It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My computer died starting a rebuild

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
My PC had a problem with the video card slot on the mother board. I was getting no signal on my moniter. Then the power supply went out. I decided to strip my ATX case to just the case the hard drives and CD drive. I want to do a full intel rebuild. I do allot of internet surfing and about 35 to 40 % of gaming. but mostily videos and web brousing. So I would like advice on parts made by intel that would be good for my computer usage. I wanted to do this anyway sence most of my old parts are 7 to 10 years old.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
New motherboard and make sure ya have at least 4gs of ram in her, if you're 40% into games, you'll probably be better off putting in the extra 30- 50$ for the most recent graphic card, and you'll probably want to make sure your sound card is good too. Just do it all right the first shot, and put in a little extra money so you won't be kicking yourself for it later.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Too bad you're limiting yourself to Intel. You'd save hundreds of dollars by building an AMD system. When Intel is compared to AMD, the comparable Intel CPU is only 5%-10% faster than an AMD CPU and costs hundreds of dollars more.

AMD gives you more bang for the buck. But, if money isn't an option and you want the absolute fastest PC you can get and have to use every ounce of power to do what you need to do, then Intel would probably be the logical choice (for hundreds of dollars more, of course).

edit on 22-7-2011 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Check out newegg.com They have all the parts you'd ever need. They have very fast shipping. I built my last computer from parts and most all of them came from there. Only bummer was my water-cooled heatsink wouldn't fit in the case!

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I've built several computers over the past few months and almost all of the parts have come from Newegg.com. My gaming computer and server are both completely built with parts from Newegg.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I will also throw my hat in the ring supporting newegg.com, I rarely buy from another vendor. If you are really sure you want to build an intel system, you should just be looking at there new socket 1155 "sandy bridge" cpus. The one I would recommend is the core i3 2100 currently priced around $125. Any motherboard by asus or gigabyte with a H61/H67 chipset will do you right, priced around $100. The intel branded motherboards are made by foxconn and are junk. A quality set of 2x 2gb ddr1333(4gb total) is really cheap right now, about $30-$40, i personally prefer kingston and think the hyperX line is worth a few dollars more. The video card is hard to recommend since I don't know the native resolution of your monitor and the games you like to play. To power this machine I only use seasonic power supplies, they can be had for around $40-$50 in the 350-400 watt range. That is one area not to skimp, a bad power supply can take the rest of your parts up in smoke with it. As another poster stated i think you would be better served with one of the new AMD apu, the llano based socket FM1. The reason I say this is that the A8-3850 for $140 already has a very good graphics core included on the processor which features a 2.9 ghz quad core. You could def save money this way as you wouldn't have to buy a separate video card. A gigabyte or asus with the A75 chipset is whats compatible with those cpus, selling for around $90. You will need faster ddr3 1600 memory for the amd system but it is about the same price as the slower memory used in the intel system, again I would recommend 2x 2gb(4gb total). A cheap alternative for motherboard brand is asrock, i've used them in more than one budget build for clients. Also the previously mentioned seasonic power supplies are great for the amd build too.
edit on 22-7-2011 by wiandiii because: for content

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I gave you a parts list 4 months ago cuz you said you were building a new one back then...what happened to that?? Want me to rework it since its been so long??

Silver

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Just got my computer fixed up. Turns out it needed a new motherboard and a new video card. I was having problems with my SATA hard drive that stored my operating system. So I had to get new of each. I am now running on an AMD 64 with an eletegroup motherboard. I swapped my SATA hard drive for an 80 gig data drive and am now running windows on that. It took me a week and a good amount of green to get the parts put it together and load the new windows CD. But well worth it. So I did allot of work bringing this computer back from the grave. I'm glad I got it to work again.
Thanks for your help and advice everyone.

top topics

join