page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+18 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Tewksbury Native: I've Cracked The Code Of The Zodiac Killer

tewksbury.patch.com

To most, the word “Zodiac” conjures up images of astrological symbols and the positions of stars. Corey Starliper, a Tewksbury native and hobby code-cracker, thinks of a serial killer of the same name.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The Zodiac Killer : Cracking The Codes of A Madman.
Zodiac ciphers - Really unbreakable?
edit on 7/22/2011 by Mirthful Me because: Title.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
This is an interesting read. An amateur code cracker has allegedly cracked the "340 cipher" associated with the famous Zodiac murders in California during the 60's & 70's. From decoding the cipher using his technique the letter states that the prime suspect Arthur Leigh Allen was in fact the killer. The cracker has attempted to contact police but has so far been unsuccessful. Here is the decoded portion:

KILL/SLF/DR/HELP/ME/KILL/MYSELF/GAS/CHAMBER

/AEIOUR/DAYS/QUESTIONSABLE/EVERYY/WAKING

/MOMENT/IM/ALIVE/MY/PRIDE/LOST/I/CANT/GO

/ON/LIVING/IN/THIS/WAY/KILLING/PEOPLE/I/HAV/KILLD

/SO/MANY/PEOPLE/CANT/HELP/MYSELF/IM/SO/ANGRY

/I/COULD/DO/MY/THING/IM/ALONE/IN/THIS/WORLD

/MY/WHOLE/LIFE/FUL/O/LIES/IM/UNABLE/TO/STOP

/BY/THE/TIME/YOU/SOLVE/THIS/I/WILL/HAV/KILLD

/ELEVEN/PEOPLE/PLEASE/HELP/ME/STOP/KILLING/PEOPLE

/PLEASE/MY/NAME/IS/LEIGH/ALLEN/

Zodiac Killer

340 Cipher

brill

tewksbury.patch.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-7-2011 by brill because: (no reason given)
edit on 7/22/2011 by Mirthful Me because: EX Tags.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

My problem with the proposed answer is that Arthur Leigh Allen was absolutely not the zodiac killer and his DNA proved it wasn't him. Arthur Leigh Allen was not a nice person by any standard; but, he also was not the Zodiac killer. If the investigators verify the code and if it does indeed refer to Mr. Allen then that would raise separate questions as it would indicate that Zodiac was attempting to blame Mr. Allen and knew that he was a suspect. Few people knew that Mr. Allen was a suspect when the 340 cypher was sent.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Wow. If this is true, it is huge. I love how even after he figured it out, people said it was fake and even the SF Enquirer didn't seem interested. I read a book about the Zodiac about 20 years ago and wondered if anyone would ever crack it - looks like someone did and no one cares...amazing - thanks for the post!

CJ

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Nice find... Star and Flag...

Ive followd this for quite some time and have tried my hand at cracking it..

Hopefully this pans out and is confirmed. Would go a looong way to helping families find some closure.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by brill

My problem with the proposed answer is that Arthur Leigh Allen was absolutely not the zodiac killer and his DNA proved it wasn't him. Arthur Leigh Allen was not a nice person by any standard; but, he also was not the Zodiac killer. If the investigators verify the code and if it does indeed refer to Mr. Allen then that would raise separate questions as it would indicate that Zodiac was attempting to blame Mr. Allen and knew that he was a suspect. Few people knew that Mr. Allen was a suspect when the 340 cypher was sent.

That's a good point, however, wasn't the DNA lifted off the stamps ? Who's to say that Allen, or the killer for that matter, put the stamps on them self ? I'm reaching but there are so many facts with this case. Anything is possible and your right again in that Allen could be a patsy. There was also the hand writing but he was ambidextrous too.

brill
edit on 21-7-2011 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

I was under the impression the DNA comparison was not valid because of how little DNA waspresent from the letter. I also thought the sample had been compromised over the years.

I do know the guy who survived the Lake Berryessa incident later on in life did positively identify Arthur Leigh Allen as the person who attacked them.

Also, during the investigation ALA was stopped on his way home on the day of the Lake Berryessa incident. He had a bloody knife in the car that he passed off as killing chickens for friends later on that day. His travels took him near Lake Berryessa, and the friends he was suposedly going to vists said he never showed up.

To me there is enough inconsistencies with his story to put him at the top of the list. Also when they executed the search warrant, they only searched his trailer. They failed to search his parents house, where he lived after the kiddy didler incident. He resied their during most of the killings, only moving out towards the end of the spree.

