It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These Stats From Australia May Shock You

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
In 2010 to 2011 the Australian governent allocated 18.1 million Australian Taxpayers Dollars to the Alternative housing of only 1287 foreign citizens who have arrived illegally and are deemed to require special accomodation , such as motels.
That works out to be fourteen thousand and sixty three dollars per person spent in a one year period.
On top of this money spent per head, allowances are paid which equate to roughly $17,000 per adult (single) .
Plus they get access to medicare despite not having paid the medicare levy.
They get access to legal practioners , and English lessons.

So ?

An Australian born pensioner who has worked and contributed taxes for approx forty five years , receives approx S17420 Aud per annum, an involuntary unemployed person receives less.
On just accomodation and allowances alone these 1287 individuals have had $31,000 dollars spent on them.

There are thousands of Australians living on the streets who are mentally ill, due to the Government closing Mental wards, there are people working and sleeping in cars.

To cap this off the Government is reportedly spending one billion dollars Aud on the approx 6,000 boat arrivals who are detained whilst security checks and eligibility checks are carried out.
This is just for the detention centre accomodation.
This works out to be $200,000 per asylum seeker.
Yes thats right the government has signed a one billion contract with a private firm to house a few thousand asylum seekers and it costs approx 200,000 per head according to my calculations.

A pensioner gets $17,000 , an average worker gets $45,000, but th egovernment is spending S200,000 dollars for each asylum seeker per annum.

And this figure is set to rise, no this is not Ripleys believe it or not.

That equates to treason?
Below is a link
www.news.com.au...

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Makes you wonder why we struggle to do the right thing in this country.
Its appalling. Do not know how it can sustain, nor how people can be happy .

Jobs are drying up, everything is going up, the government plays a numbers game and the sheep continue on there blind way.

vomit

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
The figures are a gross distortion of the truth. The 18 million you refer to also includes the administrative costs of the differing agencies dealing with processing of the immigrants. Now if you were to include the figures for the administration of payments via centrelink to pensioners or the health administration costs of administering much needed assistance to the mentally ill - then your figures would appear almost meaningless by comparison.

I agree with you that Australia has a major immigration problem - and needs to act to protect it's own - but it's an argument which will not be won by using grossly distorted figures with little understanding of what lies behind them.

I would also add that citizens of most countries who are entitled to medicare in Australia operate a reciprocal system. Any Australian who requires medical treatment in a country operating the reciprocal agreement will receive it free gratis.

Oz
edit on 22-7-2011 by Ozscot because: grammar

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I live in the US..no amount of wasting tax payer dollars surprises me.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Wow. I guess your Aussie politicos are getting as bad as here in the states. I thought those bold statements I heard from your Boss Lady a while back (regarding foreigners) meant she knew what she was doing.

My home state California is the worst. More people on welfare than any other state- by ALOT. It's sickening where we're heading.

Good luck on your side of the forest!

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Thanks Dr Expired,ive research about this seeming its to do with where i live.

I think its wrong that they spend that kind of taxpayers money on asylum seekers.
Someone in my family has worked at a detention centre and has told me that they are looked after there,it isnt first class but its more than good enough to accommodate asylum seekers.

I just cant believe whats going on,theres elderly people which are pensioners in Western Australia that cant even afford to have heating this cold winter.Its a resource state and yet everything is so expensive,something is wrong with Australia and needs to be dealt with.

Im just curious as to how it costs the detention centres $200,000 every year to look after these asylum seekers?!?
Why is it so expensive?

Cheers

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired
[mo

Hi,
I see these kind of talk's everyday .I honestly understand what you mean, but let's think about it being in the shoes of the refugee's.I am sure we would be grateful for what the government does.
We ,as a developed country must support them. just mt 2 cents

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Of the 17k quoted that's allocated to each individual, I would imagine that the bulk of that is actually going to the people who work dealing with their cases, the support workers, translators, counsellors etc. Just the way that it's presented in the press quite often they make out like it's some kind of free income for the individual, when most likely the individual will see very little of the actual money. Just my tuppenceworth.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ozscot

The fourteen thousand per head is paid directly to the Motels, in the detention centres the total contracts are for approx 1.4 billion dollars, the purpose of these detention centres is to protect the general population from possible war criminals and dangerous individuals who flee their nations .
Therefore it costs us the taxpayer approx 200,000 per sylum seeker individual per year.

