It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moderation Is The Key! (Oooops!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Low to moderate sugar-sweetened beverage consumption impairs glucose and lipid metabolism and promotes inflammation in healthy young men: a randomized controlled trial

Conclusion: The present data show potentially harmful effects of low to moderate consumption of SSBs on markers of cardiovascular risk such as LDL particles, fasting glucose, and hs-CRP within just 3 wk in healthy young men, which is of particular significance for young consumers.

The whole idea of a "balanced diet" or "everything in moderation" is completely outdated and irresponsible. Atherogenic biomarkers positively increased as fructose consumption increased. In other words, eating fructose causes increases the risk for developing cardiovascular disease.

*it's worth noting that this was a study on sweetened beverages, not whole foods. The fructose found in fruits, honey, etc, isn't likely to have the same effect ( purified nutrients behave differently than those found in whole foods )
edit on 23-7-2011 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Interesting study.. Although I'm not surprised...

I always take "everything in moderation" as just a general rule of thumb. Smoking is still bad whether it's in moderation or not. Basically not drinking high fructose beverages is the only way to go. I don't expect the FDA to ever support these findings or provide updated consumption recommendations. Mostly due to the fact that beverage makers are huge economic powerhouses that most likely have politicians working in their favor.

Always good to educate consumers though..
Maybe people will think twice when giving kids 16 oz bottles of pure concentrated sugar water..

join