It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran shoots down unmanned US spy plane

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

"An unmanned U.S. spy plane flying over the holy city of Qom near the uranium enrichment Fordu site was shot down by the Revolutionary Guards' air defence units," MP Ali Aghazadeh Dafsari was quoted as saying by the Youth Journalists Club, affiliated to Iran's state TV."The plane ... was trying to collect information about the site's location," he said, without giving details. He did not say when the incident happened

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Here we go, we are now flying drowns into Iran Air Space. I fear a war is close. If you think not then why would we be flying in there air space in the first place?

edit on 20-7-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

This has close conection to my OP i posted yesterday about an Iran War!

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 20-7-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I thought these drones were supposed to be near invisible on radar and almost impossible to even detect? So how did they find it to even shoot it down? I think a lot of people have underestimated the tech that Iran has. Everyone always jokes about they have sticks and stones for weapons, when this incident if true proves they have at the minimum some decent radar and detection tech.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
good for iran.

showing team america world police that they won't take it sitting down.

but with someone saying Israel war looming, this seems like blowing out another candle on the birthday cake. party's almost over.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
"Here we go, we are now flying drowns into Iran Air Space. I fear a war is close. If you think not then why would we be flying in there air space in the first place?"

umm to spy ?

to gather evidence for nuclear weapons ?

to gather evidence for weapons of mass destruction?

so we don't go in blind like we did with Iraq's WMD's mistake?

its gonna be hard to sell the same old story without REAL evidence this time ....

either that or a false flag operation will be the only way to justify going into iran ...

iran has every right to shoot them down . Its not an act of war. Its national security for Iran.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Here we go then indeed, As you correctly say why fly In their Air space?
Iran will be on high alert from this, wonder If they or the US will make a comment on this on Tonights news?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Ok, this is starting to look like the war is really gearing up!

I really hope we can stay out of this but it looks as though we have put ourselves in the middle. My thoughts go out to all our troops and the people of Iran....I hope our countries can pull their heads out of their backsides!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Drones to collect information huh... Iran is pretty open to information sharing...

Wonder if someone is making an enemy? Remember when iraq had WMDS?
That's why we HAD to go and force democracy and the american way on those enslaved people.

War is always just a matter of time

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
"Here we go, we are now flying drowns into Iran Air Space. I fear a war is close. If you think not then why would we be flying in there air space in the first place?"

umm to spy ?

its gonna be hard to sell the same old story without REAL evidence this time ....

either that or a false flag operation will be the only way to justify going into iran ...

iran has every right to shoot them down . Its not an act of war. Its national security for Iran.
Yeah but why fly drowns in the first place? to get intel, for what, to spy, why, why do we need to know what they have? just for the heck of it?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
drones are near impossible to detect, i have a feeling that the only way it gets detected is if the USA wants it to. probably probing to see where their SAM are coming from.so they can target those locations first when an eventual war breaks out.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Just a matter of time until US and NATO start carpet bombing the civilians of Iran.
Zzzzz.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
reply to post by camaro68ss

I thought these drones were supposed to be near invisible on radar and almost impossible to even detect? So how did they find it to even shoot it down? I think a lot of people have underestimated the tech that Iran has. Everyone always jokes about they have sticks and stones for weapons, when this incident if true proves they have at the minimum some decent radar and detection tech.

Very worrying times indeed, although a MiG29 can take out a drone, easy.

Please see below video of a drone being shot down over Georgia.

www.liveleak.com...

Regards.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Will anything but all out war save this President?

Will anything but all out war save our Economy?

History tells us...It is coming.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
China shot down a spy plane of ours too... we never went to war. But I'm certain there will be violence between Israel and Iran in the new future. Their religions, and their ridiculously non tolerant attitude they both have make them terrible neighbors. Problem is..... No one has any intentions of moving. Iran will not stop their quest for nuclear power, and Israel will not sit back and let them get it. Simple as that. Good thread.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Originally posted by seedofchucky

umm to spy ?

Yeah but why fly drowns in the first place? to get intel, for what, to spy, why, why do we need to know what they have? just for the heck of it?

to look for an excuse to invade ....

its not as easy as saying they are a threat ..

they learned that from iraq and its WMD's ...

They want full support so they and israel can go in and clean house steal resources put in a puppet president and put them on the payroll for a better future for the united states and israel .

I'm sure the drones were authorized by our masters in israel

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meekbot2000
drones are near impossible to detect, i have a feeling that the only way it gets detected is if the USA wants it to. probably probing to see where their SAM are coming from.so they can target those locations first when an eventual war breaks out.

Sorry, but the US is not infallible. Just because it was shot down, doesn't mean the US wanted it to be. We have satellites for things like locating SAM sites and other locations. What this drone was going after was detailed intel on a specific location, or locations. My guess is that it was doing recon work to place strategic missile strike locations. Preemptive strikes come to mind.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meekbot2000

Yes I'm sure something like this was done during the 1967 Six Day War, although I may be mistaken.

I've read of that sort of thing happening though.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Show us a picture or it didn't happen. The Iranians have proven over and over again that they are big fat liars, I see no reason to start believing them now.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
edwin starr got the answers

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I think the situation is more likely to be this ( posted on the Telegraph site)www.telegraph.co.uk...

sergiobramasole
Today 04:36 PM
It isn't that technically difficult to shoot down UAVs to begin with. The drones are slow and can be easily intercepted by military jets.

Also, anything coming from the Iranians must be taken with a grain of salt. That UAV in all likelihood came down due to mechanical failures... if it happened at all.
Report Recommend

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I've always wondered why the military would use a drone for surveillance rather than for a tactical strike and risk loosing it or having it detected and shot down, as in this case, when spy satellite image resolution must be by todays standards, truly staggering.

Having read the article in the link supplied by the OP, it is clear the military were watching the activity at the Iranian nuclear plant where the new highly processed uranium enrichment is taking place.... or simplified, bomb factory.

The Iranian nuclear plant is hidden inside a mountain, so presumably a satellite is not going to see too much activity looking down at a concealed entrance, hence the need for a drone to get low and have a peek inside, metaphorically speaking.

According to the news article, Iran has shot down two previous US drones over the Gulf.

So presumably this is the first US drone to be taken down over Iranian soil, it will be interesting to see if this escalates as has been reported regarding a September 11th date for the attack by Israel/US on Iran?

Interesting times,

Regards.
edit on 20-7-2011 by Surreptitious because: Spelling mistake

top topics

<<   2 >>

join