It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet impact scenarios

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I guess one thing i've never understood with this whole Elenin impact situation, whether it's legit or not, is that obviously a comet impacting water would cause tidal waves, but everywhere? For example, if a 2km wide comet impacted in the middle of Colorado, would people on the east or west coasts feel it? Or, if a comet landed in the Pacific ocean, obviously there would be west coast tidal waves, but what would happen to the people on the east coast of the USA and in Europe?

I just fail to see how a comet impact affects people on the other side of the world.
edit on 20-7-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
This video was from a History channel special program that deals specifically with a comet impact with earth...
watch it if you can... they can answer your questions so much better then I could hope too.
youtu.be...

S&F as always

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I no longer stunned on ATS at what constitutes a real "Thread".

I am old fashioned, but any thread effort posted with no links, no pictures and no real conspiratorial discussion is exactly what it is. A big zero effort. A pretend thread meant to do nothing but ask a question while the OP salivates and waits for stars and flags like some Pavlovian dog.

OK, well let's say for the benefit of the thread's subject matter that someone on ATS is actually interested in wanting to know or inform themselves with information regarding impact scenarios. What now?

First off, to establish such impact findings, begin with some basic criteria and start with identifying whether impact will be by a asteroid, a comet, a planet, a dwarf star, space debris,etc. etc. Size and speed are important factors.

Next on the list of things to do for those that seek to understand impact scenarios is to acquire a software program that can visualize such concerns. Visit one of the many Internet sites that allows those so interested to study impact scenarios from the many different objects in question. Such programs allow you to use size speed and other factors to see just how an impact might look.

To determine how specifically an impact in Colorado will effect the west or east coast first requires some initial information and data to calculate or predict such impact effects, but it can be done and those so interested should begin to inform themselves with just how the different impact scenarios will look and or influence human life on planet earth.

Only in such a way will impact scenarios make any sense, because to discuss such a topic with no relevant external information is ludicrous and promotes more ignorance than the goal of enlightening the masses.

In closing, I would say that this topic is a very valid subject matter, but it was not presented in such a way and so if no one uses the thread to discuss the threads topic, then in my honest opinion, the thread is a bust, failure and a complete waste of time to consider or read for it provides nothing of substance.

To do legitimate impact scenarios and to better understand what such impacts will look like or what their overall effect will be, begin by visiting the following link and in doing so, you will be able to start playing with impact scenarios. This is of course if you truly want to study impact scenarios and their effects.

Of course if you are so lazy as to not have the time or the cerebral energy to figure out how to use such a impact scenario program, then perhaps such impact scenario matters should be left to those that actually can grasp the understanding enough to present material in some logical manner.

Even if that material is just for the sake of generating discussion it should begin with some actual effort and in my opinion this thread lacked all the elements of what should be allowed to be posted as a ATS thread for others discussion and reading concerns. It should serve as a model for what will eventually fail because it of course had nothing to offer ATS readers but a "question" as its premise for thread creation.

Anyway with all that being said, take a look at the link that I am providing. I feel that it will help those that are truly wanting to understand impact scenarios. It is the least I can do to help others get informed. Thanks for the memories.

www.space.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

Sorry about that. Posted too early.
Here is the other software program link that can be used to study impact scenarios.
impact.ese.ic.ac.uk...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

Sorry about that. Posted too early.
Here is the other software program link that can be used to study impact scenarios.
impact.ese.ic.ac.uk...

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaxBlack
I no longer stunned on ATS at what constitutes a real "Thread".

I am old fashioned, but any thread effort posted with no links, no pictures and no real conspiratorial discussion is exactly what it is. A big zero effort. A pretend thread meant to do nothing but ask a question while the OP salivates and waits for stars and flags like some Pavlovian dog.

OK, well let's say for the benefit of the thread's subject matter that someone on ATS is actually interested in wanting to know or inform themselves with information regarding impact scenarios. What now?

First off, to establish such impact findings, begin with some basic criteria and start with identifying whether impact will be by a asteroid, a comet, a planet, a dwarf star, space debris,etc. etc. Size and speed are important factors.

Next on the list of things to do for those that seek to understand impact scenarios is to acquire a software program that can visualize such concerns. Visit one of the many Internet sites that allows those so interested to study impact scenarios from the many different objects in question. Such programs allow you to use size speed and other factors to see just how an impact might look.

To determine how specifically an impact in Colorado will effect the west or east coast first requires some initial information and data to calculate or predict such impact effects, but it can be done and those so interested should begin to inform themselves with just how the different impact scenarios will look and or influence human life on planet earth.

Only in such a way will impact scenarios make any sense, because to discuss such a topic with no relevant external information is ludicrous and promotes more ignorance than the goal of enlightening the masses.

In closing, I would say that this topic is a very valid subject matter, but it was not presented in such a way and so if no one uses the thread to discuss the threads topic, then in my honest opinion, the thread is a bust, failure and a complete waste of time to consider or read for it provides nothing of substance.

To do legitimate impact scenarios and to better understand what such impacts will look like or what their overall effect will be, begin by visiting the following link and in doing so, you will be able to start playing with impact scenarios. This is of course if you truly want to study impact scenarios and their effects.

Of course if you are so lazy as to not have the time or the cerebral energy to figure out how to use such a impact scenario program, then perhaps such impact scenario matters should be left to those that actually can grasp the understanding enough to present material in some logical manner.

Even if that material is just for the sake of generating discussion it should begin with some actual effort and in my opinion this thread lacked all the elements of what should be allowed to be posted as a ATS thread for others discussion and reading concerns. It should serve as a model for what will eventually fail because it of course had nothing to offer ATS readers but a "question" as its premise for thread creation.

Anyway with all that being said, take a look at the link that I am providing. I feel that it will help those that are truly wanting to understand impact scenarios. It is the least I can do to help others get informed. Thanks for the memories.

www.space.com...

boo hoo. If someone didn't know how to check things out or didn't have the time or had a disability that prevents them from sitting or typing for a long time, wouldn't this be the best spot to question the experts? I don't necessarily agree with minimal threads, but, posts like yours waste my valuable time and make me more stupid in the process. I find the question very interesting and I will do some research on this. Specifically, what size of comet spells end of life on Earth.

new topics

top topics

join