Either or... Still an intresting story.

Edit to add - I know the T and C doesnt like promotion of other websites, however I hope they overlook this one.

Zodiac Killer

Great site with a dedicated group of people who have been following this pretty much since the begining. Great site for those who want some more indepth info. They also have a section that lists the top suspects, as well as a section that has all of the cyphers / letters the Zodiac sent in (including the solved and unsolved ones).
edit on 21-7-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Dear brill,

Yes it has been suggested that maybe he used someone else to lick the stamps; but, there was no need for him to do that and it would have meant that someone else saw the letter. There was no dna testing of saliva when Zodiac was around so he had no reason to have someone else lick the stamps. If we assume that he thought he could be tracked by his saliva then the answer would have been to use tap water rather than anyone as their dna could lead to them and then back to him.

Absolutely no evidence has ever come forward that could remotely find Mr. Allen guilty and he has been many peoples favorite suspect for decades. So much time has been wasted on Mr. Allen that other more likely suspects have not had the attention that they deserve. I would love to see the killer identified; but, I have never believed that it was Allen.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
This is very interesting as there are links to the zodiac killer living in B.C. Canada.
very, very dark scary story told by the mother of abused child.

zodiackillernorth.blogspot.com...

Covered here on ATS

www.abovetopsecret.com...

brice

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I don't know, I still to this day believe there was no Zodiac Killer and the police dept blamed common crimes on a made up figure so they would get funded. This was a bad time for San Francisco and the surrounding areas. The race riots, police corruption, etc. The dept was probably going to be cut off from funding so they created a serial killer to scare the populace. It has been done before.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by brice

Dear brice,

I read the links you provided and in her thread the writer even said that she was not sure it was Zodiac. I see the author as a woman whose child was severely injured trying to look at any possible connections to anyone, I wish her luck on her search; however, the things that were done to her daughter do not resemble actions by Zodiac. Zodiac was a killer and there is no evidence that he ever raped or tortured anyone. Other people have come forward saying they were related to the Zodiac killer and none of it has ever proven out. Zodiac would have been more like the Kansas killer BTK, to have remain uncaught for so long implies that he appeared normal and would never have done anything to make himself a suspect.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
I know the T and C doesnt like promotion of other websites, however I hope they overlook this one.

...not sure where you got that idea cuz ats is literally littered with links to other websites...

...i went to the one you posted:
Zodiac Killer

...i was looking for a mostly solved cipher that i remember... seems like it was done by a husband and wife... what i recall is kind of sketchy but i think it was addresses and, maybe, latitudes and longitudes...

...does that ring any bells with anyone?...

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by J.Son79
I don't know, I still to this day believe there was no Zodiac Killer and the police dept blamed common crimes on a made up figure so they would get funded. This was a bad time for San Francisco and the surrounding areas. The race riots, police corruption, etc. The dept was probably going to be cut off from funding so they created a serial killer to scare the populace. It has been done before.

DearJ.Son79,

Have you considered the fact that the first believed killing was in Riverside County and nowhere near San Francisco, that the second and third killings were in Solano County not San Francisco which is both a county and city. The next killing was also in Vallejo not San Francisco. The only confirmed killing of someone in San Francisco was of Paul Stine and that is the last confirmed Zodiac victim. To blame the San Francisco police department of creating Zodiac in order to get funding seems highly unfair if you have nothing other than pure supposition.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Dear Xcathdra,

There was sufficient DNA to prove that it did not come from Allen, it just took a number of years before the technology existed. Yes, Allen was a creepy guy and inconsistent. To say that possible evidence could have been in other places than where he was living is fine; but, it is still no proof that there was any evidence anywhere. I have visited the website you mentioned many times over the years, the owner also had a site on BTK, the owner was always a believer that Allen was guilty and after all the years he has investigated the case and had access to evidence that most have not, he still hasn't been able to prove that Allen was guilty (glad he has kept the case alive though and a good site).

