It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Arrest 20 Teens Leaving a Movie for Curfew Violation 20 Mins before Curfew Starts

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majestic Lumen

... the trouble making kids I think are less likely to get caught, and less likely to follow the curfew either way.

Oh snap, I was 'bout to head to the club and shoot up some !@##$%^ who been slingin' on my block but there's a curfew.

I'm sure that happens a whole lot.

Drug dealing they can live with. Murder doesnt phase them. But breaking curfew? You just don't mess with curfew.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Regardless of how incredibly ridiculous legally enforceable curfews are, you cannot enforce them until after the time they go into affect; and as a publicly employed police officer there is definitely something wrong about taking your suspects to a private security center.

If these kids were arrested 20 minutes BEFORE curfew AND it was less than 20 minutes to the nearest police detention facility then it SHOWS the cops involved were KNOWINGLY acting under the color of the law and trying to hide their KIDNAPPING!

This could get really interesting because that is exactly what it was. KIDNAPPING and if the parents have any smarts they will try charging the cops and the PRIVATE facility with KIDNAPPING.

If ANY money had to change hands to get those kids released I am sure a smart lawyer can have lots of fun.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by donkeystyle

Originally posted by MainLineThis
Reply to post by donkeystyle

Comparing living in america to dealing with nazis is a testament to your personal ignorance.

While I agree that things here are not near 100% perfect (as those in lesser countries like yourself seem to expect) they are far from being compared to nazis.

People like you who don't understand history or even modern society are the reason why ...... Never mind...you wouldn't understand.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

I could easily consider my country to be superior to america in virtually every way. we let multiculturalism exist, we don't force our melting pot on people. we can fly without being groped and have naked pictures taken of us.

I never suggested that america is exterminating any particular population, but they are definitely generating intentional phobias to multiple scenarios and muslims in general.

America has it good, but look at how the police treat the populace. That is what reminds me of a police state, something the nazi regime definitely was.

In many ways there are parrelells between the recent changes (past 10 years) in american culture and society , to germany pre ww2. False flag attack on sept 11 being just one of them. ( the arson attack on the Reichstag building).

I could go on. But you wouldn't understand.

Thank god i live where i live.

So don't go calling me out as being ignorant. I may be ignorant, but in comparison with you, i would say i'm quite well informed. And honest about what i know. Also, just the fact that you commented on "those in lesser countries like yourself", seemed to be assuming i live in a "lesser country" to america, is a testament to your own ignorance. There are many countries that are wonderful to live in, and while america has many strong points, your assumption that every other country is a lesser country, just displays the typical american ignorance you yourself possess. Have a good day sir. And go read about the world if you get a chance, you might be surprised to see that america isn't the best place to live. Even before it went to hell.
edit on 21-7-2011 by donkeystyle because: (no reason given)

You make very valid point, however your perception of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (America is a continent, two actually) does not seem the least bit realistic. I've traveled the world extensively, I love the entirety of this planet equally. The United States of America is far from a "police state," if you would argue with that then I would say YOU need to travel a bit and experience what a TRUE police state feels like. Your idea of the "typical" U.S. American could not be farther from the truth.

Curfews are in-place in many places in the U.S. Most jurisdictions don't enforce it. Seems like these cops were out to make a point of some sort. Maybe they've had trouble in that area with teens with crappy parents running around at all hours of the night/morning causing trouble. Given the police had a "paddy wagon," I assume it was their goal to coral up children and scare them straight. I'm not justifying the officers' actions, just letting you know its not the Gustapo rounding up children and torturing them. Crisis centers aren't jails, these kids experienced some not-so-friendly employees at said Crisis unit. My guess would be because those crisis unit employees are used to dealing with crack heads, thieves and mentally unstable individuals.

I'm not here to defend law enforcement on this matter, but for someone who claims to possess intercultural competence, you are displaying very little. I know that simpleton's "every country is inferior to the United States" type of comment probably irked you, but don't put that numbskulls words into the rest of my country men's mouths.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I´m amazed that curfews actually exist, I thought they were just an urban legend.

I´m not very familiar with the U.S. constitution, but would such a curfew not be a violation of civil rights? Are your people not "free to travel"?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by donkeystyle

....In many ways there are parrelells between the recent changes (past 10 years) in american culture and society , to germany pre ww2. False flag attack on sept 11 being just one of them. ( the arson attack on the Reichstag building).....

You are very correct. The people (families) behind the Nazis are the same one behind the changes we see in the USA today.

If Americans and other people can not see these parallels and stomp it out, next time it will not just be a small country but the entire world!

