It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now the sea turtles are dying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Mysterious illness killing off sea turtles
www.abc.net.au...

"They've lived on this earth for so long, they're such old creatures and here the poor things are being killed off."

Australia ,My home .I always felt their was something about this country that made it feel immune to world problems
Now the Earth's sickness is here ,Not just this, which can be probably be explained away as plastic bags or some other digestible answer but The fish kill in in the Cape York area last week. along with all the other reports from around the globe.

Not good ,
edit on 21-7-2011 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Dear 12voltz,

I happen to really like turtles and even owned one, they are amazing creatures. In reading the linked article I was amazed to read that unnamed "experts" think years of extreme weather is killing the sea turtles off, it is one of the most stupid things I have ever read in my life. Sea turtles have survived ice ages and many periods of extreme climate change, changes more extreme that we have seen in our lifetimes. The writer doesn't quote any experts, who are these people and how does the writer know what the experts think. Good post on your part so that we can know what is happening; but, really bad writing by the person you linked to. Be well.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
No, it certainly is not good.

FNQ has copped a flogging recently and to be honest dying turtles and dugong don't come as too much of a surprise. On it's own the cane farming along the coast is more than enough to destroy the inner and outer reefs as well as the sea grass beds. I would recommend researching Flood Plumes while giving significant regard to herbicides & pesticides etc.

The sea grass beds themselves are very fragile and frequently sea grass can be seen washed up on the beaches after a big south east blow or storm for that matter. Cyclone Yasi, IMHO, would have decimated these areas. I wasn't there at the time, however I was there two days after and I can tell you Cardwell looked like it had been nuked. To give you an idea of the land based damage, a friend of mine lives 2km from the Bruce Highway. There was solid rain forest between him and the highway, you couldn't walk through 10m of it let alone see through it. When he got out of his house after Yasi had passed the next morning, he could see the highway. On the water the storm surge washed my boat (20 tonne of steel) onto a vacant block of land in Hinchinbrook Marina, I'd be surprised if there was any sea grass left.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Very sad. I lived in Hawaii for a year and swam in the reef's with the sea turtles every chance I could. They are very special animals.

I really hope these deaths are isolated to your part of the world, and that it reverses itself soon.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Just throwing this in here - is it possible that the Earth's changing magnetic field could play a part?

Dead and dying turtles washing up on shore is becoming a regular sight for Barbara Gibbs, who lives on Magnetic Island off the coast of Townsville.

Why it is called "Magnetic Island"...

The name of the island came about because of the apparent "magnetic" effect it had on the ship's compass of Captain Cook as he passed the island when sailing up the east coast of Australia in 1770.

Wiki

Since it there is apparently a magnetic abnormality in that area already, could it be getting worse?

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Wait, so you CAN'T dump billions of gallons of oil, tons of toxic corexit and tons of radioactive water into the ocean without consequences? Never would have guessed.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Why can't flies or rats go extinct instead.

All the bad critters seem to survive through anything.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Yea.. They are dying for all kinds of reasons. I got back from Maui a couple months ago. When I was there I wondered about the lack of plastic bags. They outlawed plastic bags because the turtles were mistaking them for jellyfish or something. So I could only get paper bags

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Why can't flies or rats go extinct instead.

All the bad critters seem to survive through anything.

Hey now, I happen to love rats. They are very intelligent and make great pets. I also happen to love turtles as well, and have 3 turtles as pets. This is very sad.

top topics

join