I absolutely believe that one day we will know who Zodiac was. At least one of his relatives will have a DNA swab someday and bells will ring in the databases showing a near match. It isn't going to be Allen. In 1986 a wonderful and beautiful young mother named Vicki Wegerle was killed and her husband remained a suspect until 2005 when BTK was finally caught. Her poor husband was a suspect for almost 30 years and was absolutely innocent. The insistence on making him a suspect was because the police didn't believe she was killed by BTK because they didn't get a letter at the time. If they would have removed their bias then they would have linked the evidence together much earlier.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

True, there were surrounding areas as stated in my first post. Doesn't mean this was still not a matter of funding and scaring the populace. Just go back and forget about there ever being one specific killer and review each murder. It doesn't sound like the work of the same person each time. I think it was something to do with scaring the populace and getting funding for the surrounding police depts.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by J.Son79

Dear J.Son79,

Again I absolutely disagree. The letters often contained information and items. The letters were all by the same person (there were also fake letters by other people, later proven fake). The letters claimed responsibility and proved that the murders were in fact connected. Some of the detectives that worked that case continued working even after they retired. Why would they do that for no money if they knew it was all a lie? It just doesn't hold water.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

It does.. The lat and Long was never in the movie, however the guy who wrote the book the movie is based on came up with that.

He discovered killings in San Francisco were in line with the zodiac calendar if I rmeber right. Some of the killings, I think, were done on astroligcal highpoint days.

The cab driver was the catalyist for that theory... I dont think investigators ever did anything with that info.

The solved Cypher is listed on that site. It was solved by a husband and wife. The cypher zodiac used on that one was tiny compared to the 340 one. They were able to deciphr by looking for letters/symbols next to each other (in their case they used LL assuming the zodiac used the word killed or killer).

Once they got that they were able to decipher some more words and finally finiished it.

Is the first cypher sent, was in 3 parts, one part was sent to each of the 3 media outlets in SF at the time.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

* - A correction on my part -
Actually I might be misaken about Lake Berryessa. I think the survivor was the guy who was shot with his gf in the car.

ALA always kept coming back as a suspect because of the Lake Berryessa identification by the survivor in addition to the way words were mispelled in the zodiac letters. Those 2 parts of the movie actually occured and were not creative license additions.

According to the reports he was never shown a lineup of photos. He was he one who identified ALA from a photo lineup sometime in the 1980's.

The fingerprint that was recovered from the taxi cab killing did not match ALA.
As far as the DNA -

In 2002, SFPD developed a partial DNA profile from the saliva on stamps and envelopes of Zodiac's letters. SFPD compared this partial DNA to the DNA of Vallejo Police Department's lead suspect, Arthur Leigh Allen. A DNA comparison was also made with Don Cheney's DNA, who was Allen's former close friend and the first person to suggest Allen may be the Zodiac Killer. Since neither test result indicated a match, Allen and Cheney were excluded as the contributors of the DNA, though it cannot be stated definitively that it is DNA from the Zodiac on the envelopes.[72][73]Additionally in 2002, a partial palm print (called "Writer's Palm") was lifted from "The Exorcist" letter and then compared to a palm print of Allen's. Again, test results showed the palm prints did not match.[73] Even though DNA samples taken from the letters sent by the Zodiac ruled out Allen as the person who handled them, neither the Vallejo nor the San Francisco Police Departments have ruled out Allen as a suspect.[74]

I also forgot about the guy in 2007 who came forward and said his step father was zodiac. When the step father died, the house as being cleaned out. In the basement his son located a box of sometype that contained a black cloak with the zodiac sign (Lake Berryessa killings) along with a large knife that appeared to have either rust or blood on it.

Those items were turned over to the FBI for analysis, with the results being inconclusive.

This was the newest photo to surface -

This is the sketch artist depiction of Zodiac -

This is one of the cyphers -

edit on 22-7-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
What ever came about

Dr. George Hill Hodel? i read the book released, yet didn't hear much about it

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Dear Xcathdra,

I know why Allen is such a popular candidate. Still, he didn't match the DNA, he didn't match the fingerprint and no real evidence has ever connected him to the crimes. As for the girl who accused her father or step father and the man who accused his step father, neither was found credible by the FBI and their stories are very shaky. My personal belief is that the killer was in the Navy. There was a Navy center near the first killings and Zodiac escaped through the Presidio in San Francisco, he also showed knowledge of naval things and of police tactics (has to do with his use of the flashlight to target his shots). I am interested in looking at people who were in the Navy at the time and more specifically were Military Police.

As a side note, Zodiac claimed that he used a 9mm Luger; but, that was discounted because he fire more rounds that a standard Luger could without reloading. What the police missed was that the Nazi's had a special clip for the Luger that was used during World War II and allowed for many more rounds which would also imply a military background.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join