There are approx eleven million taxpayers in Australia so that equates to approx $1000 per taxpayer.

It is irrelevant where the money goes to ,there will be a big profit margin for the private companies and all the backhanders possibly, but thats what it costs.

And I think its grossly incompetent and perhaps even fraudulent.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I want my $1000 back in my pocket thanks,these poor people that have the cash to pay people smugglers $10,000
each,real bloody poor eh?There's a lot of poor homeless people in Oz,why don't we look after our own before helping others,screw what the UN has to say,what the hell have they ever done for Australia

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SubjectHero

I agree mate and Iam not against Refugee settlement in Australia

There however are proper methods to achieve this.

There are still thousands of Palestinians living in squalor and fear, they are ignored , processing refugees in their own nation first or a transit nation would be infinitely cheaper.

After world war two there were millions of displaced and suffering people, not many queue jumped they were polite enough to realise you can't just turn up on a boat and virtually blackmail a nation into accepting you( via united nations dictates.

I would personally welcome long suffering Palestinians by the thousand as new aussies.
But not people who have no regards for our laws.
Some of these queue jumpers are not refugees , but simply opportunists wanting a better economic life, which is perfectly undrstandable and reasonable...its called emigration.

But no thats too reasonable for some , they know the Aussies are soft in the head(the university educated elite) they won't turn their boats arriving from Asia away.

There should be humanatarian intake of refugees , but for refugees not aggressive asylum seekers.

Just a foot note , tens of thousands of foreign citizens arrive seeking asylum after out stayiing their work or holiday visas, most of them are granted asylum thats how pathetic our border security is.
edit on 22-7-2011 by Dr Expired because: spelking

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I want my $1000 back in my pocket thanks,these poor people that have the cash to pay people smugglers $10,000 each,real bloody poor eh?There's a lot of poor homeless people in Oz,why don't we look after our own before helping others,screw what the UN has to say,what the hell have they ever done for Australia

I feel the same way Travlla,lets fix up the problems we have now before creating any more.I dont know why the government wants to keep on going about as if everything is all fine,because it isnt fine.
We have problems that need to be dealt with,yet they do not want to have a bar of it and would prefer to push a idiotic carbon tax and nation broadband system through than fixing existing problems,i mean what the hell are they doing!!

edit on 22-7-2011 by BillyBoBBizWorth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by BillyBoBBizWorth

I want my $1000 back in my pocket thanks,these poor people that have the cash to pay people smugglers $10,000 each,real bloody poor eh?There's a lot of poor homeless people in Oz,why don't we look after our own before helping others,screw what the UN has to say,what the hell have they ever done for Australia

I feel the same way Travlla,lets fix up the problems we have now before creating any more.I dont know why the government wants to keep on going about as if everything is all fine,because it isnt fine.
We have problems that need to be dealt with,yet they to not want to have a bar of it and would prefer to push a idiotic carbon tax and nation broadband system through than fixing existing problems,i mean what the hell are they doing!!

It's becoming a joke,why the hell this poor excuse for a government had to soften the refugee laws is beyond me,the previous government nearly had the boats stopped,we keep giving Indonesia foreign aid but they refuse to stop people smuggling boats leaving there port's,funny thing is i have never read in the refugee charter that it was about going to a country of their choice,it's about being safe,what risk's do these people face in Indonesia,how many safe country's did they travel through before they reach Oz? Safe but not giving out taxpayers cash like we do,it's a joke

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Travlla

I once caught a cab on the Gold coast Australia the driver was a very polite and educated young Indian driver, he had been driving cabs in Australia for over a year, I learned that a cab drivers salary whilst of very modest standard to Aussies living here, is a large amount of money when wired directly back to India.

This holds true for most of the countries economic refugees come from.

After a few years they can return to their homelands and live well.

Trouble is the unemployment benefit in Oz is also a means to achieving this aim, its only about $290 a week with rent assistance included , but that when wired back overseas is a lot of money , Iam not saying the asylum seekers don't want to work ...only either way they are coming to a better wicket.

The ultimate and real result of this is the devaluing of our dollar, and the decline of our living standard.

There is only a finite amount of money.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Dont get me wrong,im all for helping people that have it worse off than ourselves.
But wheres the priority of the governments responsibility?,your meant to look after you own people first,and then others.
Seeming the people of the country are the ones keeping the government even functioning in the first place.
Yet they would rather open the flood gates and make more stress on the system...

