It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Things i hate about ATS Posters

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
From wiki:

"Second line is a tradition in brass band parades in New Orleans, Louisiana. The "main line" is the main section of the parade, or the members of the actual club with the parading permit; those who follow the band just to enjoy the music are called the "second line." The second line's style of traditional dance, in which participants walk and sometimes twirl a parasol or handkerchief in the air, is called "second lining." It has been called "the quintessential New Orleans art form — a jazz funeral without a body."[1]"

I always thought that the "second line" was for us who post following the "main line" of the op. Enjoying their music.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
What really bothers me is that it says right at the top of the post creation page:

No 1-Liners: Please do not create minimal "me too," "I agree," or similar very-short replies. (Adding "second line" to short comments doesn't count.)

I mean it's right there staring you in the face while you're typing. Then we end up with really important threads filled with pages of "S&F" and "Second Line". Makes it difficult to find relevant info. Why can't the mods delete these pointless posts to keep things organized?
edit on 22-7-2011 by ZeroReady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady
What really bothers me is that it says right at the top of the post creation page:

No 1-Liners: Please do not create minimal "me too," "I agree," or similar very-short replies. (Adding "second line" to short comments doesn't count.)

I mean it's right there staring you in the face while you're typing. Then we end up with really important threads filled with pages of "S&F" and "Second Line". Makes it difficult to find relevant info. Why can't the mods delete these pointless posts to keep things organized?
edit on 22-7-2011 by ZeroReady because: (no reason given)

thats because people will cry ats censorship and make threads accursing the mods of being on a conspiracy ..

We need age limit on ATS

and we need to find a way to slap kids through the internet

what they should do is delete the posts then have the reason why they deleted it .. .not just say violation .. but explain the violation so other members can agree

i think we need a veto button on posts so if members don't feel a certain post belongs on a thread .. they can veto the post .. then after a certain number of vetos a mod can come and remove it ...

also an unveto button for members who think the post was vetod but was not justified so its fair

everyone wins

idiots post more then one liners and second line

and they learn a lesson on there next post

my two cents

p.s.... how about shock thearpy keyboards perhaps we can shock some members
???

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

Shouldn't you be taking Midol ?

Second Line

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Dont really think people posting ..I agree or S&F or blurb whatever read the line that says make every post matter

Star and flag if I like what you have written ..its kind of like an applause meter

Follow the rules

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

What the hell is up with "Second Line." I don't even know what that means. Is it the second line of what they quoted? Is it so they get two lines? I don't think i've ever posted a one liner post in ATS, i know its against the rules so do posts with 1 liners get deleted? Is the the point of the "Second Line?" If that's so then why the hell would you even post, obviously whatever you are saying has no contribution the the thread, unless i guess its an answer to a question someone asked.

Oddly enough, one-liners are fine, as long as that one line contributes something to the discussion. Adding "second line" is meaningless if your first line doesn't contribute. If anything, you are MORE likely to get slapped with a one-liner warning. We've stated this repeatedly, but it's like an urban myth or something....

Also S+F! Whats up with that. Do people expect to get goodies by stating they Stared and Flagged something? Why do people need to state "Oh yeah i stared and Flagged you bro, give me a cookie.

People want the poster to know they liked their post. That's all.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

The way I see it this is just an admission of guilt by the member as in "Yeah, I know I made a crappy short post so....'second line'"

I suspect that the 'second line' is often added for dramatic effect - to bring attention to the posters superbly amusing or profound one-liner.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Star

The way I see it this is just an admission of guilt by the member as in "Yeah, I know I made a crappy short post so....'second line'"

I suspect that the 'second line' is often added for dramatic effect - to bring attention to the posters superbly amusing or profound one-liner.

How did you know that's the reason I use it?

Second....

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
i forgot the question.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
That herp/derp mentality gets old very quick where people just chime in to say nothing of value.
I suppose with an open forum, you will see all points on the intelligence scale, and also see many who don't wish to follow any type of posting structure, so we need to acknowledge that.

But

Second line is sheer laziness and does need a hand slap to remind the poster to spend a few moments thinking about a response before just chucking some lame emoticon followed by 'second line' for a post.

Complaining wont change human nature, so I try not to complain too much nor let the internet bother me.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

Because some threads deserve stars and flags.....especially those that have done alot of homework.

Originally posted by Gazrok

Also S+F! Whats up with that. .....

People want the poster to know they liked their post. That's all.

Isn't that defeating the purpose? I thought that part of the reasoning behind the 'Star & Flag System' was to reduce and/or eliminate the worthless posts that say:

• "Right on!! I agree"
  • "That's amazing"
  • "Good job!"
  • "Nice Find"
  • "Thanks for sharing"
  • "blah, blah, blah"

If you agree with the topic in the OP, then you flag it.
    If you agree with a post, then you star it.

If you have already done those things, there is absolutely no sensible reason to say
    " S&F
    "

2nd line is informative. When translated, it means:
    "I am too ignorant to realize that repeating this nonsense actually does nothing at all, other than showing others that I am an idiot."

• posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 06:56 AM
    link   
    reply to post by BrokenCircles

Every now and then posters will make threads with a lot of information. So much that it is less of a discussion than it is a book or long article to read.

*Such as: a RisingAgainst Thread.

RA's threads are always a good read. Posting "S&F" on something like that just ensures more people will see it. Or will subscribe you to it to keep an eye on it, should you not have had the time to read through it all the first time you saw it.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 07:41 AM
    link   

Originally posted by boncho
    Posting "S&F" on something like that just ensures more people will see it.

I disagree even more-so with threads like you're referring to. If you want others to read it, then flag it. If enough people want others to read it, then the more flags it receives, and the easier it will be for others to find.

"S&F!! Good Find!! thanks for sharing!!" adds absolutely nothing to the thread, aside from wasted space.

Originally posted by boncho

Or will subscribe you to it to keep an eye on it, should you not have had the time to read through it all the first time you saw it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/04580b4289c1.png[/atsimg]
    _____________________________Click here ↑↑

edit on 7/23/11 by BrokenCircles because: these ↑↑, this way →→

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:13 AM
    link   
    reply to post by BrokenCircles

Fair enough. You have a good argument there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join