It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I'm wrong...what about the other 13,000,000,000 who came before me....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Thinking about believing in right and wrong, following the bible, and living an upright life....

If you will, I wish to ponder a question, " If what I believe to be true, that there is a God, and there is right, and wrong, and many others ( 13,000,000,000 ) or so who came before me, believed in these things, then why am I perceived to be in the minority, or one of the few simple thinkers, these days, when I express my views"?

After all, how can I be considered a small and unique viewpoint, when so many people throughout history have believed in, and fought for these same ideals?

Perhaps, I am a dieing breed, of a people that when soon cease to exist.... those who give a snip, and are willing to live or die for the principle, of what we all know to be fact, in our minds, " Right and Wrong"

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
And with luck to be replaced by people who understand that Right and Wrong are concepts that work in relation to a scale and that there are as many scales as people in this earth.
And so, will understand that there are other ways for those who seek guidance.

Drakus

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Ones own perception of God shouldn't be confused with the teachings of organized religion. Those are all man made farces to control the masses, and its worked fairly well for a long time. Today you are experiencing more flack for expressing your views because people are becoming detuned to the idea of someone telling them what God is when they can feel it in their own hearts. When you are free from organized religion injecting fear into you then you can truly have a relationship with God that is pure and uninfluenced by somebody else that is also struggling to have a more personal relationship with God.

I know it sounds like I'm am coming down on organized religion. Personally, I think that most of them are great and bring people together in a community oriented way to solve issues and help people. That is superb! Just remember that your relationship with God is yours. Nobody can tell you how to feel or what to think.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by freetree64
After all, how can I be considered a small and unique viewpoint, when so many people throughout history have believed in, and fought for these same ideals?

Because the ideals were and are not the same.
What are the ideals anyhow? Stoning adulterers or your children (if they deny your god) is taught just as much in the bible as turning the other cheek and loving your neighbor. Because of the large number of different (and partially conflicting) ideals mentioned in the bible, I would assume it to be rather hard to find a large number of people who actively share the same ideals. Some Christians think gay marriage is an insult to God, others think that God created gays just as much as he created straight people.

Spreading the Christian faith nowadays (mostly with flyers and pickets, I suppose) is very different from the way it was done back in the Middle Ages (Well, we all know how that went). Religions change constantly, as do their followers.

So what it comes down to, I think, is that I don't quite understand why you believe that your point of view is that of a minority?

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

There are many people who believe in their perceived right/wrong who are not christian. It is wrong to steal, murder, kidnap, rape....It is right to be honest, kind, charitable and thoughtful.....it does not take a belief in a bible to think these things...

what is disappearing is peoples belief that the bible is infallible...

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MarineRecon77

Correct, and excellent reply, these are inherent concepts, not outside influences.....

If human beings had an instinct, it would be this thing....

Thank you for your responses, it alone restores my faith in humanity, on this dark dawn.....
edit on 23-7-2011 by freetree64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Hold on to your thoughts! Give it a couple years, big changes are taking place, will take place. A new age approaches.

You are not alone

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mattime

Roger That..... Tango Yankee.....

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Hi free,

I believe in everything you believe in, except the bible.

The problem with the bible is that it was written by many people.

I am looking forward to a TV programme here tomorrow about the truth about Jesus - it should be interesting.

I am a follower of Jesus.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Many millions of people throughout history used to think that the planets were Gods. Many millions of people throughout history used to think that the star named "Sun" was a God. Many millions of people throughout history used to think that this was the only planet that existed. Many millions of people throughout history used to think that our planet was the center of the universe. Many millions of people throughout history used to think that the star named "Sun" revolved around the planet named "Earth". Many millions of people throughout history used to think that the planet named "Earth" was flat. Many millions of people throughout history used to think that storms were punishment from the Gods.

Look how far Science has taken us.......

Just imagine how much farther we have yet to go carried and uplifted by our senses, observation and the scientific method.

Let Science carry you away from mythology, fear of the unknown and superstition.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   

If I'm wrong...what about the other 13,000,000,000 who came before me...

They were all wrong, too.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Your questions reach into the heart of mankind, man . kind ... i didn't mean that but it works, lol. Being kind is how we survived before, and how we'll survive again. There's a base normality in it which evokes the humanity, again, humanity denotes kindness (humanitarian mission).

You're right that it's a dieing understanding of the world, i cannot accept that as an accident either, but it's become an uncommon thing. I'm one of those that agrees with you, and understands asking the question. My answers may sound wrong to you, depends what you're expecting to hear. Maybe my answers help you in some way.

My answer is keep at it, you're doing what you believe right. Nobody else could tell you you're wrong. Same time, you're the only one who can change your mind, and you have to listen to yourself, always. Even if it means you were wrong before, now you know better. It's a question of trusting yourself and being critical of yourself at the same time, but in harmony.

peace!

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

All humans are created with all of those "good" qualities hardwired into our souls. Even the wild aboriginal peoples around the world have knowledge of right and wrong, even though the memory of the one true Creator and his teachings have faded through time.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
There is no logical way to measure or attest to the beliefs of 13,000,000,000 dead people.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

You're not a minority.

Atheists are hte minority. In the US they're a single digit population. Most people in the world are religious.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Some posts here are absolutely correct. If I have learned anything at all on ATS, it is that there is a disturbing distinction between religion and faith. Over and over I have read rants and raves about someone's determination to remain atheistic, agnostic, apologetic, etc and the true meaning of the comments are directed towards religion. Of course, many, many people think there can be no real separation of the two, and that becomes their reality. As a deeply devoted Christian (meaning I accepted Jesus as my personal Savior because I am PERSONALLY convinced He is exactly what I have heard, read, and studied intensely about), it concerns me when any person wants to label an evil deed on his or her religious beliefs. I cannot comprehend how it escapes these people how such attitudes make their job of spreading the Word so much harder. How much energy and time has to be wasted before these people realize what could have been accomplished if they had channeled their efforts constructively?

So, in answer to your question, I do hope that anyone who responds allows you and I the freedom to express ourselves as we believe and do not submit themselves to the tendency to tag us with one tidy, but incorrect opinion. Opinions, religion, etc. do not necessarily reflect or endorse our act of "faith". For some, organized religion is the only way for them to thrive and grow. I therefore believe I must accept their right to make that decision, as well as those who make the decision not to believe at all, and hope they are not lead down the wrong path. There will be a point and time when we all find out unequivocally who is right and who is wrong.

As for me and my house, we choose to serve the Lord.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I've said it before and I am going to say it again:

God is like a huge mountain...and standing around the base of the mountain....are people from all religions, races, colors, and creeds....holding hands....and all...looking up...at the same mountain.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Two 'wrongs' do not make a 'right'.
13,000,000,000 'wrongs' do not make a 'right' either.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
A call to arms, to stand up for ourselves, to stand up against our collective descent.

top topics

join