It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inventor Says Armor Can Take Multiple .50 cal Hits

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
the important thing about this is the weight savings in vehicles if you got a plate that is same size and stops the rounds shot at it just as good or better than standard plates but weighs half as much. think of fuel savings you could have or having the abilty to double up on armor

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Hey guys, as far as that goes if it can't be shot down it would be bombed... So even if you (armored guy or vehicle) withstand .50 cal rounds with that, you'd be witnessing live the front view of some RPG coming straight at you within the next 5 seconds or so... Good try, though in a heavy duty weapons' attack I'd still rather be wearing only shorts and running shoes as I strongly believe it's less expensive and more effective than wearing that armor.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I think Id rather just get hit with the .50 caliber wearing a T-shirt; A piercing wound would probably be a faster death than having your organs pulverized from the concussive force.

Cool for vehicles, though.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
I did a report on space elevators once for a class. I had to cover nanotubes since they are planned to be used in the tether system since they are the strongest material we can create.

Only problem is that we can only produce a few inches of it at a time because of the process involved.

So in other words, it makes me sick to see carbon nanotubes being implemented into armor when it should be used for progressive technology

Dude, the armor is SAVING lives not taking them! So you do not think our armed forces should get the best protection available?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Good for vehicles or bunkers but even if it stopped the bullet a .50 BMG to your torso would still kill you.

A .50 BMG can have up to 15,000 ft/lbs. of energy at 500 yards.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

lol Well im starting to think this isnt its ment for people at all really.... because lighter variants would be better for people with .50 protection a non-issue. Aircraft, vehicles, and every type of combat robot under the sun is gonna be wearing this stuff.

Lets get ready for the necessity of energy weapons...

*imagines being a starwars bounty hunter*

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Is this similar to the "Dragon skin" type armor or something new all together? Pinnacle Armor makes dragon skin. Apparently they make a Level 5 body armor version. I guess it looks like there is some debate over it's use. looks like one of the best if not the best body armor being produced today by any armor manufacturer.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
If it can stop .50 cal rounds, it can most certainly stop 5.56mm rounds which are more likely to be encountered by ground troops. You could probably take 9mm rounds, full auto, no problem. I can see this armor being used by SWAT teams more than the army.

As a foot soldier, you'd have a very slim chance of surviving a .50 caliber bullet. However, this could be extremely effective for vehicles likes APCs or helicopters.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Man, I saw that kryron stuff and man it looks freaking heavy as hell! Its gotta be more then or at 200 pounds. Doesnt even look like it protects your back. Plus 50 cal bulllets are freaking huge! they would kill you anyway with that on. But! it is awesome they created this special armour and I'm sure they will make some serious improvements in the future.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join