It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My ATS "little black book"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Hi ATS.

I keep a "little black book" next to my computer; a black Moleskine notebook that fits in the palm of the hand. Every time I feel the urge to post or write something that would contravene ATS terms and conditions, if it is significant enough, I write it down there. Usually political or religious things that would run afoul of this "community," or observations that are a little to spicy for things around here.

I usually fill less than a page per month. In the last month, I filled 3 pages. This means either A) I am becoming more and more of a hothead (unlikely) or B) the world is getting a lot hairier.

The interesting thing to me now as I look at this book is -- what the heck should I do with it? Any casual observer reading it would conclude I am a dangerous rabid dog of a human that should be put down. So the logical conclusion would be to burn it. Or at least never show it to anyone. This somehow makes me feel a bit like Winston Smith, scribbling furtively in his cream-colored diary out of sight of the telescreen in Orwell's 1984.

Despite the fact that we have access to so many fora like ATS and opportunities for printing our ideas on the Internet in a myriad form, looking at this record of my "online id" I realize there is no way I could or would even want to post it, even under the stictest anonymity. Somehow a little handwritten notebook seems the only acceptable vehicle for the truly salacious and outre. This seems to say something about the relationship among technology, information, freedom, and privacy....people speak of technology as empowering us, but what does it say when we are still scribbling furtively in little notebooks?

I don't have any real conclusions to offer but I thought I'd toss the topic out there and see if it floats. How do you handle that which you want to post but can't? Do you have a "little black book" ? What's in it?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Wow, do I need a little black book. There are so many things that I want to write, but have the same T&C concerns, and the one time I threw my fears out the window, it didn't go well. Maybe we can ask for a No Hold Barred Forum. Something that we can be our crazy selves in sometimes. I know that it would have consequences, but I am also sure that it would be the most visited place.

If you ever feel like venting, find someone (maybe me
) and you can bounce the ideas. I feel like this more often then not.

Almost all of us, have a "beyond the ordinary, possibly offensive, rethink life, moment" and we should be able to share it.

S&F, thanks for the idea of the "book". I have got to find a place to address my thoughts too!

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I can't tell you the number of times I start a reply with" you freaking moron". Then I go on and finish the post, do the preview. Check that I have made my point as clearly as possible, then just delete it. That seems to do the trick for me.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Now that is a very bright idea, thanks for it. I need badly my own little book of... let's say overpassionate comments. I shall get a red one, though. Fits better the content

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

I just did that. I saved my post, but decided NOT to send it. I know that some of us are more passionate, and can fly off the handle so I think Im going to wait a few minutes, re-read, and ..... send it.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Sometimes I write my overly zealous thoughts in an email. I then send to myself, to be tucked away in my little black book sub-file for possible future use. The really incriminating ones, I hand write in a book, cleverly disguised, as a Christmas card exchange list book.

Yup...got my butt covered

Des
edit on 21-7-2011 by Destinyone because: sp

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

If I did have a "little black book",I would probably get too
sidetracked to write in it.I would probably forget where I
put it as well.My office is not exactly the most organized
part of my home.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

My dear.. I think youre taking this website and the discussions/people babbling too seriously.

Nope, I dont have a little black book. I voice my T&C noncompliant comments ( the kids and husband think Im schizophrenic due to me speaking to the computer)..... then I move along. Works for me!

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver

Wow, do I need a little black book. There are so many things that I want to write, but have the same T&C concerns, and the one time I threw my fears out the window, it didn't go well. Maybe we can ask for a No Hold Barred Forum. Something that we can be our crazy selves in sometimes. I know that it would have consequences, but I am also sure that it would be the most visited place.

If you ever feel like venting, find someone (maybe me
) and you can bounce the ideas. I feel like this more often then not.

Almost all of us, have a "beyond the ordinary, possibly offensive, rethink life, moment" and we should be able to share it.

S&F, thanks for the idea of the "book". I have got to find a place to address my thoughts too!

Peace, NRE.

"Maybe we can ask for a no hold barred forum..." I think that is a very good idea.....just one forum....where anything goes! Although...I doubt it will happen.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I write it all in a U2U and blindly pick a mod/admin to send it to...

jk

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Probably four or five times a day, I look at my computer screen and shout "Idiot!" Sometimes it's plural, such as "you are freaking idiots!".

Moleskin, eh?

top topics

join