SEE:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

then:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DeepThoughtCriminal

Hahaha, yes we are free to travel. A curfew is generally in-place for people under the age of 16 or 18. It's to help keep kids out of trouble, not every jurisdiction has one and not all those that do enforce them. This is a RARE instance that obviously garnered attention because it doesn't fit in with normal U.S. American behavior.

I'm beginning to think that people who have not lived in and/or visited the United States of America read stuff like this and think it applies to the entirety of our country. This is ONE jurisdiction out of THOUSANDS. Not to mention these officers will likely be reprimanded and the families will receive an apology. I'm actually beginning to think that the rest of the world is as incompetent about U.S. American "culture" as they claim our populace is about theirs.

Reading ATS and watching the crappy television that comes out of this country is no way to understand it.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
ateuprto

Apologies for the generalisation. They are difficult to avoid. I merely intended bring about the reality of recent changes in USA policies. All aspects of freedom in USA seem to be under threat. It irritates me to no end to see the country being mistreated by the "elite". Mostly out of fear that it will extend to my own country. The world is so bleak these days.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by donkeystyle

No worries friend. I do understand that generalizations are hard to avoid with regards to our discussion. The United States has certainly seen brighter days, but so has most of the world at this point. Our liberties here aren't as "under attack" as many make it out to be. There is a LOT of sensationalism with regards to that on this very website. You must take much of what you read here with a grain of salt.

I do agree with you however, one way or another our civil liberties will be fully restored. Whether that is done peacefully or not will obviously be determined. It kind of goes back to our civil war. Slavery was painted by the media and historians as being what the entirety of that conflict was fought over. While slavery was certainly involved, it ALL revolved around state's rights. Anyone who believes that slavery would still exist if the Southern Confederacy had won is nuts. The South wanted to maintain its autonomy, to let each State decide how to govern its people, with little FEDERAL oversight.

All the people screaming with joy over the outcome of that war failed to see how the North destroyed the South's economy, even after conflict had ended. We are now seeing how the FEDERALIZATION of our country plays out. I'm not a "the South will rise again" redneck type, but I sure as hell understand why State's rights is of the utmost importance.

We are far from being a Nazi police state though my friends, rest easy. Our own military and law enforcement are not that blind to morality. There are crooked cops and wicked war fighters, but a majority would never allow a true prison state to exist here.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ateuprto

if not then why is it happening more and more? unified PD a county Gestapo IMO, no sir we are in a NAZI state, if you say different then you are one of them, you live out side the USA, or just do not leave your home, we have done this to our selves now we must pay the piper if you show any sign of knowing our rights you are treated worse than if you kept your mouth shut. ZIG BUSH!!!!! for ve vill own you.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

I live in the United States, was born in the United States and have spent a whole lot of time abroad as well. We do not live in a Nazi police state, if you argue that then you are either ignorant or sensational. I have not once said that our individual liberties are as intact as they once were, but you have no clue as to what a real "police state" is if you believe we live in one.

One of "them," huh? Them being a law enforcement officer, a politician, a policy maker, a pundit or a lobbyist? I was a Soldier for a little over a decade, but I certainly was not one of "them." Things are in a serious state of suck, I'll concede to that. Things are nowhere near a Gestapo-enforced, Nazi police state, I can assure you that. Maybe you are the one that needs to get out of the house a little.

Where are you getting this "keep your mouth shut" if you know whats good for you mentality? Have you just been watching those stupid open-carry videos non-stop? I can't tell you how many Officers, Troopers and Deputies I've come across who are good people who respect those that they serve and protect. The problem lies in the fact that some punk-ass kid approaches them with a crappy attitude talking about rights. LEOs are human beings, the general rule of thumb is treat those people with respect that you assume should treat you with respect.
edit on 21-7-2011 by ateuprto because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by Frogs

If they were 20 minutes from home then they had no way to make it home in time for the curfew to end. And I think Oklahoma City and the environs are a little punchy because they want to keep a close eye on the kids and the government buildings. They have some Tim Mc Veigh history there and so guess that's why. Doesn't make it right though. I'd move.

No, because curfew doesn't exist if you are with parental supervision. EVER. Curfew in America is about getting under 18's off the streets at times people aren't on the streets. (Places like NY don't have this, because the city is up all the time...)

It's supposed to be for the safety of the kids... and to an extent it is... but to step in and play daddy is a bit ridiculous. (I obviously don't agree with it.)

However, we aren't talking about what I believe, we are talking about what the law actually is. Also, if you are waiting to be picked up by an adult... there also is no such thing as curfew. It clearly even says that in the article.

