It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Past life versus future life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Not sure if this topic belongs here.

There have been many threads with regard to reincarnation but I wanted to start one of my own. It is something I have thought about for some time.

There are a lot of things that can be explained away using reincarnation as the source: Gender identity conflicts, déjà vu, kids with adult memories, adults with memories of random strangers, child prodigies, xenoglossy, ocd, mpd, etc.

What I would like to know is does anyone think that instead of these things being indications of a past life, that perhaps they are visions or glimpses into a future life?

I am not saying I believe or I don’t believe in past life, future life, karma, etc. I am just interesting in hearing the thoughts and opinions of others…

Thanks

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Tucker reports that in about 70% of the cases of children claiming to remember past lives the deceased died from an unnatural cause, suggesting that traumatic death may be linked to the hypothesized survival of personality. He further indicates that the time between death and apparent re-birth is, on average, 16 months, and that unusual birthmarks might match fatal wounds suffered by the deceased.

Tucker has developed the Strength Of Case Scale (SOCS), which evaluates what Tucker sees as four aspects of potential cases of reincarnation; " whether it involves birthmarks/defects that correspond to the supposed previous life; the strength of the statements about the previous life; the relevant behaviours as they relate to the previous life; and an evaluation of the possibility of a connection between the child reporting a previous life and the supposed previous life"

Ofcourse, this is considered as pseudoscience even though the research was carried over a course of 40 years.

Just goes to show the bias mentality the mainstream scientific community has on such "forbidden" topics. What scientists cannot understand is what scientists tend to avoid. Ever wonder why quantum physics is still not understood properly by physicists?

edit on 21-7-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: nrg

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Absolutely possible. If you ever remember all of that information you will be one lucky individual!!!

I don't have the vocabulary to do this right but basically time exists at every point in the universe (and beyond). Everything is connected everywhere. The only reason we experience time the way we do (very linear) is due to the Earth and it's rotation. In space time doesn't exist the same way. Gravity has a very large affect on time. Travel at the speed of light and time around you almost stops (no more gravity to slow you down so to speak). Sorry to ramble but I'm sure someone here will give a much better to understand answer.

Are you having memories that don't make sense? Please tell (if you wish).

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by occy30

Occy you are not rambling and I think I know what you're trying to say
Thanks for your input.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

Just goes to show the bias mentality the mainstream scientific community has on such "forbidden" topics. What scientists cannot understand is what scientists tend to avoid. Ever wonder why quantum physics is still not understood properly by physicists?

Stupid science
just kidding.

But why "forbidden" just because they can't explain it? Medicated America... if you can't explain it you can fix it with a pill!

Thanks for the information. I tend to especially believe it when dealing with children. Where could a four or five year old come up with such detailed information. How is it that a five year old can describe, in detail, 50 years worth of a life. And the language thing...

I was at a conference and one of the individuals suggested that perhaps it's not even about a past life or a future life, but maybe a "present" life... like the energy from someone trying to relay a message or looking for help... Just more to think about.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Reincarnation is not a useful belief to hold. Whether we have lived past lives or not, whether we have memories of, deja vu of, mental illnesses as a result of, etc. ...what can be learned by looking at these things as a result of a past incarnation of ourselves?

Much more useful to focus on ourselves as we are, in this life. All else is fantasy. Interesting, to be sure, but we cannot reliably recount (or even affirm the actual existence of) past lives. This life we live now is right here for us, readily available for study. Why not just look at now?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

I don't know that I find it useful or not. While I agree with you 100% about living the present and focusing on who we are in this life. A part of me feels that the answer to many nagging questions lies in the research of at least the possibility of a past or future life.

If you are talking about memories, daja vu or mental illness... I suppose it depends on the severity of the affliction. When science has no answer and things of this nature become disruptive in a most frustrating way, well.... answers have to be found somewhere.

Again, I'm just wondering about the possibilities.

Thanks for your input

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
haha sorry, just expected more in the response deparment when i checked in.

Future life, yep think about it all the time. lol

1st things 1st time does not exist AT ALL. What was the past and what will the future be is happening now. Imho i believe what seperates it all into time like segments is planetary consciousness.

Yes we spin around the sun and this creates days and all that but thats just an invention. How a day is interpreted here on earth may not be the same halfway across the universe. Time is subjective to the individual.

Past lives is another matter all together. What was the past cannot be changed, what does carry over is personality.

(1233.2) 112:5.6 Though the cosmic circles of personality growth must eventually be attained, if, through no fault of your own, the accidents of time and the handicaps of material existence prevent your mastering these levels on your native planet, if your intentions and desires are of survival value, there are issued the decrees of probation extension. You will be afforded additional time in which to prove yourself. (1233.3) 112:5.7 If ever there is doubt as to the advisability of advancing a human identity to the mansion worlds, the universe governments invariably rule in the personal interests of that individual; they unhesitatingly advance such a soul to the status of a transitional being, while they continue their observations of the emerging morontia intent and spiritual purpose. Thus divine justice is certain of achievement, and divine mercy is accorded further opportunity for extending its ministry.

(Per the Urantia book)

(1234.1) 112:5.12 There is something real, something of human evolution, something additional to the Mystery Monitor, which survives death. This newly appearing entity is the soul, and it survives the death of both your physical body and your material mind. This entity is the conjoint child of the combined life and efforts of the human you in liaison with the divine you, the Adjuster. This child of human and divine parentage constitutes the surviving element of terrestrial origin; it is the morontia self, the immortal soul.

edit on 21-7-2011 by MachiventaMelchizedek because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MachiventaMelchizedek

Funny, I thought there would be no replies

Additional time in which to prove yourself. What are we trying to prove? If there are no memories of a past life, or if the memories have no rhyme or reason... how do we learn, how do we improve? If reincarnation is about karma and the next life serves as some kind of punishment for wrong doing in a previous life... how does that work when you have no idea what you did wrong in the first place? Or if it's about rewards for doing good in a previous life, again, how does someone recognize that?

I totally believe in fate, that everything that happens is supposed to happen, that my current life is pretty much already written out and there are clues and hints (maybe past life memories) along the way that are supposed to lead me in a different, or maybe the right direction? Like when you just know without a doubt that you're in the right place at the right time. And I do believe it's my choice to pick that direction, or not, based on a combo of memories, visions, feelings, intuition, or whatever you want to call it.

Sorry, I actually don't know what I'm trying to say here. I find it all terribly frustrating.

I agree about the non-existence of time. Now if only my boss did, everything would be perfect!

Thanks for your input

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

. . .that perhaps they are visions or glimpses into a future life?

or just different lives.
Knowledge gleaned while in a spiritual realm where the minds converge but with the significant ones to our own, as far as what is useful to us, in a place where time and space mean nothing and we are all alive for that purpose, to help us and to guide us.
In this physical world of daily survival, that place is forgotten, but those memories have bored into our current minds, to pop up when needed.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

I think there's too many contradictions with reincarnation. (For example, do we come back as another animal if the human race becomes extinct or infertile?

And i guess it could only be believed if it is assumed that the "soul" is separate from the brain.

Interesting article on déjà vu (and possible causes):-

science.howstuffworks.com...

The phenomenon is rather complex, and there are many different theories as to why déjà vu happens.

edit on 22-7-2011 by ExistentialNightmare because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join