It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we work internationally on terraforming mars or internationally work on wars?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
www.thinq.co.uk...

Should'nt we be working as a "international order" on this rather than wars....

With nanotechnology protecting us from germs we are not use too.

Instead we get this...
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Are aliens keeping us here as their entertainment?

If so, *Puts on his Jester suite AGAIN!* Some one got's to keep them in line!
edit on 22-7-2011 by SurrealEzen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Don't know about aliens, but I do believe we should dedicate more research into terraforming instead of meaningless wars.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I doubled on mars.
edit on 22-7-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I vote on international work to explore and eventually terraform Mars. However, I also believe that not all countries would be willing to focus their resources on that project. We'd need to maintain a strong deterrence to prevent those detractors from attacking us while we're focused on more important things.

The catch is, we'll need generations to understand how to teach people to prefer peace but still remain capable of war or defending themselves. And once we figure out how to accomplish that, we'll need generations to apply it to the majority of the population.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

Signed.
Before you start to terraform anywhere you might want to make sure your not destoying some other "colony/branch of life" nomatter how simple or complicated it might be.

Add other scientifical research to the list. Modern physics opening alot of doors at moment. Some of the things we study today like the nuclear buildingblocks in CERN and our increased understanding in the Genome. These could be a key to open some of the more interesting doors involving spacetravel.

And to add a bit more to the "humanityaspect" in you'r post. We should make a big effort to find "free" renewable nonepoluting energy on earth. When/if thats acchieved you got "free" power to support huge growhouses in countries where food is a problem. This power might come from Geothermical powerplants, improved solarpanels (maybe nanocells as cover on houses?), cold fusion? (again nanotechnology seams to be the key). You could probably find other potential powersources.
Energy, food and water would give people hope and might help eradicate religions (dreamthinking).....but its a road to a more peacefull world where theres less to fight for.
Whats the point of moveing to mars if we dont know how to live on earth?
edit on 22-7-2011 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I don't believe we should do anything "internationally". It will 1) Result in the US taxpayer shouldering even more of the world's burdens, and 2) require a one world government which I oppose anyway.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Leave Mars as it is, are not Humans greedy enough as it is??

What if "Someone Else" decides that the Earth would be a nice place to terraform to their own liking, How would humans feels about that??

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
we should first come up with a solution to the biggest problem. while there is millions of sound ideas of how and why to terraform mars, they would all be for naught. first we need to figure out how to get the core going, and that is something, if even possible, countless thousands if not millions of years out of grasp.

secondly, our civilization would have to be far removed from the financial system we use now, its a major progress barrier. for if we tried this now, it would cripple the world's economy many times over. in a different class of civilizations free of monetary ties, we would be limited only by the most finite resources.

and lastly, by the time we reach the ability to handle these issues, we will probably be more then capable of seeking better solutions then "mars".

good thread though. and it seems crazy to me seeing sam neil taking about whats best for our interest regarding space after seeing event horizon.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Reply to post by gort51

Earth has life, Mars does not.

That's not really a valid argument.

*Edit*
Forgot to add that I'm looking forward to triple breasted martian women too.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 22-7-2011 by Goathief because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

Its Life Goathief...But not as we know it!!

You've brought up a good point tho,....make that 3 good points....... (Believe it or not, the "Theys" (Hollyweird) are doing a Remake of "Total Recall"...Now thats offensive....Whats next Conan the Barbarian??.....Oh actually yes...

link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
we should first come up with a solution to the biggest problem. while there is millions of sound ideas of how and why to terraform mars, they would all be for naught. first we need to figure out how to get the core going, and that is something, if even possible, countless thousands if not millions of years out of grasp.

secondly, our civilization would have to be far removed from the financial system we use now, its a major progress barrier. for if we tried this now, it would cripple the world's economy many times over. in a different class of civilizations free of monetary ties, we would be limited only by the most finite resources.

and lastly, by the time we reach the ability to handle these issues, we will probably be more then capable of seeking better solutions then "mars".

good thread though. and it seems crazy to me seeing sam neil taking about whats best for our interest regarding space after seeing event horizon.

Why not have a space station on mars?

link   
We should fix our own planet before wreaking another one.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Don't be a terrorist.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SurrealEzen

I would love that to no end!! even massive enough station to house lots of folks. I really had hoped when I was younger we would be closer to that by now. we might have no choice sooner rather then later. the vid refers to the sun heating up putting us past (or within actually) the goldilocks zone, but there is a bunch of other things that could screw us to. we really take for granted our utopian situation.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Who the hell is Adam Shadowchild?

Back on topic. Terraforming is a very complex and intricate operation. In fact, I am not even sure that we have the ability to undertake such a task. Would we do it be introducing microbes and plant life that would slowly transform the environment or build a huge processing plant as in Aliens?

The very concept is mind boggling. Plus, native species. Have we the right if the planet is already inhabited?
Do we know for sure that mars is totally devoid of life?
edit on 22/7/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by gort51

Its Life Goathief...But not as we know it!!

You've brought up a good point tho,....make that 3 good points....... (Believe it or not, the "Theys" (Hollyweird) are doing a Remake of "Total Recall"...Now thats offensive....Whats next Conan the Barbarian??.....Oh actually yes...

ROFL.... Shh, father. lol

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

I'm Against Mars conquests

the terraforming is just a gussied up phrase instead of using the real word Exploitation of Mars

Yes the MIC along with the money-changers, corporate-fascists all need to be reigned in and regulated to high heaven

BTW: video.answers.com...

an appropos video which addresses both the Space and Aggression factors brought up in the thread,
if i recall it's 6:01 long
edit on 22-7-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

We could send a bunch of the earth creatures "water bears" there. They could do the work for us.

In some centuries mars could be restored, naturally. A rich and inviting planet for our descendants. A new chance for the future of man.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
lets go and rape and defile another planet, discard our waste of effort on earth and attack a virgin planet.

can not believe how stupid people are really.

Lets establish life on mars....

we left mars because we messed that up why would we go back?

or just nuke everyone on earth, that would be a good show.

people have not taken their meds, have they.....

edit: what is the matter with our planet anyway. If we get rid of the scum, it still a very beautiful place.

Shakes head, in disbelief at the crap people think[
edit on 22-7-2011 by guessing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by guessing
lets go and rape and defile another planet, discard our waste of effort on earth and attack a virgin planet.

sound like humans at their best.

lets go...

or just nuke everyone on earth, that would be a good show.

people have not taken their meds, have they.....

I take ALL MY MEDS! They make me creative! hehe

It's really too bad I posted internet 2 on GLP. It would make for a interesting discusion on this classy forum!

Anyways whats so wrong with images.wikia.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join