Curfew is about Teenagers and younger being out after 11 without supervision. That is all. What the police did in this case was nazi police action. They created their own rules, plain and simple.

Oh and to the guy above me... You're both right and wrong. We live in the MAKINGS of a police state. Getting arrested 20 minutes before curfew for a curfew, being arrested for growing vegetables on your own property that is within the constructs of the city ordinance, A mayor being "fired" by the chief of his police... Police executing a man for not paying his 2$ bus fair and parading around his dying convulsing body with fully automatic assault rifles... Police tazering people because "they asked for it..." Police throwing paralyzed people out of wheel chairs and citing "resisting arrest." I got to ask, how does a quadriplegic resist arrest?

These are all things happening every day... No punishments are being handed out to the police... only protection. They are increasing more and more and a far more rapid rate. When you look at policy and the handbooks and manuals they use to teach LEO's you quickly see this is "THE AGENDA."

So, yes -- you are right... most places aren't "Police state" yet... however, the transformation is certainly in progress. If you don't attempt to stop it now, then it will become a police state. Can we all agree that The United States of America should never become a police state?

I'm thinking yes, we can... and if that is indeed the case... When do you take measures to impede or stop the progress of such transition? After it's complete? Oh... right.... because after the fact it will be "easier" to defeat... right? I don't get what your point is.
edit on 21-7-2011 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Laokin

You've cited youtube videos that have surfaced on ATS in the recent past. You do realize that "police state" actions represent less than 1% of LEO and public interaction, right?

I understand where you are coming from, but sensationalism should be frowned upon, regardless of its source. I would argue that we are less of a police state than we were in the 60's. Look at what was happening in this country. Between "race riots," protest crack downs (Kansas State anyone?) and the cold war trials; hell, we look sparkly compared to those times. I'm afraid that you misunderstand police training as well. "THE AGENDA" is not why police are trained to interact with the public and potential suspects the way they do, LEO safety is. Gone are the days of the nice neighborhood watch officer, he would be dead if he operated in today's world. LEO training is built on decades of experience and heaps of dead officers, deputies and troopers.

Don't put me in the "law enforcement is always right" camp, but keep me as far away from the "Nazi Gestapo!" camp as possible as well. We live in the makings of a police state in the same way U.S. Americans have for over a century. Increasing documentation, specifically VIDEO documentation (just going by your "sources") has led to this revival in observation. Things could be, and HAVE BEEN much worse than they are today. Taking a non-sensible and sensationalistic approach to a very real concern does not help anyone's cause in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I did a little research on this Oklahoma City Bricktown curfew. Here is what I found out.

About - Youth Curfew Code in Oklahoma City/Bricktown

It was put in place in 2006 after business owners complained about some violent incidents involving teens in 05 and 06. The article states that the police usually warn rather than cite. There are some notable exceptions to it.

Oklahoma City officials made clear the earlier Bricktown curfew for minors would not apply to the following:

Minors working in Bricktown
Minors going to a late movie in Bricktown (Ticket stub needed for verification)
Minors attending a late sporting event (Ticket stub needed for verification)
Minors in Bricktown with their parents

Now - it appears clear the kids in question met these exemptions. Even in the article I linked in the OP the Police Chief states...

Citty said police are investigating their handling of the situation to see what went wrong. “The ordinance does provide for legitimate reasons for someone who is underage to be out past 11 p.m.,” Citty said. “If they can show they were attending the theater and are waiting for a ride to be picked up, the arrest of that juvenile would not be appropriate

However, it does state that teens can be arrested for curfew violation and there is a $302 fine for it.

Okla. City police reminding parents of curfew law

Hmmmm - 20kids* $302 per kid = $6040. That's a nice chunk of change for the city for little effort. It makes me wonder if this whole thing might have not been poor attempt by the city to get revenue by fining a bunch of kids?

For those interested Here is the Actual Bricktown Curfew Ordinance

Its probably worth noting that in section 38-613 of the ordinance "Enforcement" it says...

38-613 - Enforcement

Before taking any enforcement action under this section, a police officer shall ask the apparent offender's age and reason for being in the Bricktown Entertainment Area. The officer shall not issue a citation or make an arrest under this action section unless the officer reasonably believes that an offense has occurred and that based on any response and other circumstances, no defense in Section 38-612 is present

I've not seen any evidence so far the officers did that. Has anyone else?

