It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billionaire sheikh carves his name in desert so big it can be seen from SPACE

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Yes, you are important enough to carve your name into the planet just for the sake of being able to see it for space. Let's tear a bunch of land up and trash the environment just to see whose proverbial stick is bigger.

Workmen scoured "HAMAD" into the sand on the orders of Abu Dhabi's Sheikh Hamad Bin Hamdan Al Nahyan.

The name is two miles across — with letters a kilometre high. It is so huge that the "H", the first "A" and part of the "M" have been made into waterways.

The mega-rich sheikh, 63 — a member of the ruling family of Abu Dhabi — in the oil-rich United Arab Emirates — boasts a £14billion fortune that is second only to the Saudi king's.

His fleet of more than 200 cars — including seven Mercedes 500 SELs painted in different colours of the rainbow — is housed in a custom-built pyramid.

His name is etched on to an island he owns called Al Futaisi.

(Cl ick here to read the article)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Just the other day I was saying, it is a shame we, modern man, have not made a monument to the scale of the ancients. It is too bad that when it is finally done it is out of the ego of one man.
edit on 21-7-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
That's pretty cool.wish ihad all that money. I would rule the world with a iron fist.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
This must have been done out of his realization that, with all his money, he is still going to die as everyone else...this grand display of his name is simply a tombstone inscription for all intents and purposes.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
ego's its an epidemic...

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Eheh... The guy used the latin alphabet ; probably an homage to the romanesque purveyors of his undue fortune...

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I keep thinking.... what a waste of time and money....why not use that money to help feed the hungry. Who knows?...maybe he does that too,,,but I still think it is a waste of money.

link   
Glad his name wasn't Dick Johnson.

I think I would put my phone number.

This is ego on a grand scale.

link   
I'd say he's compensating for something that he wasn't given at birth....

This is his way of making up for it.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I wonder how long before this is updated on Google Earth.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
While I do not know how long something like this will last, it would be fun to be around hundreds of years from now, and listen to people try to figure out what it means. I wonder if they will know that it just a very wealthy person with a huge ego, or will they think it has some significant meaning, or is some kind of clue to the secret of the ancients.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Masturbatory.

That is all that is. I guess he is too old for the coming procedures that will assist my generation to live forever. Ha, I pity him.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
He's going to leave this place kicking and screaming. He obviously has identity issues.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
you go to the beach and write your name in the sand it's o.k., you buy your own private island and write it in 1 km letters and its not o.k.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
That's when you've got waaaaay too much time and money on your hands.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Apparently this man loves to spend money. He owns the island on which his name is written, but it was passed down from father to son. Source: news.yahoo.com...

He had a rather large pyramid built in order to house his car collection of over 200 cars and trucks.(it is open to the public free of charge) Source: www.enam.ae...

He had the worlds largest truck built(and it runs) that weighs over 50 tonnes and has 4 bedrooms in the cab. Source:www.arabianbusiness.com...

He also purchased 7 Mercedes 500 SEL each painted a color of the rainbow with matching interiors and gun racks that hold M16s painted to match the car it is in. They are on public display at the EMIRATES NATIONAL AUTO MUSEUM Source:bbs.keyhole.com...

What else does He do but spend vast amounts of money? I can't find anything.

Edit to say: By the way his name in reverse in Hebrew means "To be like" To resemble" Source: www.studylight.org...

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
Just the other day I was saying, it is a shame we, modern man, have not made a monument to the scale of the ancients. It is too bad that when it is finally done it is out of the ego of one man.

That is really no different than the Egyptian Pyramids though. Same thing done for the same reason.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

That is really no different than the Egyptian Pyramids though. Same thing done for the same reason.

That, my friend, is dependent upon whether the true purpose for the Pyramids was actually as a tomb OR if the original purpose was a power source and spiritual and astrological Temple.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Pretty cool. Sometimes I mow my name in the lawn. This just takes it to a whole new level!

Yeah, unlike the Pyramids which were, um, giant tributes to egos as well.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

mother nature will take care of this in due time
this proves we can be parasites to the world temporarily

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join