It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gethsemane (I only wanted to say)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
This song gets me every time I hear it. Ted Neeley really brings this scripture to life. You can feel the agony and the battle taking place in his mind. A lot of times we read the Bible and it's just words on paper. Bringing it to life like this is a true gift. Nothing more to say. This is just beautiful.

Matthew 26:39
“My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
though i am no christian, this is one of my favorite movies. i was even in a version of the play back in the '90s (i played simon... got a rockin' song with some dancing girls!)

the scene you posted is quite emotional and ted neely nails it. carl anderson (who played judas) really does a grand job as well... even as a pre-teen, when i first started watching this movie, and was listening to Iron Maiden type stuff, i recognized the power in Carl Anderson's voice and in his portrayal of this conflicted character. in fact, i felt he was more identifiable then JC.

carl anderson has since passed away, but last i heard ted neely is still going strong, belting out JC's high tenor screams just like he did nearly 40 years ago.

the movie does a swell job (imo) setting up the political and emotional complexities of the time, without falling into preachy ville. it simply tells an epic and disturbing story with a bad-a$$ 70's rock groove backing it all up.

one of the highlights of my life was singing "Everythings Alright" on stage with 50 others 5 nights a week for a 2 month run. it is a beautiful song.

anyhow... thanks for the memories.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Ted Neely's portrayal of Jesus in this movie helped to shape my views and perceptions on the whole christian thing, and it was good.

Seeing him deliver the same powerful performance live 30 odd years later was incredible to say the least.

He deserves many honours and kudos for his talents.
YAY TED!!

Great post

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Can you believe that Andrew Lloyd Webber was just 21 years old when he wrote this? I didn't realize that until I saw his birth date along with the creation date of this musical.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

wow

i was in the play when i was 21... that is the extent of my worldly achievements at that age!

impressive. the lyrics and the music align rather well. i personally enjoy this rock opera better than Hair, or Godspell.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
This was the only movie I paid 7 times to go and see when I was 15. Absolutely loved the music and costumes...
and thought they all did a great job.

30 years later my daughter loved it as much as I did at her age.....go figure.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Wow - thats amazing too.
Musical genius!

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Thanks dbates! I used to lie on my bed and listen to this soundtrack over and over, singing all lyrics...
Great to sing a long to - thanks again, made me smile!

This was my mom's fav:

And one I always loved:

CJ

new topics

top topics

join