even got it. They could have been born with it or came into contact with other bodily fluids, but I bet you didnt think of that did you....of course not....you just assumed

You're just prejudiced

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

Some even went as far to say they think when a guy isn't circumcised it's nearly a turn off.

Some say girls with small breasts are a turn-off, does this mean we should support mandatory breast implants? NOPE.

The social stigma associated with not having your genitals mutilated is not a reason to continue mutilating genitals.

By the way did you know the most sensitive area of the penis is removed by circumcision, including thousands of nerve endings, ie we who got circumcised are missing out on the full range of sexual sensation we could otherwise be experiencing.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu
reply to post by XLR8R

Agreed. Every girl I've known said they like a circumcised cock better. Some even went as far to say they think when a guy isn't circumcised it's nearly a turn off. I'm more than happy with my outcome..

It all comes down to personal preference. My partner was intitally like that, but she soon changed her mind when she found out that uncircumsised penis' are actually just as clean as most circumsised penis'. It comes down to personal hygiene IMO. But like Ive said, Ive never had any bad comments at all

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu
reply to post by XLR8R

Agreed. Every girl I've known said they like a circumcised cock better. Some even went as far to say they think when a guy isn't circumcised it's nearly a turn off. I'm more than happy with my outcome..

I have to say I am one of those girls. I have been accused of being shallow, but an uncircumcised guy, yeah, I just can't go there.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
There is a link there to the LA Times story, two studies, concluding the same results. The LA Times is not a conservative news outlet, so you can discount the bias angle. Also, it shows great benefits for the female as well. As I stated, yeast infections are responsible for many female problems, including cancer and infertility. There are countless studies showing the same benefits. More and more evidence comes to light each year showing the significance of biblical wisdom in relation to modern medicine. There is a great deal we still do not realize about our own behaviors in relation to our health. Assuming the obviousness of our bio-mechanically engineered bodies, I show deference to the designer.

Why the extra skin? It is fused in the fetus and prevents infections and friction before birth. After birth, hormones loosen the skin during childhood. It has a function before birth. Is circumcision necessary in this day and age? Possibly not for a clean individual with access to reasonable sanitation. In biblical times and in third world nations??? Absolutely. Studies concur. Given the nature of most men, it is a safe bet all the way around.

What absolute rubbish

There is no link between circumcision and any sexually transitted or any other venereal condiitons. Obviously the statistics are simply, botched and part of some agenda. The fact is, you trade bodily fluids with someone who has HIV, you are likely to get the condition.

Im uncircumsised and Im proud of it...and Ive never had one complaint

Could of done without the religious BS too

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I absolutely LOVE my circumcision!! I could not imagine going in for that type of surgery and i am glad that it happened at a time that i cant remember at all. I do believe that it cuts (no pun intended) diseases down dramatically. I am a male, i am a man and i have a penis. This is just my opinion.

I am not sure of the T&C's on this subject so i will not elaborate further.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Well, Ive never given anyone a yeast infection, and Ive never had any infection down there due to uncleanliness or any STD's. Im not a religious believer at all, but scientifically speaking, as far as Im concerned, there is no link. There are countless scientific journals that find no correlation between circumcision on anything. Im not saying its a biased test, its just careless, and the results should not be taken as gospel. Show me actual evidence, explaining why and I might reconsider....but the article simply states a small sample population and no factual reason on why they came to this conclusion.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

Some even went as far to say they think when a guy isn't circumcised it's nearly a turn off.

Some say girls with small breasts are a turn-off, does this mean we should support mandatory breast implants at birth? NOPE.

The social stigma associated with not having your genitals mutilated is not a reason to continue mutilating genitals.

By the way did you know the most sensitive area of the penis is removed by circumcision, including thousands of nerve endings, ie we who got circumcised are missing out on the full range of sexual sensation we could otherwise be experiencing.

Sorry not even close. Apart from giving a baby breast implants being very dangerous in multiple ways, it just wouldn't work, as their proportions are at the earliest stage. And why would you give a baby breast implants if you don't know whether or not their breast will even be ample once mature?? Your comparison is wrong and invalid on multiple levels. However, the superficial aspect is only one aspect I mentioned. As I said before, I'm perfectly happy with the way my cock functions, looks, and feels. Yes I've heard many times that you loose nerve endings and don't get the maximum pleasure, but I really don't care. I can still feel, and it still feels GOOD. The women love it as well. Unlike this previous poster who may or may not be insane, I don't think we should execute parents who choose to have their child circumcised..

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I don't think we should execute them either but genital mutilation should be a crime. Most of the medical benefits it supposedly has are actually disputed amongst those involved in medicine, there is no clear consensus on the subject. Some studies, like these, suggest it has positive effects. The question is whether those positives are enough to justify something as horrible as mutilating the genitals of an infant stopping them from ever feeling the full array of sexual pleasure.

Medical benefits that are disputed + social stigma =/= to justifying genital mutilation.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

I understand your reasoning, and as an adult I can see why the concept of circumcision appears brutal/un-needed. However, my opinion now is that I'm happy I was circumcised, and wouldn't take it back even if I had the magical option. If I ever have a son, will I have him circumcised? Probably not, but that doesn't mean I'm going to say whether or not any other parent can make the decision. Circumcision has existed since when, ancient Egypt? And what harm has it done to humanity? Really none as far as I know.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join