It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Identifying Military Aircraft

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Hello everyone,

I have had military aircraft buzzing over my neighborhood for the past two days. I do live very close to Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst so I understand the reason for the activity but over the past two days there is no doubt the activity has been ramped up.

I have lived at my location for the past 10 years. Normally, I hear military drills off in the distance, gunfire, loud noises (enough to make the house shake) and large military aircraft overhead. Occasionally we do see small military jet fighters but not on the level of the past two days. The fly overs were so frequent this morning we decided to take a video of it. Unfortunately I do not own a "real" video camera so the iPhone 4 video will have to do.

Clearly, this is a military aircraft and I was wondering if someone can identify just which type of aircraft this is for me. Also, what would be the role and/or purpose of this aircraft in the military? Is this aircraft used in combat or just for training purposes?

Mods, if this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move it!

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Looks like an F-18 to me.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
It is not an F-18 as it does not have twin tail wings. It is quite difficult to tell exactly what it is due to the lack of detail but I would guess F-16 or a remote possibility a Tornado GR4, where was it observed?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
It has two engines. It is an F-18 Hornet.

edit on 21-7-2011 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Yes, it is an F-18. The poor video quality and angle at which it was filmed don't give you a great view of the tail end, but the shape is obvious.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

I didn't spot that, in that case yes you are right it is an F-16

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

If you watch it over at uTube and set to fullscreen and the resolution to "original" it seems to show the video in a better quality. I know that is a pain in the butt to do but I do appreciate your reply.

It was observed in New Jersey between the Lakehurst Naval base and Fort Dix.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xrevxoltx

There is no way that has a twin tail wing. Its structure is just not right.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
delete.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimbone

I just looked closer like you said and yes it is an F-16

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I think its practicing the maximum number of houses it can destroy in one pass in case of a Zombie invasion.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
F/A-18F Super Hornet. I went to the YouTube site and looked at it full screen. The wings go into the fuselage at too steep an angle for a F-16.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Here is an F-18 from the bottom:

i852.photobucket.com...

Here is an F-16:

i852.photobucket.com...
edit on 21-7-2011 by xrevxoltx because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-7-2011 by xrevxoltx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
delete.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by xrevxoltx

To be honest with you I saw the aircraft as clear as day and I am surprized the video did not come out better. It looked like I could throw a stone at the aircraft. The video is pretty still for hand held but yes, the quality lacks.

Makes me wonder about all these UFO videos with poor quality. Are they really all hoaxes or are some just frustrated camera men.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Definitely a F/A-18. Viewed the video at 1080 res. full screen on 30 in monitor. I can easily make out the twin engines. Looks as if it was about to land as I can also make out the landing gear is down. Spent many years stationed and deployed with the 18's. No question about it. Where are you located? Near a Navy or Marine base?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Came across this a while back. There is a quiz on aircraft recognition here. You may want to hone up on your skills. I found this fun and educational . Enjoy:

550cord.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I guess I didn't look close enough the first time I watched the video. The plane does have two engines and thus it is an F-18 Hornet. I've deleted my other posts.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jafo1984

The closest base to me is Lakehurst Naval Base which is the direction the aircraft is flying. Lakehurst Naval base is a joint base with Fort Dix and McGuire Air Force base.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimbone

First thing I thought was "airshow", but there is no airshow there at McGuire/Lakehurst in 2011. Next one will be in 2012.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join