It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zoo experts search for alligator in Ontario pond

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Zoo experts search for alligator in Ontario pond

A German man who identified himself as Yog says he was fishing in the pond a few weeks ago when the gator tried to snap a catfish off his line.

Strange.

It infuriates me when people keep exotic pets in climates and countries where those animals are not native to. This is not the first time this has happened in Ontario, in 2009 a crocodile was rescued from a pond.

While there is speculation that this picture could be fraudulent, I think it's prudent that they keep searching for the creature until it's caught and put in a proper place that could support its life.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by beauty from pain

Proportions of the photo look a bit off to me, but it might be the water distorting and I'm no expert (as much as I wish I was - I love gators).

I agree though. No one should keep a pet they can't look after. No one should dump a pet they discover they can't look after and no one should get something that isn't, and never will be, suited to being a pet. It's ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
lol I used to do exotic animal shows with this guy who is a total A-hole... i wouldn't be surprised if he released his caiman to avoid spca, or because he couldn't feed it. im in ontario BTW....

but yeah that looks more like a speckled caiman than an aligator to me.

edit on 20-7-2011 by OUNjahhryn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by OUNjahhryn
lol I used to do exotic animal shows with this guy who is a total A-hole... i wouldn't be surprised if he released his caiman to avoid spca, or because he couldn't feed it. im in ontario BTW....

A fellow Ontarionian!

I wouldn't be surprised to see if this animal was released to avoid SPCA.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Damn I live 30 minutes from Belleville, and the Saint Lawrence River feeds that lake ( I live on the river).
He's just a little guy, though, we have muskie and the rare sturgeon which get bigger!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by StripedBandit

Ya, he appears small - if he even exists (which the article speculates it could be a fraud). Hopefully, the little guy is captured and put in a safe place!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by beauty from pain

Originally posted by OUNjahhryn

A fellow Ontarionian!

I wouldn't be surprised to see if this animal was released to avoid SPCA.

yeah man, I live around lake simcoe

i'd bet my money on it. unless it came over on a Chinese smuggling ship lol,
4 posabilities.

1. avoid spca
2. inability to feed (unlikely,. its cheap)
3. parents told kid to get rid of it /wife told husband to get rid of it
4. escaped from boat smuggling exotic animals

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by beauty from pain
reply to post by StripedBandit

Ya, he appears small - if he even exists (which the article speculates it could be a fraud). Hopefully, the little guy is captured and put in a safe place!

Males are normally 2-2.5 meters (6.6-8.2 feet) long, while the largest reported specimen approached 3 meters (9.8 feet). The females are smaller and will normally not exceed 1.4 meters (4.6 feet) in length, although occasional females may reach a size of nearly 2 meters (6.6 feet). The Spectacled Caiman has a bony ridge between its eyes (infra-orbital bridge), hence the name. Another ridge (a triangular one) can be seen on the upper eyelids, which are heavily ossified. The number of teeth varies from 72 to 78. Adult Caiman crocodilus are dull olive green, while juveniles are yellow and adorned with black spots and bands on body and tail. As the caiman matures, the markings grow less and less noticeable. The different subspecies vary in size, colour and skull shape. The social status of an individual will also affect its size by affecting its growth rate. Submissive animals grow slower than the dominant ones and are less likely to breed.

I'd say female spectacled caiman. our juvenile male.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Picture of alligator is faked

Just read this now.

Good to know there isn't an exotic animal in a climate they are not accustomed to.

top topics

join