Edit - Incidents like this are rare in the US. As others have said even if curfews exist they often aren't enforced in many area. However, it is (I feel) important to call them out when they happen. If you don't speak out about abuses of power when they happen they can have a way of becoming more the norm rather than the exception.
edit on 21-7-2011 by Frogs because: added more

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Good detective work. I doubt its the city sending money grabbing squads out on the prowl, more likely some very stupid officers. My guess is that at least one of these kids said something smart-ass to an officer, he or she then decided to act unprofessionally and make horribly stupid arrests/detainments.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

An officer (or officers) taking a case of Contempt of Cop too far?

I'll be honest - that wouldn't surprise me. It seems to happen fairly often.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I would like to thank you for your service , keeping me safe from harm , while putting your self in harms way, ,the police LEOS you know and the ones i know are different, for it is true not all are like, the SS,"where is your papers , i will ask the questions", but this is happening.

One in 5 stops result in some form of anti Constitution, civil liberties or other rights you have, you have the right to ask why your being stopped , what did i do wrong officer, does not mean you should be treated like the most wanted.

But, I, and your are not words they like to hear , they being the ones on a power trip, take this thread for instance what is their trip? Power, money for X amount brought in, need to write tickets to get points for promotion? all the above?

You see i live in the county have three different departments (soon to be one,) that patrol here, the local area LEOS ok nice polite and respectful of you and of your rights, the other 2 well look at them say hi, how you doing , wave or give a thumbs up wrong thing to say or do for they are on you like Fly's on "S" not just one but at lest 5, more if not on other calls, if you have served like you say you have you have seen this type your self, better then you, your not one of us do not talk to us, yes we will eat any where we please with clips in and safety off, if you should happen to look at one, you might get the "what are you looking at you have a problem? intimidating is it not , and the look they have, like " i will ripe your head off and not think twice about it" in a combat zone yes but on the streets ?? OK, LA and some big city's are, but not all, so does this give them the right to act like the SS???

edit on 21-7-2011 by bekod because: editting

edit on 21-7-2011 by bekod because: word corection

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Laokin

Yeah you are right here.

No, because curfew doesn't exist if you are with parental supervision. EVER. Curfew in America is about getting under 18's off the streets at times people aren't on the streets. (Places like NY don't have this, because the city is up all the time...)

It makes the people easier to manage. I know you are gonna jump all over that. And you should.

I am thinking this area had some unique crime statistics that warranted the move otherwise the adults would have brought some sort of outcry sooner. Apparently they were on board. edit: Just noticed frogs post above and so this is answered pretty well by frog. Thanks for that.

I'll address this since people think I think differently...of course curfew should not apply with adult supervision but then in some instances, playing devils advocate, I would have to ask how many kids are there per adult?

Kids are a nuisance. Well they are. Let's see how we feel when flash mobs are popular or when you grow up and they are tp'ing your house. Oh those kids and their freedom to congregate and reek havoc. Already some stores do not allow more than 2 teens inside at once. How do they get away with it? I wonder...

Taking the citizens side, I would have fought these restrictions placed on my child earlier.
edit on 21-7-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Omg police enforced curfews??? That's plain facist stuff right there. Being violent, causing disturbance, being intoxicated while underage etc. etc. is already crime. So what does curfew then do? If I had live in a place as such I'd be a felon probably. I had a bad narcolepsy in my teens and I quite often walked around at night. I would've been hauled to jail many times apparently. Weird.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I live in a suburb of St. Louis. We have curfews here for under 18s after 1am.

The first time I heard about this was when my little bro was out late and he got in trouble for it. I was floored! I thought curfews only happened in 3rd world countries with dictators running them, not in the United States! Not in the land of the free and the brave!

My brother (who's almost 18) has gotten multiple curfew tickets. One was just before curfew (he would've made it). Another was actually after he pulled into my driveway after going to Taco Bell just a couple minutes away. He's had to pay every time. And for what? Traveling in the land he was born in?

I went to court with him once and watched with disgust as an entire courtroom (filled with mostly teenagers) went up and paid one after the other for their "violations". I watched with horror as the American youth were being drained of their lifeblood (money) which some need to survive.

What a horrible world we live in.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

The mere fact you are able to call the country a nazi state and refer to police officers in a bad light without a visit from someone proves your own statements invalid. Yes there are changes in the US we should be able to live without and someday I believe we will return to the very free choices that now has us at this point. Continue to vent your rage just do not move to a less freedom prone country and expect to be able to enjoy internet access or most certainly do not expect the freedom to refer to a person in charge as a Nazi or to your country as a nazi state as you will find yourself missing from the roles of society rather quickly.

Enjoy your free speech and be thankful that we are as free as we are

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join