It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happened to the GOOD Techno? (A Twelve Song Playlist)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I got into techno back when artists like Juno Reactor were known! I totally respect trance and all it's sub-genres but really .... can they even compare?? I've listen to A LOT of trance and many of sub-genres but I have yet to hear that which made early techno so unique! I miss the older techno and wonder why it never established itself like other mainstream genres.

Don't believe that this genre of music didn't have a great sound?

Twelve Great Songs from a Lost Genre:

Fluke: Atom Bomb (1996)

The Crystal Method: High Roller (1996–1998)

2 Bit Pie: Little Things (2006)

Orbital: Halcyon On and On (1992)

Leftfield: Original (1995)

Syntax: Bliss (2004)

Fluke: Absurd (1997)

The Crystal Method: Keep Hope Alive (1996–1998)

2 Bit Pie: Colours (2006)

Orbital: Nothing Left (1999)

Leftfield: Snakeblood (date ?)

Syntax: Little Love (date ?)

P.S. I'm really happy with what Daft Punk has done lately

Daft Punk: Derezzed

Daft Punk: Container Park

I hope those of you who appreciate the unique sound of early techno will add to this post!

If anyone else knows any great techno songs that should be in this list please make a mention. I know that the early Prodigy and perhaps even the early Chemical Brothers should be up here but I decided to leave them out (partially due to personal preference) but definitely feel free to add any artist who you believe should be on this list.

I hope you enjoyed my playlist and will contribute to the list.

Peace & Respect,

-AS-
edit on 20-7-2011 by AeonStorm because: dates

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Didn't know there was such a thing as GOOD TECHNO.

Almost seems like an oxymoron.

Like Jumbo Shrimp and Military Intelligence.

All good tho. Just a musical preference. I prefer musicians actually using instruments. Man I'm getting old!

Prehistoric Techno anyone? This is what it was when I was playing. Listen to it all before a judgment.

Gentle Giant

edit on 20-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
what happened to good techno....it would be tough to find because it never existed

flame on

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
what happened to good techno....it would be tough to find because it never existed

flame on

Did you even listen to some of the songs? Or even like the Genre?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

All good tho. Just a musical preference. I prefer musicians actually using instruments. Man I'm getting old!

I can understand what you're saying Jude11 BUT it just so happens that I like ALL types of music as long as it's good
... I like everything from the 60's/70's genre to some of the 80's into the 90's with Nirvana and Sound garden and then shortly after Fluke and the Crystal Method up until bands like Linkin Park. Their are many more but I'm not going to go through a timeline lol

I guess I would have to say that I dislike much of the American Idol crap (or such) that passes for music these days and I find it hard to find REAL music anymore.

Did SO many people actually dislike the type of techno that went into to some major Motion Pictures that it just sort of "disappeared"?
edit on 20-7-2011 by AeonStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I was listening to a remix of Fluke - Atom Bomb the other day.
I listen to a lot of genres.
From happy hardcore to gabber and everything inbetween except for a few stupid sub genres like speedcore.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

Thanks for sharing

ahh the memories
I used to love Infected Mushroom, actually it was probably some of the first techno i ever listened to -

Still luv it though - HK Shuffles away grinning!!!

Do you get into Headhunterz and Showtek? - It's more hardstyle but i love it!!

edit on 20-7-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Hey there AS,

I totally feel ya.

I don't like the new "Beatport Techno" style of 128bpm. I grew up DJing banging beats at +4% or +7%

Adam Beyer went as long as he could....he put out a good mix in 2002, Stockholm I believe...but he isn't one to drop classics like Dave Clarke does.

I love playing old techno classics, and there is a ton of them around - just the other day I queued up a a bunch of old Underworld in my downloads....timeless classics.

I think those who know the classics will always love them, and part of the thing you love about them is the look on all the younger kid's faces as they try to figure out why everyone in the crowd is suddenly cheering.

