It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ontario Flames Still Encroaching

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Ontario Flames Still Encroaching

indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com

Ontario officials evacuated more than 3,000 First Nations people from northern Ontario communities on Wednesday as more fires erupted, bringing the total above 4,000.

Officials said thousands more could need evacuation as the week wears on. A total of 112 fires were burning as of July 20, with more expected as thunderstorms with heavy lightning continued, the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) said in a statement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
In a worst-case scenario, Thunder Bay Fire Chief John Hay said, up to 7,000 people could be evacuated.

what to me is crazy is they have been fighting these fires up there for over a month now and this is the first I've heard about it...
this is a huge event much bigger then the AZ fires we saw earlier in the year

Fighting the fires are more than 2,000 firefighters and support staff with 117 aircraft in the air (including 80 helicopters, 14 water bombers, 7 birddogs and 16 transport planes). Firefighters were already pitching in from British Columbia and Quebec, with another 250 arrived on July 19 from western Canada and the Yukon. The MNR said the fires covered 740,000 acres, breaking “by a landslide” last year’s record of 37,000 acres.

youtu.be...

indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-7-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
What the hell? First I've heard of this too!

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizen519

what can I say
that's why we all come to ATS
to read and hear about news you just dont find anywhere else...

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I was up North for the past week and heard about this on the news about 3-4 Days ago hundreds of Forests fires in North Western Ontario Purportedly.

Link- Forest Fires Active map

I was Up North Near Lake Simcoe Muskoka area for a cottage trip.

I saw it on CTV news they are saying its probably due to the Heat Wave.

Whats happening now isn't that different from the Drought in the 30's
edit on 21-7-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

People as far away as Newfoundland and Labrador were bothered by the smoke that was drifting east. The evacuations have begun. It's not going to be easy for these folks who have never been to big cities before. For the most part they only apeak Ojicree. Thoughts and prayers to them all. Let's hope they have something to go home to.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

The Good thing about Forest Fires in Ontario is that they won't spread like they do in other areas.

Manitoba and Ontario's Huge Forests have millions thousands of lakes rivers creeks ponds etc that will separate the forest fires and possibly help to subdue the flames.

But the Forests are huge in Northern Ontario probably more Forests(Trees) In Ontario then in the Whole Continental United States.

Could cause a lot of smoke if things take a turn for the worse.

They need to get Thousands of Volunteers, FireFighters, or Emergency Personal from all over to save the Forests up North.

Really is a valuable resource and something we don't want to lose too much of ; not to mention the hundreds of communities up North there. Probably a million people altogether in Northern Ontario Or less.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I have another story posted
www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=11866510#pid11866510
about how some hospitals are asking not to send the refugees to them...
never fails, things just go from bad to worse

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
# I'm from Ontario, i hope this doesn't get too out of hand, props to OP though as i haven't heard any Canadian news in several days now.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
There's an open fire ban in the Hamilton area (Southern Ontario). I should hope there's a ban in most areas in Ontario...even smokers are being asked to be careful.

No fires for me next week out in the country, ohh well. Too hot anyway. Chile has snow, what's up with that?

Chilean Snow - CNN

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The smoke can be seen as far away as Newfoundland Article

This fire has also made the moon look blood red in Southern Ontario for the last little while

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Fire bans are on in Huron/Perth as well.

I would assume the same covers all of Ontario atm. Lotsa bush dry as a 10 year old bisquit.

new topics

top topics

join