It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Borders and Starbucks: Read it and weap

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Cool, thanks for the links. I've been to the 2nd and 3rd stores listed, and like their reviews, I wasn't impressed. I've never been to Adams Street Bookstore. Sounds promising, but it's about a 30 minute drive. I'll check it out one day.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

That Adams Street one does sound impressive! If I ever find myself in San Diego I'll be sure to drop in for a couple hours.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This is sad...very very (emphasis) sad...

Kindle...we use kindling to start fires...fires destroy...ie. Fahrenheit 451...burn the books and put 'em on Kindle...umm, yeah.

New idea...save the trees...greater learning through technology and Monsanto...nothing is constant but change...and that is all this New World is about...change...keep things changing every minute, hour, day, week, month, year, and never stop...just go, go, go....fill your minds with words on an electronic device...eventually that device will be READING to you, turning it's own pages and your mind will download the information as if you were a computer...with no feelings, or emotions...totally controllable. Guess who wins???

Books...have weight, texture, smell...touching our minds as well as our physical senses...part of the enjoyment of reading a good story...Borders...sorry to see they are leaving the scene...but I still have 1/2 Price Books. No coffee there...but I will say that the prices are great and service is acceptable...It is still an adventure to search out something that appeals to me...not just sit on my butt and order online material, which further alienates me from leaving my hovel.

Problems getting rid of old books? Sell them back to 1/2 Price. No such store where you live? Sell 'em at a yard sale, make a little money for yourself...donate them to the Library...in turn the Library will sell them and keep the money...Make 'em into bird houses, you can find the instructions online...Buy the Book! Not the Kindle.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam

Love the smell of books, hate the new fangled download a book thingy

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Well that certainly can cause some logistical problems, eh?

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
LOL its like a group of hippies telling everyone vinyl is way better then CDs man

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
LOL its like a group of hippies telling everyone vinyl is way better then CDs man

Vinyl rocks man!

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
My daughter has a kindle, that her grandparents got her, but like me, she prefers real books. I personal have enough books to open a used bookstore, but I wouldn't sell them for the world. If I could I would have wall to wall bookshelves in every room in my home. I know a lot of people don't like B&N but I enjoy my local one. Over the last few years however they have reduced the places for sitting.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
There are at least three used bookstores in my city.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Dude! That's one of the ones I was talking about!

I prefer Red Letter myself, just because of the atmosphere. I really like the family that owns the Bookworm, though, and I prefer their fantasy/sci-fi section to Red Letter's.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
Ill personally stick to tangible reading material in the form of print, rather than translated 1s and 0s.

Real books just feel so much more... REAL.

But its no surprise that simulated books are the new in things... society is populated with simulated people!
edit on 23-7-2011 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

Have you actually used a Kindle? There is nothing simulated about Kindle books. The text is better than on a lot of cheaply printed books. I have over 50 books on my Kindle, my wife is closing in on 100. They're all with me, instantly available, whenever I have my Kindle with me. Want a new book? If you can find it in the Kindle Store it can be on your device, ready to read, in less than a minute. I like real books too but after having a Kindle I'll never be without one if I can help it.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by wasco2

Oh Yeah? Well, lets see you read your Kindle after comet Elenin/Nibiru/Wormwood/Nemisis/Solar Flares/asteroid/ interupts out electrical field. Where's your Kindle then. huh? You will be happy to have a book to curl up with in your underground bunker!

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Borders, I will miss you. You were the closest bookstore i had, and i now need to take a 30 minute drive to buy a new book, however, since you are going out of business, i will reap your going out of business benefits and fill my garage with books

I prefer books rather than downloaded "pages" mainly because it is a lot harder to take away a certain book you dont want people reading for some reason, than to delete it off of everyones kindle.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by wasco2

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
Ill personally stick to tangible reading material in the form of print, rather than translated 1s and 0s.

Real books just feel so much more... REAL.

But its no surprise that simulated books are the new in things... society is populated with simulated people!
edit on 23-7-2011 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

Have you actually used a Kindle? There is nothing simulated about Kindle books. The text is better than on a lot of cheaply printed books. I have over 50 books on my Kindle, my wife is closing in on 100. They're all with me, instantly available, whenever I have my Kindle with me. Want a new book? If you can find it in the Kindle Store it can be on your device, ready to read, in less than a minute. I like real books too but after having a Kindle I'll never be without one if I can help it.

That, of course is your choice to use a simulation of the "real" thing...everything is an illusion...so one more shouldn't matter. Glad you are happy with the product.

What happens when the "product" is no longer viable? When you can't get the binary code for that particular product and the product is no longer in Kindle print...no longer exists...? With paper books...at least there will always be one back up in the future...possibly in a central library in a vacuum capsule but it would still be here...your binary code will only work with a product that reads it...and that more than likely will have put it's self out of a job...many years prior.

Of course you could always follow the F451 theory...memorize all books...now there's an idea..

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I don't like the idea of everything being digital. The idea of history or thoughts being altered or erased with a keystroke is a scary thought.Knowledge being controlled is not freedom.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Barnes and Noble is broke too, thanks to the "lets get it all for free in the Internet" crowd.

Its not all kindles fault, its the BILLIONS of illegal downloads happening every day.

Only the rich should read, lets ban libraries too. Of course
you've never been in one.
edit on 23-7-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRokkyy

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Barnes and Noble is broke too, thanks to the "lets get it all for free in the Internet" crowd.

Its not all kindles fault, its the BILLIONS of illegal downloads happening every day.

Only the rich should read, lets ban libraries too. Of course
you've never been in one.
edit on 23-7-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

It's not nearly as simple as all that. Writers work extremely hard on their products, and pirating of those works takes money away from them. Pirating makes the authors basically work for free.

And I've got several writer friends -- it's not just the big names who suffer. Pirates on the whole do not discriminate between JK Rowling and No-Names. These are people who genuinely need to be paid for this work, paid exclusively based on sales.

And they all support libraries and used bookstores, too. I don't know a single author who doesn't love the library.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by NuroSlam

Love the smell of books, hate the new fangled download a book thingy

I like them both, the nook comes in handy if im out and about with my daughter and she decides to goto the park or something, I can just pull it out and bring up a book, or tether it to my phone for the web or netflix. Its about the size of a book and fits nicely in the back pocket. I don't always know what I want to read and having 100's of books on sdcard gives me a nice selection at a moments notice.

I also like to kick back in my lazyboy with a nice heavy history book and just get lost in the pages.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join