It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISS photo of Space Shuttle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
What is different about this photo to other photos/footage previously taken from the ISS?

www.nasa.gov...

Can you spot the mistake?

edit on 22-7-2011 by eyespying because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by eyespying

Can you post some others to compare to. There is a lot of footage so Im not sure what you are getting at.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

It is for you too find.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Please can you delete this thread as it is a duplication of another.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I'd say motion. The Shuttle is moving through quite a long distance. In order to catch such an image a long or timed exposure would typically be used. In this case since it's taken from the ISS both camera and subject are moving at great speed. The Earth and sky should show that movement but they do not. The path of the Shuttle should also show movement since the perspective the ISS is taking the picture from changes as it orbits.

They may have used a computer composite to get the image of the Shuttle and superimposed a still of the Earth for perspective and backdrop.
edit on 22-7-2011 by LazyGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by eyespying

There isn't one. ISS was over the pacific at the same time the shuttle was starting to re-enter over the pacific. They had line of sight to the shuttle's re-entry trail and shot it with a long exposure, revealing stars. Moonlight from the moon which was out of the field of view illuminated the earth below.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
All I know is just before the shuttle landed we should have all dressed up in ape costumes.

As for the photo? I see nothing wrong. Maybe you should point something out?

peace

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazyGuy
I'd say motion. The Shuttle is moving through quite a long distance.

Most of the shuttle's trail was formed before the exposure started, which is why the bright part of the streak is only at the front. The shuttle's re-entry trail is known to persist for a while after it is formed (just like in this image). Here's an account of a shuttle re-entry trail seen by amateur astronomer Paul Maley

An orange rocket-like plume immediately began to form above the southwest horizon and, with a stellar glow at its head, started a low angular climb toward the east. Instead of dissipating right away, the orange changed to yellow and persisted in place as the orbiter crossed the Texas coast like a rapidly moving comet.

www.eclipsetours.com...

In order to catch such an image a long or timed exposure would typically be used. In this case since it's taken from the ISS both camera and subject are moving at great speed. The Earth and sky should show that movement but they do not.

Actually, they do. The earth is showing signs of motion blur. Not much, but enough to indicate an exposure at least a few seconds long.

The path of the Shuttle should also show movement since the perspective the ISS is taking the picture from changes as it orbits.

ISS and the shuttle follow the same general direction of travel after undocking. In order to return to the cape, ISS's orbital plane must pass close to it at the time they wish to land. The shuttle cannot drastically change its orbital plane, so it continues to share the same orbital plane even after leaving the station.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Notice how clear and pretty the stars are in the background in this pretty color foto, thats kind of rare in offical NASA stuff.

Well anyway, its cool to see how it looks from ISS point of view, when USA come and crash the party

They should release the video of this instead of a foto, but my guess would be it will never happen. to many strange things flying around up there, and to much work airbrushing in photoshop.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by eyespying
What is different about this photo to other photos/footage previously taken from the ISS?

edit on 22-7-2011 by eyespying because: (no reason given)

If you are implying seeing stars is a mistake it is not, like stated above, a longer exposure on the night side of the earth allowed the stars to be imaged. There are many Shuttle and ISS photos with stars in the sky.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Notice how it is at first a bit difficult to wrap your head around the perspective of the Shuttle's trajectory.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Here is the picture:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b1386d61181a.jpg[/atsimg]

I believe that the kink you see in the plume just before the trail turns red is due the first ess-turn maneuver. I'm having a hack of time trying to find the minute-by-minute details of de-orbit burn to landing although I know I have it somewhere.

Also, I was trying to find the speed differential from before the burn and after. If I recall, I read that the burn slows the shuttle only about 200 miles per hour, which seems amazingly slight. Anyone have that data?

edit on 22-7-2011 by Frira because: fussing with image!

edit on 22-7-2011 by Frira because: no change, my mistake.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by athenegoddess

This might help.

After turning right side up and backwards, the Shuttle main engines burn for 12 minutes to slow the spacecraft 200 mph before it turns forward and pitch at a 40º angle for reentry that will span 25 minutes. They will expend all remaining fuel as a safety precaution because this area encounters the highest heat of re-entry.

new topics

top topics

join