It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the evidence that the mind and brain are too different things?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I really want to belief in life after death but there is no reason to do so. Can you please give me some evidence or something?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I think I have always assumed the mind as a personal disposition and the brain as the physical organ that contained it....?

However they are one and the same.. Phineas Gage anyone?
edit on 21-7-2011 by etombo because: words

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

the evidence is in atoms and molecules!

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

No. I cannot. Even if I told you what I know or believe, you have to take the steps.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Scientists investigating 'near-death' experiences say they have found evidence to suggest that consciousness can continue to exist after the brain has ceased to function. However, the claim has been challenged by neurological experts. The researchers interviewed 63 patients who had survived heart attacks within a week of the experience.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Samkhya is an enumerationist philosophy that is strongly dualist. Samkhya denies the existence of Ishvara (God) or any other exterior influence. Samkhya philosophy regards the universe as consisting of two realities: Purusha (consciousness) and Prakriti (phenomenal realm of matter). They are the experiencer and the experienced, not unlike the res cogitans and res extensa of René Descartes. Prakriti further bifurcates into animate and inanimate realms. On the other hand, Purusha separates out into countless Jivas or individual units of consciousness as souls which fuse into the mind and body of the animate branch of Prakriti.
There are differences between Samkhya and Western forms of dualism. In the West, the fundamental distinction is between mind and body. In Samkhya, however, it is between the self (as Puruṣa) and matter (Prakriti).

en.wikipedia.org...

The book compares parallel passages from the Bible and Upanishads in order to show the unity of all religions.

Religion would often like us to believe that God is the creator and man looks up to God, yet this is not quite true. Prior to contrary belief, Man is made in the image of God and has the ability to become God, although this is still heatedly debated...
You can decide for yourself on what you want to believe.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Personally I think there is a "give up" segment that is not mentioned. According to medical analysis, I should have died several times. There has to be an element of wanting that is not taught or realized.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
i wont go down the road of near death experience or after life --- but the brain is an organ lets look at it like a computers CPU the cpu does process everything and if you did an autopsy on a computer you would have to assume thats where decisions are made because that is where they are processed --- but then you have failed because you where unaware of the "user" who comes before the processing unit and is trully responsible for the cpu's directives --- the human bodies "user" i think is represented by the mind/soul etc and directives/instructions processed by the brain as the cpu (if that makes any sense lol)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours
news.bbc.co.uk...

Scientists investigating 'near-death' experiences say they have found evidence to suggest that consciousness can continue to exist after the brain has ceased to function. However, the claim has been challenged by neurological experts. The researchers interviewed 63 patients who had survived heart attacks within a week of the experience.

Of those 56 did not have a near death experience... Also, sleep takes place a little bit before waking up, how can you be sure that this didn't happened while they were regaining consciousness?

Originally posted by CasiusIgnoranze
Religion would often like us to believe that God is the creator and man looks up to God, yet this is not quite true. Prior to contrary belief, Man is made in the image of God and has the ability to become God, although this is still heatedly debated...

I don't want to "believe" anything, which is why I'm asking for evidence. I want to be able to know that there is life after death...

Originally posted by Vicarious10000
reply to post by arpgme

That's what I used to believe but I found out that consciousness is actually made by chemicals in the brain, so now I'm a little worried...

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver

No. I cannot. Even if I told you what I know or believe, you have to take the steps.

Peace, NRE.

Can you please just tell me, what was the point of saying anything if you weren't going to talk about this subject at all, isn't that like spam in a way? What steps have to be taken?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours
news.bbc.co.uk...

Of those 56 did not have a near death experience... Also, sleep takes place a little bit before waking up, how can you be sure that this didn't happened while they were regaining consciousness?

Originally posted by CasiusIgnoranze

I don't want to "believe" anything, which is why I'm asking for evidence. I want to be able to know that there is life after death...

reply to post by arpgme

That's what I used to believe but I found out that consciousness is actually made by chemicals in the brain, so now I'm a little worried...

Peace, NRE.

Can you please just tell me, what was the point of saying anything if you weren't going to talk about this subject at all, isn't that like spam in a way? What steps have to be taken?

last i checked chemicals in the brain doesnt make me scratch my head without itching. or make me want to stand up and snap my tendons when i'm bored. or spend money like it's goin out of style when i dont have it.

yeah chemicals in my brain play little part in my every day life about all they really do is help dictate what emotion i'm in or what kind of dreams i have.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
What man's mind is in relationship to the body and the brain has long been the subject of wonder and study. Perhaps some of the answers you seek can be found in the worlds fastest growing religion...

Visit scientology.org for more info. Dianetics (a sub-study of Scientology) will totally change your life (IMHO).

The scriptures that lay-out the foundations of Dianetics and Scientology (to be found in "Dianetics - The Modern Science of Mental Health") contain some amazing data and cover a wide variety of areas such as genetics, cellular biology, emotions, engrams and Dianetic therapy.

For me Scientology and Dianetics explain everything about myself and mankind - and it gets backed-up by more and more independant research, almost by the day.

But, all that is just my opinion...

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicarious10000

Actually I wrote my thoughts, and they include a "give up" section of the mind. We CAN and have held ourselves together in life and in death based on will.

That's what makes us original, wanted, and most of all genuine. You want all the answers well that is the bases of finding nothing, you want to really know what your looking for, find it within yourself.. thats where it is.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Earth is an incubator. Like an egg. The soul matures on this egg. Human souls, for some reason unknown to me, appear to be unique from other animals/bacteria - when this soul matures, perhaps reaches a certain vibrational level (as ancient lore would say, the "lightest heart") - that soul then ascends into the Heavens, aka space.

There is much more to it. But this has been the ongoing global theory for thousands of years. How we do it? Love appears to be the key. Sure appears to be a lack of it in this day and age, which is evidence of our infancy as a species.

Sure, we are progressive in many ways - but the left-brained society built on rigid logic has done very little towards spirituality or applying it in a positive way. Yes, we live longer - but the quality of life still battles with ungodly amounts of stress.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Not sure if a separation can be proven, but I feel the Brain is the physical representation whereas the Mind is the metaphysical representation of our reality.

edit on 21/7/2011 by Dark Ghost because: fixed tags

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I think I've had a genuine OBE before. To me that says consciousness can be, or is independent of the brain.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Um...I'm rather positive all of that is decided in your brain, yes. By chemicals and electrical impulses.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Um...I'm rather positive all of that is decided in your brain, yes. By chemicals and electrical impulses.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Actually I wrote my thoughts, and they include a "give up" section of the mind. We CAN and have held ourselves together in life and in death based on will.

That's what makes us original, wanted, and most of all genuine. You want all the answers well that is the bases of finding nothing, you want to really know what your looking for, find it within yourself.. thats where it is.

Peace, NRE.

i absolutely have no desire to understand or comprehend anything you say from this day forth. so how's the profile switching going?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DigitalControl

oh really? how about some evidence? i never knew chemicals had all this power in the mind..hmmm if thats the case we should pretty much live forever since our bodies are constantly making these chemicals.

so how many of you preble county idiots do i gotta argue with?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Peace, NRE.

i absolutely have no desire to understand or comprehend anything you say from this day forth. so how's the profile switching going?

So, your saying.. what? Profile switching. No need. But I take it as a compliment that you think I would take the time for this conversation

NRE.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join