Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Staples in your kitchen?!

page: 2
6
<< 1   >>

log in

join

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stovokor


My bf always says he likes how I love to cook..good thing is he cooks too
reply to post by mblahnikluver
 


Must be nice! My partner literally can't cook...i mean, he has 2 masters degree's but can make mac 'n' cheese. Speaks 4 languages and cant figure out mashed potatoes...it's very sad
edit on 20-7-2011 by Stovokor because: (no reason given)


LOL yeah I have dated a couple of those.

I was honestly surprised he could cook but he said he has always liked to cook. He hasn't cooked for me yet but he is always telling me what he is cooking for the kids or what his recipe is for certain foods. He even has his own recipes he has made up for foods he likes. He actually has a recipe box. I was shocked and in love
I told him we could have a cook off lol

I have only ever dated one guy who could really cook and we actually argued over who was making dinner.


A




posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat
 


Mmmm sounds good!

Egg noodles are great! I love whipping up a sauce and adding some chicken and veggies and putting it over egg noodles.


As for dessert, anything chocolate I am down for. I never discriminate with chocolate



posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Well...you guys covered just about everything, except jasmine or basmati rice, which is a nice, nutty alternative to white and something I keep on hand all the time and use for coating stuff instead of breadcrumbs - Kellogs Corn Flake crumbs.




posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver
 


I even eat egg noodles plain with just butter
Have you ever heard of Mississippi Mud Cake? If you love chocolate you would LOVE that!



posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Tasty Canadian
 


You just reminded me of something else I like "rice a roni" If you are really hungry and want something quick, just add some chicken to it....pretty good for a quicky meal!
edit on 7/20/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Love the thread!! I thought I would add some of the things that I cannot live with out, and maybe some pointers on what I do that might be beneficial to others.

First rice is a must!! For rice and chicken, also I add hot italian sausage to white rice, and have a full meal (I also like to add sweet corn) to balance the heat.

I have buying neck bones, and whole chicken quarter (the whole leg, and thigh attached) and cut them myself, which save on money, and though I dont eat the rib part, I boil it with onion, carrot, garlic, and celery, and make a stock for rice and soups.

I make sofrito which is a mix of green peppers, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, onions, pepper corns, in a blender, and add it to almost everything. I make a batch every season and freeze it. It is very strong and you only need a little, so I bought ice cube trays, and I freeze them, when I need it, I just take as many cubes as needed.

The ice cubes can be used for stock also, you can make more concentrated batches, and just use them individually.

As far as seasonings, Adobo, Sazon, Sea salt, Olive Oil, bouillon (assorted) I love the fish bouillon for the winter, and I add some fideos and shrimp, pepper corn with grinder, curry powder, and I have an in home herb garden, with basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and I have a bulb or garlic in it, which I allow the green part to grow very long and use as a seasoning, like scallions, as it takes like both onion and garlic.

Thanks again for the thread. S&F.
Peace, NRE.



posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by mblahnikluver
 


I even eat egg noodles plain with just butter
Have you ever heard of Mississippi Mud Cake? If you love chocolate you would LOVE that!


LOL I do that with egg noodles and other pastas. I add olive oil and parmesean cheese or butter and parmesean cheese..It's so good


I LOVE Mississippi Mud Cake...omg chocolate heaven!



posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver

I make sofrito which is a mix of green peppers, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, onions, pepper corns, in a blender, and add it to almost everything. I make a batch every season and freeze it. It is very strong and you only need a little, so I bought ice cube trays, and I freeze them, when I need it, I just take as many cubes as needed.

Ohhh that sounds good. I will have to try that. I have all those ingredients in my kitchen right now!



As far as seasonings, Adobo, Sazon, Sea salt, Olive Oil, bouillon (assorted) I love the fish bouillon for the winter, and I add some fideos and shrimp, pepper corn with grinder, curry powder, and I have an in home herb garden, with basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and I have a bulb or garlic in it, which I allow the green part to grow very long and use as a seasoning, like scallions, as it takes like both onion and garlic.

Thanks again for the thread. S&F.
Peace, NRE.


Haha I love Adobo and I think I spelled it Adobe in my OP lol

I like scallions as well. I use scallions in most of my sauces but its so minimal. It still gives it a nice flavor though.


Thanks



posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver
 


Let me know how it turns out (sofrito) if you make it. You can add what you like, some people add tomato paste, and red peppers, but I like mine green and cilantro is my all time fav. You can start with a small batch, and add and subtract certain things. Sometimes I will add some vinegar too.

I dont know how you feel about garlic, but I will blend about 20 cloves, sea slat, pepper corn, olive oil, and vinegar, and add it to salads, pork chops, chicken, bread, you name it! Also for plantains,(tostones), and as a marinade for pork roast (pork butt) and loin, as you can see I like it with pork the best


Peace, NRE.



posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
reply to post by mblahnikluver
 


Let me know how it turns out (sofrito) if you make it. You can add what you like, some people add tomato paste, and red peppers, but I like mine green and cilantro is my all time fav. You can start with a small batch, and add and subtract certain things. Sometimes I will add some vinegar too.

I really like cilantro as well. Not many people like it or so I have come across but I do. I wont put it in something if someone doesnt like it though...I really like it in eggs



I dont know how you feel about garlic,

Im Italian
I LOVE garlic!





but I will blend about 20 cloves, sea slat, pepper corn, olive oil, and vinegar, and add it to salads, pork chops, chicken, bread, you name it! Also for plantains,(tostones), and as a marinade for pork roast (pork butt) and loin, as you can see I like it with pork the best


Peace, NRE.


You are making me hungry and I just ate! This too sounds delicious!



posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
Love the thread!! I thought I would add some of the things that I cannot live with out, and maybe some pointers on what I do that might be beneficial to others.

First rice is a must!! For rice and chicken, also I add hot italian sausage to white rice, and have a full meal (I also like to add sweet corn) to balance the heat.

I have buying neck bones, and whole chicken quarter (the whole leg, and thigh attached) and cut them myself, which save on money, and though I dont eat the rib part, I boil it with onion, carrot, garlic, and celery, and make a stock for rice and soups.

I make sofrito which is a mix of green peppers, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, onions, pepper corns, in a blender, and add it to almost everything. I make a batch every season and freeze it. It is very strong and you only need a little, so I bought ice cube trays, and I freeze them, when I need it, I just take as many cubes as needed.

The ice cubes can be used for stock also, you can make more concentrated batches, and just use them individually.

As far as seasonings, Adobo, Sazon, Sea salt, Olive Oil, bouillon (assorted) I love the fish bouillon for the winter, and I add some fideos and shrimp, pepper corn with grinder, curry powder, and I have an in home herb garden, with basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and I have a bulb or garlic in it, which I allow the green part to grow very long and use as a seasoning, like scallions, as it takes like both onion and garlic.

Thanks again for the thread. S&F.
Peace, NRE.


I am so hungry now!



posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Another version of Sofrito we make it with Red and Green peppers, Cuban peppers, sweet chili peppers, cilantro, Culantro (broad leaf cousin of cilantro), onions, garlic, olive oil

Used to season just about everything...soups, stews, beans, rice, meats, spaghetti sauce



posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver
 


Yes it is!
I think I gained 5 lbs. reading your thread!






top topics



 
6
<< 1   >>

log in

join