I dont like it how the cost of living keeps going up,taxes only seem to go up,everything keeps going up,nothing barely goes down.
People are over working and arent being paid anymore so this stupid system can keep running,whilst our government pushes for booms,growth and taxes us more.
Perth is the most expensive city in the world to live in,but we are a resource state? that alone tells me how bad our system must be.

Cheers

edit on 22-7-2011 by BillyBoBBizWorth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by BillyBoBBizWorth

The God is the Economy we exist to serve and nourish it.

Patriosm was invented so ownership of nations could be sustained by implicit support of tyrants by the "belonging peoples" now we are witnessing ourselves made redundant , as the economy demands more new money and energy to be injected into its veins via immigration.

Know your enemy and adapt. they will not rest until we are fearful of the other tribes, as it was tdecades ago...only now there is nowhere to run to except perhaps outer space.

No one owns this world , but commonsense would suggest we all need space between the creeds.

But history is always forgotten, who remembers pre christian beliefs?

The romans wiped out the believers.

And the monks sowed the seeds that covered memory.

We are the dead.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

The God is the Economy we exist to serve and nourish it. Patriosm was invented so ownership of nations could be sustained by implicit support of tyrants by the "belonging peoples" now we are witnessing ourselves made redundant , as the economy demands more new money and energy to be injected into its veins via immigration. Know your enemy and adapt. they will not rest until we are fearful of the other tribes, as it was tdecades ago...only now there is nowhere to run to except perhaps outer space. No one owns this world , but commonsense would suggest we all need space between the creeds. But history is always forgotten, who remembers pre christian beliefs? The romans wiped out the believers. And the monks sowed the seeds that covered memory. We are the dead.

Dr Expired, i agree with most of what you have said.
Until this stuff in this post.
I just dont know why you had to bring "god" and such into it when we were talking about Australia?

Cheers

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by BillyBoBBizWorth

Its concerning imperialism, most religions are imperialistic, most Aussies come from Anglo/celtic/saxon/scandanavian..greek/slavic background...our religions were erased by imperialistic invaders back in Europe.

Now history is repeating 230 years on from first settlement, this time a different religion but possible same outcome.

What most people are unaware of is Islam has spread from the middle east all across the world by mainly force.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
reply to post by Ozscot

The fourteen thousand per head is paid directly to the Motels, in the detention centres the total contracts are for approx 1.4 billion dollars, the purpose of these detention centres is to protect the general population from possible war criminals and dangerous individuals who flee their nations .
Therefore it costs us the taxpayer approx 200,000 per sylum seeker individual per year.

There are approx eleven million taxpayers in Australia so that equates to approx $1000 per taxpayer.

It is irrelevant where the money goes to ,there will be a big profit margin for the private companies and all the backhanders possibly, but thats what it costs.

And I think its grossly incompetent and perhaps even fraudulent.

Hmm to protect Australians from 'war criminals' and dangerous individuals you say? Given that this is your argument - if memory serves me correctly the last 'dangerous' individual deported from Oz last month (or it may have been two months ago) was from England and had been in Oz since he was 2 years old. So based on your 'protection' argument we should be processing the English precisely as you describe. Yes?

As for war criminals there are many from both the USA and the United Kingdom who are welcome guests of the Australian Govt in Canberra without the need to be held in a hostel, motel, internment camp or any other such structure - Tony Blair for example.

Why do you see non-whites as a threat and those from European nations differently? More so given this weeks biggest mass killer was whiter than white? But of course he would have sailed through immigration here in Oz wouldn't he?
'I'm from Norway' He would have said and presented his passport.
'Welcome to Australia Sir'

Meanwhile a young man missing an arm who sailed the sea to Oz in a rickety raft to escape the terror unfolding in his own nation is thrown in jail here for his trouble - something wrong there don't ya think?

Or should Australia just not let anyone in - for any reason?

Oz

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Its concerning imperialism, most religions are imperialistic, most Aussies come from Anglo/celtic/saxon/scandanavian..greek/slavic background...our religions were erased by imperialistic invaders back in Europe. Now history is repeating 230 years on from first settlement, this time a different religion but possible same outcome. What most people are unaware of is Islam has spread from the middle east all across the world by mainly force.

Ahh ok,fair enough.
Thanks for the reply,i actually agree with you too.

Cheers

top topics

<<   2 >>

join