It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pain Meditation: 4 Wisdom Teeth Removed; No Sedation or Post-Op Meds

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Thanks much for your post! I was beginning to think perhaps there was something wrong with me, as I have been using a somewhat similar technique for the past couple of years, during which time I hadn't read or heard of anyone else doing so. It's simply amazing what our minds can accomplish with a little practice, although I found my method just came naturally, without any meditation whatsoever. Being that everyone is different, I'm quite sure there are many other techniques for dealing with pain without the use of medication, and am hoping that other members will post theirs!
I'm getting up there in years, and although I try to stick to a proper diet, for the past couple of years I have on occasion suffered from rather severe constipation. Now anyone who has had to deal with the discomfort of this not very nice condition will know that when indeed a bowel movement finally starts to happen, the pain involved can be quite excrutiating, often resulting in knotted stomach muscles, a copious amount of sweat, and chipped teeth from the hard grinding that can also result in painful facial muscles. However I have found that much of the pain can be alleviated by the following:
Once having got as comfortable in the "ready position" as my condition will allow, and after an initial bit of grunting to help get things moving, I offer a little prayer to my God that goes something like this (actually it's more of a plea): "Aargh!...ooh!...oh God!...please help me!...owwweee!...whew!...oh no!...aargh!...whew!...oh please God...please!" Not only does this help nullify the pain somewhat, it also seems to make the time spent in suffering, go by much quicker!
My heart goes out to anyone else having to suffer through one of these unpleasant episodes, but perhaps if you care to give it a try, this same technique and prayer will also work for you!

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Back when I had mine removed, 25 years ago
, I went into the office a complete wreck, scared to death. Back then, you got an I.V. (I HATE needles, petrified of them). Long story short, the Dr. could not do my extractions in the office. I had to go the next day to out patient surgery at the local hospital. The recovery was terrible.. In all fairness, I must add my fear of dentist in general. They scare me to death. I only had my cavities filled if I got laughing gas. Needles, dentist are my two least favorite things to deal with in life.

Editing to add: I did give birth to 6 children, with no drugs, medication, epidurals, nothing! So its not a matter of pain for me, just fear!
edit on 23-7-2011 by summer5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thanks! I truly appreciate it. It's not a problem if you aren't able to find it but I appreciate you looking!

2nd

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thank you for your kind words regarding the op, it is much appreciated!
The moment we acknowledge things head-on, the more our problems tend to resolve. When we resist, we only increase the sum total of resistance in the equation.

reply to post by Hopeforeveryone

All too easy to misunderstand one another online

I use the techniques mentioned in the op for just about all aliments, injuries, and discomforts. People should seek medicines when necessary, but be aware of alternative methods.

reply to post by BadBoYeed

I'm no better than anyone for forgoing meds. We're all equal and capable of pretty much the same things, just a matter of intent, confidence, and training.

reply to post by mesaana

Originally posted by mesaana
id do it again just for the gas.

Haha, it must be some good stuff

reply to post by Trublbrwing

However, we must be mindful of what/when we decline meds or professional help. The practice of medicine should not be dismissed all the same as natural and self-healing should not be dismissed. The self-healing sure is cheaper and helps build tolerance! But we must find balance in self-healing and professional healing.

reply to post by Bkrmn

What works for one person may be another person's hinderance. We must all find our own ways, and realize what empowers us on an individual level. Your situation does sound painfully discomforting, I'm glad you have found a way to ease the suffering.

reply to post by summer5

Makes lots of sense! Fear is an emotion that helps to keep us safe, but it is one of the most powerful hinderances if we allow it to control us in any aspect. "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." [Franklin D. Roosevelt]

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Oh i don't doubt the power of thought and meditation when it comes to helping the body along - i've used similar techinues myself. When in real pain i prefer to visualise an ideal beach senario where im at he sea edge in a deck chair enjoying a nice drink in the sun, waves lapping at my feet etc etc - if anything it mainly the relaxation that brings that helps the pain,

On a weirder note, a couple of years ago i had a tooth removed due to a dodgy filling and had a few sessions of meditation to try and grow it back - yeah weird i know, bit of an experiment. Odd thing was though about a year later i had an extra tooth growing behind a tooth one up from the one i had removed. Dentist thought it a bit odd too but some people do get extra teeth but not often in their thirties. had to have that one pulled in the end too as it was growing in the wrong place. I put it in the weird and unexplained file, probably just a coiincidence.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join