It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSNBC To GOP Congressman: "Do You Have A Degree In Economics?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Did a search and nothing came up, thought this video was interesting, short though it is. cant imbed video

Source

Haha this made me laugh, she was taken aback for a split second and tried to recover.

The real question is, does she have a degree in economics, or is she just reading from a screen
Typical... oh and I found this little tid-bit on her FB page after the interview: "just learned why lawyers are told never to ask a question they don't know the answer to"

such a fool This is why I voted for Mr.Brooks
edit on 20-7-2011 by Kingbreaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingbreaker

She thought she was gonna pull off some clever insult. I think at that point she should have just stayed silent cuz any further fecal matter that came from her mouth was a waste of time. Thanks for sharing. It gave me a good laugh.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
LOL. She got pwnt.

Having said that, here in Britain, a lot of our TV news presenters are increasingly resorting to rudely and aggressively posing questions like this, all in an attempt to spawn some unseemly ruckus which will provide ''infotainment'' to the viewers.

There's nothing wrong with journalists posing pressing questions to politicians, but the woman in the video appeared to be trying to catch him out in a way which badly back-fired on her, and made her look unprofessional. Instead, she should have firstly availed herself of this representative's economic credentials, and then based her questions with that in mind.

edit on 20-7-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
S&F!

I love it when arrogance and (as this woman displayed) pure ignorance, slap someone in the face.

What a bafoon....

~Namaste

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
This speaks more to her crappy research team than it does to her journalistic ability. I have a feeling some heads are gonna roll in the MSNBC research department...
/facepalm

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Why place so much emphasis on an economics degree when it's expereience and commpn sense that matters most?.
Example: Many of Obama's economics dream team have already left, with their tails between their legs, after failing miserably.
I bet they went back to their old jobs in Academia proving once again,
Those who can, DO! Those who can't, teach!
edit on 20-7-2011 by Alxandro because: typo,

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingbreaker

HahaaaaHAAA!! Love it! Many journalists or so unbelievably arrogant, it's nice to see one totally owned
After he explained that he did indeed have a degree in economics, he should have asked her if she did as well.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggyMcBigPants
This speaks more to her crappy research team than it does to her journalistic ability.

I disagree.

From her response to his calm, polite and assured reply, it appeared that she momentarily lost her composure and got flustered. She probably had a cutting follow-up question prepared which would have embarrassed him about his lack of economic credentials, but she was completely put-off by an answer which she wasn't expecting.

While that may be, in part, due to lax and unthorough research from her behind-the-scenes team, she was still the one who made the journalistic call to launch that ''stinging'' interrogatory query !

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Meh, then we disagree. I am not saying she is not a poor journalist (disclaimer: have not been able to watch the video with sound yet); she is. However, when a simple google search finds that Congressman Brooks' graduation info is listed on BOTH his official Congressional webpage as well as wikipedia, that kinda leads me to believe that there was practically NO research done at all, or at least in any meaningful way. That is just pathetic!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The thing is, no one can have a degree applicable to every issue they will face as a leader on a national level. What we need are people trained in leadership and decision making.

We need leaders that can coalate information from professional sources, analyze it, extrapolate and recognize patterns within it so as to make more complete, more compotent decisions.

What we have is a bunch of charismatic role players...Quite literally, actors.

Everything is about being liked as opposed to being effective.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I'm wondering if she did something to irritate the research team and they wanted to nail her on live tv. Oh yeah, get you another coffee you irritating....how about I make you look ridiculous on national tv.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Why place so much emphasis on an economics degree when it's expereience and commpn sense that matters most?.

It's like the "are you a doctor" card.

Best reply for that one is "if I were a doctor, I wouldn't be allowed to say that".

You're right. It's a simple deflection tactic.

new topics

top topics

join