I managed to catch Leftfield while they were on tour earlier this year, it was amazing....but I indeed felt sorry for the people who had never heard of them before and were trying to get into it with the other long time fans.

Good tunes never die.

And with the current age of digital DJing, they will live on forever, without fear of degradation or the elements....

IMO The new dawn of Live Remixing and Live performance with Ableton and Traktor is a lot more entertaining than hearing classic drops mixed with new material.

Ritchie Hawtin is currently one of the leading men in this - you should check him out, he's still as good as he ever was.

Also Get on Soundcloud....hunt those DJs down, hut down their friends....I been trying to chase down a group of DJs who called themselves Wetmusik - best techno I ever heard, up there with Jeff Mills and DJ Rush. After a few soundcloud messages to other Melbourne DJs I eventually found out that one of them became a real estate agent, and the other now owns a nightclub that plays House.

The DJs and Producers will come and go.

But the tunes will always live on.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I used to listen to a lot of hardstyle back a few years ago but to be honest I kinda hate the new stuff they put out today. Some of it is good but it's just not my taste.

I do love reverse bass hardstyle though

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AeonStorm

Originally posted by jude11

I can understand what you're saying Jude11 BUT it just so happens that I like ALL types of music as long as it's good
... I like everything from the 60's/70's genre to some of the 80's into the 90's with Nirvana and Sound garden and then shortly after Fluke and the Crystal Method up until bands like Linkin Park. Their are many more but I'm not going to go through a timeline lol

I guess I would have to say that I dislike much of the American Idol crap (or such) that passes for music these days and I find it hard to find REAL music anymore.

Did SO many people actually dislike the type of techno that went into to some major Motion Pictures that it just sort of "disappeared"?
edit on 20-7-2011 by AeonStorm because: (no reason given)

Just pulling it actually. If it's well done, I'm into it. Music is just notes and soul put together to move you. If some techno does that, I'm good.

I listen to more and more genres as I get older and appreciate more than I used to.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

lol....the first thing I thought as I was reading your list was "Where's Prodigy???"

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Wow that's a trip in the way back machine. I must admit at first I didn't get it either but then I just let loose a rolled with it. Those were good times so sad the scene is dead now.

There was a moment there when I had a glimpse of what the world could be. Thanks my friend for the reminder of happier days. P.L.U.R.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by fusionhunter

Thats pretty awesome, i hadnt heard of em....
where have i been hiding.

It's only Thursday and i have this urge to go clubbing!!

Some of the more recent hardstyle isnt too bad, Showtek would be my favourite. I live this clip from 2008 at Qlimax -

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Hi - great thread. When I read the title to your thread, I thought of something a little different from the bands you posted. This is circa 1996.

CJ

edit on 20-7-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-7-2011 by ColoradoJens because: cause I am getting dumber by the second

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Prodigy should have made the list. I cast my vote for Sasha and Digweed the first Renaissance set.

. My son spins the Dub Step, these kids have no appreciation for what it was to spin actual vinyl records in a pitch black club.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

I gave you a star friend lol. There is one I will add because it holds a nostalgia!

The Prodigy: Firestarter

Peace,

-AS-

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ladysophiaofsandoz
Prodigy should have made the list. I cast my vote for Sasha and Digweed the first Renaissance set.

. My son spins the Dub Step, these kids have no appreciation for what it was to spin actual vinyl records in a pitch black club.

Add it grrl! ... In my OP I made it clear that I wanted others to ad to my playlist

Peace!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

Thumbs up on S&D - check out my post right before yours! Good call!

CJ

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
i listened to classical music for years prior to trance, when i mad the move i loved it. to me it seemed like a modern interpratation (sc) of classical. but sadly after maybe 5 years a started to see a change and it wasnt for the better.

imo dj's started getting big heads and the music suffered. havnt listened to any since 2001 and whenever i hear it pipping out of someones car i just shake my head and laugh.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I really loved when Tiesto did trance music.
Remeber there's a difference between hearing and listening

top topics

<<   2 >>

join