It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 things your kids may never know about

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

I remeber being outside all the time. The rules for me was to do my homework when I got home from school and when I was done I could go outside. I never had to find people to play with becuase there were always kids out doin stuff. When mom stood outside and yelled dinner, all the kids went home. There was no staying in and playing video games all day unless it was bad weather out.

Today you need to schedule play dates for your kids, and pull them away from their computers or video games while they are kicking and screaming.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Today it seems that the only ones that will work are the illegal imigrants
Even the poor kids all have phones and internet and no job..

Thats the main thing thats been lost ..Work Ethics

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by enament
reply to post by lcbjr1979

My friends kid asked him "daddy whats an arcade?" We felt a little older that day.

I tried to explain it to my kids.....they just looked at me blankly like "Why the %^$& wiould you do that" than play with your Xbox or PC?. I tried showing them PONG and Mattel handheld Football, lets just say they think Dad must have been stupid when he was a kid.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I remember when I got my first handheld game. Used 8 AA batteries and only played one game- Space invaders. It was absolute magic to me. Now I am a TF2 addict... go figure!

PS: Anyone remember atari 2600, I still got mine !

Oh ya I almost forgot...
When we would play outside, each mother on the street had a different sounding bell. They would ring it when it was time to come in. A BELL !!!! We would all freeze and listen to see whose bell it was. Now... forget it.
edit on 1-8-2011 by R3KR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by R3KR

I was so addicted to my atari. Ka boom and pitfall were my games of choice.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Blowing the dust out of a NES cartridge in the hopes that it’ll load this time.

Turning a PlayStation on its end to try and get a game to load.

these two made me laugh, simply because i thought it was just me that did stupid stuff to try and make a game load.
open and close the lid on the playstation, spin the disc etc.

its funny how we think these things would work, even funnier that we all proberbly try them without sharing tips or consulting each other. its must be human nature, if it does not work, then shake it, tap it, tilt it, and swear at it!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Reply to post by lifeform11

We also licked the NES cartridges if blowing did not work.

If licking did not work, we would insert it so just a small portion of the edge of the cartridge stuck out of the inside edge of the slot, and force it down. If that failed, jiggle it around while repeatedly pressing the reset button.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Reply to post by R3KR

My family had a whistle. The adult would Whitley a certain tune, and we came running. Worked in the mall and other stores as well.

My kids now know it and come running when they hear it.

edit on 8/2/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
we used to play dungeon master on our computer and take turns mapping out the game on actual graph paper.

Dungeon Master and Populous 2... I actually found a DOS box version of Dungeon Master that will run on an XP system, brought back alot of memories, for it's time it was an amazing game and I spent alot of time on that one.
We were talking to someone a while back, young girl who was utterly horrified to find out that potatoes came out of the dirt, she said she won't be eating french fries anymore because of it
I worry about the next couple of generations, yeah all this technology is great, but if something ever happened to that grid, can you imagine the reprocussions? I'm all for embracing technology, but not at the expense of basic human know how.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Originally posted by enament
reply to post by lcbjr1979

My friends kid asked him "daddy whats an arcade?" We felt a little older that day.

I tried to explain it to my kids.....they just looked at me blankly like "Why the %^$& wiould you do that" than play with your Xbox or PC?. I tried showing them PONG and Mattel handheld Football, lets just say they think Dad must have been stupid when he was a kid.

Man I feel old I remember trying pong for the first time.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Ha-ha.

My mom always tell me how about everything used to cost a nickel.

"Son, I remember a pint of ice cream used to cost a nickel".

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
seems like our kids wont know much about freedom

its a crime bringing more kids into this planet, not before we clean this mess called civilization

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I noticed that shortwave radios were on the list. It's not as popular as it once was (I don't think...?) but it's certainly not dead yet. I mean hell, I just got a catalog from AES the other day with all sorts of shortwave and Ham radios in it.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sundowner
I noticed that shortwave radios were on the list. It's not as popular as it once was (I don't think...?) but it's certainly not dead yet. I mean hell, I just got a catalog from AES the other day with all sorts of shortwave and Ham radios in it.

Short Wave isnt dead yet I still use it to hear World news
Yet the younger generation does not know about it..Hey Granpa..is that FM ?

Dont think the POTB wants them to know either
Juist sit there and listen to the baby food news they allow you to hear

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
My absolute favorite toy was the Merlin. That was one of the first handheld electronic games.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DBCooper71
I remember my son asking me if the world was black and white when I was a kid.

I hope he wasn't in High School at the time.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
that article and all the comments have brought back memories.
the days of bulletin boards instead of the net. many of them only able to support one person at a time. also having to dial a phone number to get to them. games like trade wars 2000 (one i'd love to play again
). when computers had less memory than most watches do today. still have my old commodore 64 around somewhere. data tapes and disk flipping while playing video games. we programed in basic. joysticks were "optimized" by opening them up and bending the solid state contacts to give better response, as well as only having ONE fire button. my latest joystick has about 15 buttons and a secondary joystick (top hat), not to mention throttle bars, as for repair inside good luck with the circuit board.

and yeah all the kids outdoors playing until the lights turned on while parents were in the house without any real concern for our safety other then reminding us to look out for cars while riding our bikes all over town. now days i see few kids outside at all. and if they are outside a parent always nearby watching. we used to have most kids in the area playing games like tag or street hockey, all together. forts in the woodlots and creek areas that our parents didn't even know where they were. and how could i forget mom's call to get in for dinner, she'd just open the door and shout just like every other parent.

i remember a few years back when we dug out the old colico vision, my nephew's eyes almost popped out of his head. "that's a game?"

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join